A question to warmongers...

On my latest games with Tokugawa, I waged war early, before even math and construction, I managed to catch Turks offguard and I steamrolled over them... The chariots and swordsmen just punished them :) I guess early warring is not a bad thing at all... and to my suprise I managed to pull of some tough rolls, like 45% chance of winning but my swordsmen managed to finish archers without losing one man...

I heard that veteran warmongers beat the game way before modern era... But doesn't it spoil all the fun of having nukes and marines and blitzing tanks and modern infantries? What do you think of that? Does any warmonger out there wait till modern era to wage war?

I personally dont play a lot of warmongering but I would like to wage war with gunships and tanks rather than trebs and cats...

Yes is spoils some of the fun, depends a lot on the map layout also.
Treb war IS a late war. I often kill off one with axes and the next one with sword+axe+cats. And yes it gets somewhat repetetive when I for the 100th time choose steel for lib and steem err steel roll the rest with cannons+whatever.

Yes is spoils some of the fun, depends a lot on the map layout also.
Treb war IS a late war. I often kill off one with axes and the next one with sword+axe+cats. And yes it gets somewhat repetetive when I for the 100th time choose steel for lib and steem err steel roll the rest with cannons+whatever.

But still game offers a lot of options, but I guess warmongering or peacemongering has some guidelines to follow...

Steel means machine gun :) great defensive unit :D I often use them to surround enemy cities to supress them...

Question here: How exactly do most people wage medieval wars? I do them and I conquer cities, but they seem very costly compared to all the other eras. (including classical!) With my enemy having castles in every city, my catapults and trebuchets seem to only whittle down 4 - 6% at a time, meaning you either have to sit outside the city for three or four turns or attack with only some of the defense removed. Is this normal?

Also my city raider trebuchets don't have a perfect survival rate against longbows... they kill them, but not without losses. Which only compounds with my barrage problem at the next castle. Even when churning out trebuchets back at the home front... trebs don't grow on trees! They're freakin' expensive. :p

And no, I can't use spies to remove city defenses. At that point in the game I don't nearly have enough espionage for that costly mission.

This is where your spies and great generals come in handy. Spies can drop the city defenses for a big push. Generals can give more XP to your catapults to give them the city siege promotion to help break down those defenses

This is where your spies and great generals come in handy. Spies can drop the city defenses for a big push. Generals can give more XP to your catapults to give them the city siege promotion to help break down those defenses

1. The spy mission takes around 800 espionage, maybe 400 if the spy is stationary. At any rate I don't have nearly enough espionage at that point in the game unless I got a few Great Spies from the GW. Mentioned this in my post...

And no way am I attaching a great general to something as expendable as a seige weapon. :crazyeye: Besides the barrage promotion (which I assume is what you're talking about) is easy enough to reach on your own, you just need a barracks and vassalage/theocracy/settled GG. But barrage catepults only take 4% off a castle, and trebuchets 6%. It's slow eating.

Question here: How exactly do most people wage medieval wars? I do them and I conquer cities, but they seem very costly compared to all the other eras. (including classical!) With my enemy having castles in every city, my catapults and trebuchets seem to only whittle down 4 - 6% at a time, meaning you either have to sit outside the city for three or four turns or attack with only some of the defense removed. Is this normal?

Also my city raider trebuchets don't have a perfect survival rate against longbows... they kill them, but not without losses. Which only compounds with my barrage problem at the next castle. Even when churning out trebuchets back at the home front... trebs don't grow on trees! They're freakin' expensive. :p

And no, I can't use spies to remove city defenses. At that point in the game I don't nearly have enough espionage for that costly mission.

At low difficulties it doesn't matter, but at high difficulties I'd advocate a combination of spies and siege, and using the siege promotions very carefully.

First off, you'll probably know who you'll be attacking, so focus EP on him early to build up some EP. A medieval war implies successful REX, so you should have at least 8-10 cities and hopefully be picking on someone that isn't too advanced/huge.

Bombard cities that don't have castles. Put spies into cities with castles in advance to get the stationary discount, and you should be able to drop 2-3 cities this way, more if you use the EP slider (if you have the crappy PRO trait or stone, or especially both, you might as well put up castles too, given their cheapness, trade route, and EP multiplier).

