A major mod idea/suggestion/request: "Classical Mode"

Krajzen

Deity
No idea if such thing is even moddable, but if it is then I think it had to emerge sooner or later, and someone has to say it, as I am almost certain there will be a significant demand for this concept...

...Choose Every Culture in the Ancient Era: every player can choose every culture already in the ancient era. Some gentle UI for this would ve useful, in the worst case human would be just forced to scroll alphabetically. It wouldn't play any worse than civ, in which factions have wildly different eras in which they can actually use their abilities. In the worst cases some bonuses, problematic in such setup, could be simply modded.

That could be in fact a separate mod, while a second mod would build on this foundation and go a step further :

...Classical/Civilization mode: every player can choose every culture already in the ancient era and nobody is allowed to switch them later, so basically we play in this regard like in the usual 4X game, just this time choosing the faction in the very early game rather than in the menu screen.

"Why on Earth would you like to do that, that's the point of a game!"

There are three reasons:
1) Why not? Maybe just for sheer variety.
2) Blocking cultural switches in combination with ability to set all cultures early AND a scenario editor would actually allow us to create True Start Location Earth Maps.
3) There is a growing number of critical reviews in the Internet which seem to endorse game's mechanics over civ's mechanics, while simulanneously having very mixed or negative feelings of how constant cultural switching actually Feels in terms of Immersion and AI opponents having any Recognizable Identity instead of being just colors in the map and 'cosplayers'.
I may or may not belong to this faction depending on how will I feel during further days of much more gameplay...

I've heard that there'll be modding tools coming up. in three months I guess.

Mine will be focusing on units. with Bombard being the first (Should be in LATE Medieval), then adding Bayonet ability to Linear Infantry and Rifles (more defenses against heavy cavalry charge, though this ability on rifles is not so relevant anymore but just add it), and anticav ability to HMGs. Two 'generic' assault units; Shock Cavalry (generic choices that French Cuirassier replaces, wields saber), and Landships (which should look more or less like 40k Leman Russ :p )

...Classical/Civilization mode: every player can choose every culture already in the ancient era and nobody is allowed to switch them later, so basically we play in this regard like in the usual 4X game, just this time choosing the faction in the very early game rather than in the menu screen.

You can KINDA get this to work if you manage to get several "stubborn" AIs personas, which keep the same culture for the whole game. And for you a house rule not changing.

I absolutely love the suggestion in the original post!

My solution would be for a free game update that simultaneously allowed you to create multiple Avatars and to set each Avatar's preferred Culture in each era. You could create an Avatar that looks like Gandhi who always chooses Harrapans -> Mauryans -> Khmer -> Mughals -> Siamese -> Indians, and guarantee that it'll get them if all the other Avatars have different set preferences

Top Bottom