A little trick to avoid having to restart the game.

Bobert13

Prince
I'm really not sure how many people could find this of use, and I'm not entirely sure Tutorials & References is the best subforum for this post but I figured I'd share as I've found this to be extremely helpful.

In the event that you crash map spawning during a test, and have no menu available, you can force the game to advance through the FireTuner console. Simply alt+tab out, and on the "Map" tab of FireTuner, click "Add Road". When you alt+tab back into the game, you will have some UI elements that you didn't previously have, and you'll be able to pull up the menu by pressing the escape key on your keyboard (allowing you to respawn the map after correcting the error in your script).

Back in Civ V, this type of error caused a turn 0 loss, forcing you back out to the main menu of the game. For a while, I was killing Civ BE through the task manager and restarting it. With this trick, iteration, implementation, and debugging maps and mapscripts in-game is much quicker than it's ever been in a Civ game. Once they release WorldBuilder this will be less important to know, but still a useful trick.

When i'm working with my mod where i replace a lot of textures, i just use the debug console to reload texture after every edit i do. Makes for a nice workflow when you want to try out a lot of changes. Thought i'd mention it even though it's not about coding, but still on topic.

Top Bottom