A request for a mod, or help so that I might attempt it myself

einherjar_LC

Chieftain
I am looking for a mod, or direction(read:help) so that I may attempt to make a mod, that quite simply increases unti production in marathon.

I want to keep tech research and the timeline of marathon in tact, but I would like unit production to be roughly equal to normal speed, maybe a bit longer.

This, I feel, will allow bigger armies and contribute more of an epic feel to battles.

I'm not opposed to trying to create this on my own, but not sure where to start. Also, if there is a mod out there of this nature, I'm sure someone will have done a better job than I am capable of doing. :p

Thanks for any help I receive in advance.

edit:

I did do a search of the forums myself, but did not quite find what I was looking for. I may have overlooked it though.

einherjar_LC said:
I am looking for a mod, or direction(read:help) so that I may attempt to make a mod, that quite simply increases unti production in marathon.

I want to keep tech research and the timeline of marathon in tact, but I would like unit production to be roughly equal to normal speed, maybe a bit longer.

This, I feel, will allow bigger armies and contribute more of an epic feel to battles.

I'm not opposed to trying to create this on my own, but not sure where to start. Also, if there is a mod out there of this nature, I'm sure someone will have done a better job than I am capable of doing. :p

Thanks for any help I receive in advance.

edit:

I did do a search of the forums myself, but did not quite find what I was looking for. I may have overlooked it though.

This shouldn't be too tough. Copy over your assets/XML/GameInfo/Civ4GameSpeedInfo.xml file to a new mod folder (or just to your custom assets folder if you don't want to make a mod).

Here is the info in that file for marathon:

Code:
		<GameSpeedInfo>
			<Type>GAMESPEED_MARATHON</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_MARATHON</Description>
			<Help>TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_MARATHON_HELP</Help>
			<iGrowthPercent>300</iGrowthPercent>
			[b]<iTrainPercent>200</iTrainPercent>[/b]
			<iConstructPercent>300</iConstructPercent>
			<iCreatePercent>300</iCreatePercent>
			<iResearchPercent>300</iResearchPercent>
			<iBuildPercent>300</iBuildPercent>
			<iImprovementPercent>300</iImprovementPercent>
			<iGreatPeoplePercent>300</iGreatPeoplePercent>
			<iCulturePercent>300</iCulturePercent>
			<iAnarchyPercent>200</iAnarchyPercent>
			<iBarbPercent>400</iBarbPercent>
			<iFeatureProductionPercent>300</iFeatureProductionPercent>
			<iUnitDiscoverPercent>300</iUnitDiscoverPercent>
			<iUnitHurryPercent>300</iUnitHurryPercent>
			<iUnitTradePercent>300</iUnitTradePercent>
			<iUnitGreatWorkPercent>300</iUnitGreatWorkPercent>
			<iGoldenAgePercent>200</iGoldenAgePercent>
			<iHurryPercent>33</iHurryPercent>
			<iHurryConscriptAngerPercent>300</iHurryConscriptAngerPercent>
			<iInflationPercent>10</iInflationPercent>
			<iInflationOffset>-200</iInflationOffset>
			<GameTurnInfos>
				<GameTurnInfo>
					<iYearIncrement>15</iYearIncrement>
					<iTurnsPerIncrement>200</iTurnsPerIncrement>
				</GameTurnInfo>
				<GameTurnInfo>
					<iYearIncrement>10</iYearIncrement>
					<iTurnsPerIncrement>150</iTurnsPerIncrement>
				</GameTurnInfo>
				<GameTurnInfo>
					<iYearIncrement>8</iYearIncrement>
					<iTurnsPerIncrement>40</iTurnsPerIncrement>
				</GameTurnInfo>
				<GameTurnInfo>
					<iYearIncrement>5</iYearIncrement>
					<iTurnsPerIncrement>90</iTurnsPerIncrement>
				</GameTurnInfo>
				<GameTurnInfo>
					<iYearIncrement>2</iYearIncrement>
					<iTurnsPerIncrement>60</iTurnsPerIncrement>
				</GameTurnInfo>
				<GameTurnInfo>
					<iYearIncrement>1</iYearIncrement>
					<iTurnsPerIncrement>660</iTurnsPerIncrement>
				</GameTurnInfo>
			</GameTurnInfos>
		</GameSpeedInfo>

The part I've emboldened is the value that increases/decreases how long it takes to train a unit. Under "Normal", this value is 100, the default percentage. Currently, under Marathon, this is 200 percent (twice as fast slow. 50 % means they train in half the time, thus twice as fast than the normal 100. Sorry 'bout that). Changing this value to 100 in marathon will make you be able to train units in Marathon at Normal game speeds.

For more info on how to use this file, check out this thread and this reference.

Gerikes, thanks so much for your time and help.

I will try this out and report back how it works out gameplay wise.

Here are two "wiki" references that explain alot for modding

You can go to the main page of each reference but for easier usage I linked both main index of the XML Files Index

There you can pick the file name that you want to edit or know what each tagline does....

unfortunately no one has merged the two references so you may have to check both them out to get the complete info (or in some cases one reference explains it better than the other one)

CIV4Wiki - Great Reference Site

http://civ4wiki.com/wiki/index.php/Xml_files

MODiki - Another Great Reference Site

http://modiki.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Reference_xml

there sites explain many of the tags/files/data

I also chose the XML files Index because XML files are pretty straightforward, easy to modify for beginner Modders and you can still do alot....

some example of XML only Modding include creating New Units/Unique Units/Buildings/and Wonders

(of course you can make Unique graphics/models/animations/movies but that is alittle more indepth... but not too hard)

If you want more info... just post again! ;)

Hope this helps! :D

Officer Renee, thank you very much for even more useful information.

einherjar_LC said:
Officer Renee, thank you very much for even more useful information.

any other info you need?

just post :D

Ok, I've tried this several different ways and the way that works out best in my opinion is quick game speed unit production on epic game speed.

If you jump the unit production one level from say, normal to epic, you really don't feel much difference in game play. Where as changing it to reflect 2 levels of production difference gives me the quicker unit production I'm looking for without wrecking gameplay at all.

All I changed was unit production speed after the units became available through normal research. All other game parameters were comeasurate with the selected gamespeed.

Thanks again for the help to everyone. I was able to mod the game into exactly what I was looking for.

Top Bottom