Now for promo and unit mix. I like knights a lot, but they're even later than trebs normally. This means your stack is probably trebs, maces, pikes/elephants, and perhaps a couple horse archers or longbows or whatever to keep xbows off of you. I like putting some trebs down the barrage line and others down the CR line. Barrage is better when you have very low odds of winning, might as well max out collateral. CR can be the difference between keeping the unit or not though so it's also helpful and I use both quite a bit.

Also remember that when you have few defenders, you might be better off using a withdrawal horse archer or other unit on the longbow rather than the treb. You want as many attackers surviving as possible.

It's definitely doable on all speeds except quick IMO, but obviously epic or marathon make this much, much easier.

More trebuchets? Especially a few with the accuracy promotion. I don't like spies just because they're a hassle to use but then again TMIT usually knows what he's talking about. But if you're not going to use spies, seriously just build more trebuchets. I've found that running out of siege during a war is a problem, so use the whip! You can replenish your siege in no time if you're not afraid of losing a few population points. I don't use huge stacks in the medieval times; at most they're three "rows" (about thirty?) and a lot of those units are siege.
As TMIT pointed out, use accuracy, barrage, and city raider trebuchets in combination: accuracy (a few go a long way) to take out that defense, barrage to soften up the hard targets (like knights that do well against any medieval siege), and then CR to grind into a pulp. Then clean up. I find that having a few knights or horsemen in the stack help prevent the enemy from using collateral to any effect. Xbows are necessary.
PS I think the person who commented on the Great General was talking about settling the GG: you can usually get a two-promotion siege from a city that way.

Trebuchets are the answer, try whipping for them, or use vassalage and the religion civic gives xp bonus, build the nation epic and a war academy so get maximum xp available and build military units fast as you can... :)

1. The spy mission takes around 800 espionage, maybe 400 if the spy is stationary. At any rate I don't have nearly enough espionage at that point in the game unless I got a few Great Spies from the GW. Mentioned this in my post...

And no way am I attaching a great general to something as expendable as a seige weapon. :crazyeye: Besides the barrage promotion (which I assume is what you're talking about) is easy enough to reach on your own, you just need a barracks and vassalage/theocracy/settled GG. But barrage catepults only take 4% off a castle, and trebuchets 6%. It's slow eating.
With enough trebs you can take down a city's defences in one turn, two for sure. Give them city raider promotions instead of barrage. I find they tend to survive better that way. I actually had one survive with a 1% chance earlier. That made me happy for a while. :)

Or beeline artillary, you can sure get it way before its time, so instead of treb or cannon, you can use them :D

Or beeline artillary, you can sure get it way before its time, so instead of treb or cannon, you can use them :D

Artillery requires Rifling, Steel, and Physics. Not exactly a quick beeline. ;)

Also more and more trebuchets I suppose. I usually fill up bout one and half of those rows (smallest resolution, about 12 - 15 trebs I think?) and give about half of them accuracy. I guess the main problem isn't in the initial city but any subsequent ones, trebuchets are great but they sure like to die! Even with City Raider II. I guess part of the problem is that I'm pretty impatient in my wars, I barely even like to stop and heal (I'll usually let the healthy charge ahead while only the weakened stay behind to guard/heal) so my back-up trebuchets have difficulty reaching the front lines.

Yea beelining artillery is a long shot but it is worth it :) I play on warlord so AI cant really keep up the tech with me :)

I want to ask to warmongers, newbies and veterans alike...

I heard that veteran warmongers beat the game way before modern era... But doesn't it spoil all the fun of having nukes and marines and blitzing tanks and modern infantries? What do you think of that? Does any warmonger out there wait till modern era to wage war?

I personally dont play a lot of warmongering but I would like to wage war with gunships and tanks rather than trebs and cats...

The only thing about modern era is waiting too long to get all modern era army. Any true warmonger just simply could not wait that long.
Plus, there are 2 scenarios that makes the wait not worth it for me:
1. AIs are tech backward, in which point I roll riflemen (or older units) with tanks.. Not too much fun
2. AIs are tech forward/parallel and on par in production, in which it takes way too many military unit to take and defend AI cities. Micromanagement hell ;)

Solution to your question: Modern age start. You get to war immediately AND you have tanks.

Top Bottom