Adding some personality

ioncat

Chieftain
Hey guys. First post here. Hope this is in the right spot.

So I was super let down by the complete lack of personality shown in the default factions. Like many, I downloaded the mod that allows the factions from Alpha Centauri into the game. The mod used art assets from AC, which was nice for nostalgia, but...ugly.

I also noticed that when using faction mods, you have to lower your settings to the lowest for leaderscreens, resulting in simple screenshots of the faction leaders.

Well. I decided that I didn't want the old AC art, and I didn't care for the crappy faction leader design in BE anyhow. Since I was forced to use the 2d images, I thought I'd add some personality.

So here is some of my work. At this point I've done one for every faction in the Unity mod, and all of the base factions. I've used artwork from all over the web, so if I release it as a mod I'll add the sources if I can find them.

Overall I've tried to stay as close to the lore (for both games) as possible, while also updating everything to a more modern (and fitting to BE) feel.

What do you guys think?

I've used artwork from all over the web, so if I release it as a mod I'll add the sources if I can find them.
That can get you into real trouble if you happen to use artwork by someone who's small enough to care about your use of his material. If you use Artwork that is not your own, either ask for permission, use material that is licences as Creative Commons (CC) (with right to modify if you need to)... or owned by entities that are too big to care about your copyright-infringement. (<- I didn't say that!)

In any case I think just having a pic hovering at the middle of the screen looks really weird. Either crop it (which would probably not end up looking too good with pics that don't already have sharp borders to begin with) or make it look like an interface-element.

I like Svensgaard a lot and Deirdre is ok too but the others just seem too out of theme. Domai looks like Zeta moreso than himself, Koslov does not look like a general at all. and do keep in mind what Ryika said.

That can get you into real trouble if you happen to use artwork by someone who's small enough to care about your use of his material. If you use Artwork that is not your own, either ask for permission, use material that is licences as Creative Commons (CC) (with right to modify if you need to)... or owned by entities that are too big to care about your copyright-infringement. (<- I didn't say that!)

As of right now it's simply for personal use. No harm done. If released as a mod, as I said, sources would be listed and permission asked if possible (some of these images are all over the place, and sources are hard to find). I don't imagine you can get into trouble for using pictures readily available online for a non-profit personal use.

In any case I think just having a pic hovering at the middle of the screen looks really weird. Either crop it (which would probably not end up looking too good with pics that don't already have sharp borders to begin with) or make it look like an interface-element.

Yeah the pics don't do it justice. The scanlines and faded edges give it a sort of floating screen look when in game. This is a world with floating holographic computer interfaces after all. I figured it looked considerably better than the super low rez images used by the mod and base game when the 3d leaderscreens are turned off, but much of this comes down to preference I suppose.

Thanks for the input!

Moderator Action: Moved to Creation & Customization : General Modding Discussion

Top Bottom