1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

A Finnish civilization

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by paaltio, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Finmaster

Finmaster The White Ghost

Ooh darn it stopped working when I installed the new patch :(

2. Ukas

Ukas Pthooey of Tomainia

My Tomainia mod will have Field Marshal C.G.E.Mannerism as a leader of Infidelia. How about that? There's a pic and a newsclip of him in Tomainia daily.

3. Sims2789

Sims2789 Fool me once...

i figured out a way to get a new civ not to crash. all u do is have no leaderhead.
    ________
    Custom

4. Ukas

Ukas Pthooey of Tomainia

Hey, I am making a new winter uniformed Sissi Finnish flavour unit, based on the shadow infantry unit by Piernik. Just wanted to announce in case if someone here is already making something of a kind so I can save the trouble - I just started to work with it.

Any thoughts? Will have attack, run, death, default and victory animations - perhaps fidget where he smokes a cigarette or something. No skiing, that I can tell you. I will not send the whole flic yet, since only one attack direction is ready but I'll enclose a single pic of it.

It will have civ specific color arm band and cockade (kokardi). Problem is that arm band is perhaps too small for lighter colors and you may not be able to tell difference with every civ. Stronger colors like German blue and Roman red will look ok.

Attached Files:

5. Kahkonen

Kahkonen Chieftain

I am making FinlandMod for CivIII (see http://koti.mbnet.fi/kahoset/civ.htm).

Civ Finland
    Leader: vaka vanha Väinämöinen (flics and pics)
    Sciences: Religious & Scientific (Finns *are* rel and sci, aren't?)
    Advances: Bronze working, warrior code
    Sp. unit: Korpisoturi (6/11/2) (<>Infantry)

Files
    Changed:
    Civ3Mod.bic - added civ Finland and unit Korpisoturi
    Art\units\units_32.pcx - added pic of Korpisoturi
    Text\Civilopedia.txt - added civ Finland and unit Korpisoturi (texts)
    Text\PediaIcons.txt - added civ Finland and unit Korpisoturi (paths)

Added:
    Art/flics/VA_*.flc - Finland-animations
    Art/leaderheads/VA_*.pcx - Finland-faces
    Art/advisors/VA_all.pcx - Finland-faces
    Art\units\Korpisoturi\*.* - Korpisoturi-animations
    Art\Civilopedia\Icons\units\66*.pcx - Korpisoturi
    Art\Civilopedia\Icons\Races\Suomi*.pcx - Finland-faces

About Continuation war (1941-44)... Soviet Union started it (and Winter War 39-40 also).

6. Finmaster

Hmmm... Finnish haven't really been religious for a long time, I'd say that the Finnish culture in general has changed incredibly much over the last 100 years. I'd say that if you want to make it look like a Finnish civilization in the 19th century (or before that), then it should be religious and militaristic (Finnish way of thinking was extremely pro-war until the 1918 civil war... if you don't believe me, just read the books and poems of our "national poets" like Runeberg).

And if you want to make it look like a current-day Finnish culture, then one trait would prolly be commercial and the other would be either industrious or scientific.

7. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Cool! At last someone made it! :) Does it always crash? How big is the file? Anyway, it sounds cool! Great!

Wizard :jump:

8. Kahkonen

Kahkonen Chieftain

Hi, you can now download my mod from my homepages (see http://koti.mbnet.fi/kahoset/civ.htm). It is about 600 kb, but there are no leaderhead-flics in zip, because they take 8 Mb. If you want to test the mod, please copy and rename some other leaderhead files (eg CA_*.flc -> VA_*.flc).

---
    Why I choose those sciences? I wanted some from older times and some new.
    Religious: Finns have always respected rulers and God (not so much nowadays, in general, but in pre-50's). Example: Finland in 1932, mutiny of far right-wing Lapua movement (Lapuan liike) activated. The troops came together in Mäntsälä. This is known as Mutiny of Mäntsälä (Mäntsälän kapina). What did government and president Pehr Evind Svinhufvud, Ukko-Pekka? He spoke on radio and said: "Rebels in Mäntsälä! Please go home and calm down." And they obeyed.
    Scientific: Nokia :)

9. Kahkonen

Kahkonen Chieftain

As you may notice, it is only beta-version :).

10. OmniMower

OmniMower Codename Synrise

Hehe.... some finns to bash is always fun ;) .... great work guys ! :goodjob:

...but, being scientific just bcoz of Nokia???? ... nah...

11. Finmaster

it crashes if you play it with 1.29. Play it with older version and it won't.

12. Kahkonen

Kahkonen Chieftain

Ok, not just 'cos Nokia, let's recall eg Linus Torvarlds (linux), Jarkko Oikarinen (irc) and ... also big parts of spaceships (of ESA) are made in Finland.

FinMaster, have you copied some leaderhead flics to Väinämöinen flics (eg art/flics/CA_*.flc -> art/flics/VA_*.flc).

I have 1.29f. Happily, it works fine on my Civ. :D

13. Kyborgi

Kyborgi Chieftain

Try to re-install civ, it worked on my mod.

14. OmniMower

... so you are making em scientific bcoz of some stuff they come up with the last 15 years? Still dont make any sense ....

15. frekk

frekk Scourge of St. Lawrence

Well .. he did say to represent modern Finland, and that would certainly fit ... thats a long list of accomplishments for a tiny country to make in 15 years!!! I'd say they'd have to be fairly scientific to do so!

16. Kahkonen

Kahkonen Chieftain

Yes yes, I wanted also something from modern times.

17. OmniMower

..ok, ok, you dont have to blow up for that case ;) ...just wanted to start a discusion.

18. Kahkonen

Kahkonen Chieftain

19. AKauhanen

AKauhanen Civ3 graphics for Civ4

Perkele erikoisyksiköks myös Hakkapeliitta-ratsuväki! Liikkuminen 3 ja korvessa ei movepenaltyy. Niinkuin ois jo. Kiitos olen puhunut.

Ja sama englanniks et kaikki ymmärtää:

You great and wise one, what if you made the Hakkapeliitta-Knight/Cavalry unit to be the Finnish civs UUnit. Move 3 and no move penalty in forest.

Thank you in advance:

No ei läppää vaan oli hyvä duuni pojat jatkakaa samaa mallii ja viedään Suomee maailmankartalle =)

20. Ville

Ville Chieftain

Nice translation:goodjob:

BTW has anyone made this for PTW
    EDIT: I'll do it for Conquests