about Free religion . . .

Nicci

Warlord
i founded Buddhism (i built the shrine) and i discoverd libaralism. normally i would switch to free religion imedialtely, but now i'm in doubt: do i loose my income from all buddist cities when i switch to free religion?

if you change to free religion though, you cant see all the ciyies with buddhism in them

good news. i would be a shame to switch to free religion and loose all that hard work converting halfe the world . . .

you'll notice that in time, most of them, that don't have a own religion, will "convert" to free religion. My advice would be, to hold on to your position for as long, as most of them still have it, otherwhise just switch too. No point in allowing them to boost their research while you don't.

What you do lose, though, is the diplomatic bonus for having the same religion. So if you're Buddhist and so are many other civs, if you switch to Free Religion first, you lose the diplo bonus. Which, with some civs, can be very big.

Then again, it happens sooner or later anyway - indeed, most civs that don't have a Holy City will switch to Free Religion.

If you have University of Shankore or Spiral Minaret then you lose their abilities.

Pitboss said:
You'll still get coinage from them, and even more if they've several religions.

Will foreign cities continue to give you money once you've switched to Free Religion? What about if their civilisation(s) switch to Free Religion before you do?

^^^You still earn shrine income from all cities, foreign or domestic. If they switch to free religion first, you still lose the "We care for our brothers and sisters..." bonus, but if you switch to free religion after that, you receive a "same civics" bonus. This is smaller and generally won't grow as fast unless you have multiple matching civics. The more that match, the larger the "same civic" bonus.

EDIT: Not called "same civic" bonus, just can't remember the exact modifier.

What you do lose, though, is the diplomatic bonus for having the same religion.

That's the biggest one for me. Not seeing into other cities is a bummer, but in one fell swoop going from Pleased to Cautious with half the civs can be scary. Once I switched to Free Religion and the next turn Izzy, Monte and Julius closed borders with me and stopped all trade with me. Within five turns, they had all declared war on me. (Before FR, I was the founder of Judaism, which I had spread to all three of them, and had large "brothers of faith" bonuses.)

Top Bottom