Accurate Earth Map (132 x 64)

You should make Earth maps of every projection!

Thanks for considering this - moving it all one tile South sounds like the best compromise to me.

I tested it and it looks okay, so I'll probably do it.

You should make Earth maps of every projection!

Well, given that there is virtually an unlimited number of map projections, that's an impossibility, I'm afraid! I don't even have the free time to make maps in the most well-known projections. The gigantic one I am currently doing was a lot of work, again, and there is still some to do before I can publish it.

Any screenshots of the new map?

I haven't placed any rivers yet, and I am still trying to sort out a graphics glitch towards the right edge of the map (if anyone knows how to help with that, please do!). So I am reluctant to post screenshots just yet.

Please be patient. I think the map should be ready for publishing by the end of the month, barring unforseen circumstances.

Hi! Your map is larger than what I tend to play on, and I prefer to play on maps where mountain ranges and such are fitted around potential city sites (Santiago will never work on the narrow strip real-world geography mandates on an accurate map of this resolution), but have to say I really like how you've realised the concept you're aiming for and found your map helpful in projects of my own!

Hi! Your map is larger than what I tend to play on, and I prefer to play on maps where mountain ranges and such are fitted around potential city sites (Santiago will never work on the narrow strip real-world geography mandates on an accurate map of this resolution), but have to say I really like how you've realised the concept you're aiming for and found your map helpful in projects of my own!

Thank you. If you find my map helpful for your own projects, that is great. Good luck with your New Terra maps!

I think perhaps regarding the couple of people who were irked, to say the least, at you calling this an "accurate" earth map, you would have saved yourself alot of trouble if you had simply called it "Accurate area Earth Map".

I think perhaps regarding the couple of people who were irked, to say the least, at you calling this an "accurate" earth map, you would have saved yourself alot of trouble if you had simply called it "Accurate area Earth Map".

Maybe, but then again, I explained the choice of title in the very first post. I said there that it is not meant to be a boast. As someone with an interest in cartography and map projections, I am well aware of the fact that all cylindrical maps of the Earth are inaccurate in one way or another. Calling my map "Accurate Earth Map" was merely, as I explained, a statement of design philosophy. Most Earth maps for Civilization don't strive for geographical accuracy of any kind at all. They enlarge Europe, they enlarge Japan, they reduce Africa and the Pacific Ocean, they for some reason tend to feature huge polar regions (despite the fact that it is pretty useless terrain)... And that's alright, there are some very nice free-form maps like that. But mine has a different design philosophy, and I wanted to make that clear in the title right away.

I could have called it "Accurate Area Earth Map", or "Cylindrical Equal-Area Earth Map". But those titles sound kind of unwieldy. And secondly, it would have been an unwarranted reduction. While much of people's attention, and the subsequent discussion, has been about the equal-area projection, the fact is that I spent a large amount of time striving to produce an accurate map in other respects as well. Vegetation zones, river placement, resource placement... I did more research on resource placement than on anything else, actually.

Hence the title, and if some people take it as a boast and consider me an idiot because of it, then so be it. But they should have just read the explanation, really.

Thanks for posting this update! I can't wait to check it out --I may just jump in and play a game with it and watch it unfold.

Any way to get this to work with Rise of Mankind (I play the old version, because the new version "a new dawn" crashes later in the game)? I load the mod, start the map as a custom scenario, then it says I have been defeated, and I do into the losing screens. Am I missing something? I haven't played Civ4 in a long time.

Any way to get this to work with Rise of Mankind (I play the old version, because the new version "a new dawn" crashes later in the game)? I load the mod, start the map as a custom scenario, then it says I have been defeated, and I do into the losing screens. Am I missing something? I haven't played Civ4 in a long time.

The map is designed to work with the vanilla game, not with mods. It might work with some mods, but not with others, depending on what that mod changes. I don't play Rise of Mankind, so I have no insight into where exactly the problem is. I believe that mod uses a different terrain palette than the vanilla game (they have a Marsh terrain, for instance), so that might have something to do with it. Or it could be another compatibility problem.

I'm afraid I can't really help you with this. But maybe the Rise of Mankind guys can?

I really like this map because of the fact that it is an equal area projection. I'm so sick of Earth maps full of unproductive Canadian and Russian tundra.

I just now found this awesome map, thanks!
Btw, it's so funny to see some of these pathetic losers cry about "low number of downloads" or other things that they are unable to understand LOL.

Interesting map. I think you should sacrifice some resources accuracy for better balance (look at Mali). In the end, if map has to be playable, it needs to be balanced.

Top Bottom