Affinities As Yields

Updated to (v 25)

- Buildings with affinity yields now show an affinity icon in the production and buildings lists, alongside their other yields.

- City view now shows counters for the total affinity yields produced by the city, alongside the other city yields.

Also, I'm happy enough this is in a fun and playable state now that I've released it on Steam and updated the OP with a more thorough description.

Updated to (v 34)

Quite a few changes since the last release, so I'll catagorise them here:

Backend:
- Adding support for perks to change the affin yields of improvements and terrain features
- integrated Machiavelli's Policies Grant Perks snippet
- modified version of BuildingChoiceTemplateQuest.lua to change building quests.

Virtues:
- Changing Adaptive Sciences virtue - now gives +20% to all affinity yields in your capital city.
- Changing Ecoscaping virtue to apply to Hybrid Jungle as well as Terrascape

Tile Improvements:
- Removing base affin yields from basic tile improvements - these are now unlocked by leaf techs instead.
- generators now buildable on any resource (but does not count as improving resources, or connect strategics).
- added Hybrid Jungle improvement - a Harmony equivelant to the Terrascape, buildable only on forests
- Workers can plant forests upon researching Terraforming
- Moving Terrascape to a leaf tech, so the AI is less likely to spam them everywhere

Buildings:
- added Library Server building as a Supremacy alternative to Relic. It's building quest can remove this supremacy yield.
- Changed building quest for Relic - one option removes it's Purity yield.
- Changed building quest for Cytonursery - One choice replaces base Purity yield with Harmony and buffs city HP
- Removed base affin yield from Vivarium and changing it's quest: Food choice grants Purity yield, Science choice grants Harmony yield
- added Arbor Mill building - boosts production from forests, is mutually exclusive with Mass Digester

Misc:
- Affinity level thresholds increase at a more exponential curve then before. I.e. early levels will be earned more quickly and later ones more slowly.

Did you make any changes to the BuildingChoiceTemplateQuest.lua apart from adding your custom buildings to the BuildingChoices table? I'm thinking of making a modular system for building quests and am wondering if I should account for any changes you made. It would be nice to have something a little more open for everyone to use and I don't think it'll take me more than an afternoon.

EDIT: I actually went ahead and just made/tested it tonight. Here is an early version if you think it will help. It should ease up an compatibility issues with other mods who plan to add building quests.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13768656#post13768656

Yeah, would be nice if you could implement lilgamefreeks method to solve the compatibility issues. Just got a report on my Building Quests Trigger Instantly mod, as it overrides the same file. lilgamefreeks method solves that issue and makes it compatible with other mods that add/edit building quests/trigger chances, etc.

Update to ( v 35 )

Implemented lilgamefreek's Modular Building Quests system

New/changed building quests for:

- Laboratory (harmony or science)
- Recycler (supremacy & food or culture)
- Arbor Mill (energy or production)
- Water Plant (food or harmony)
- Network (supremacy or culture)
- Pharmalab (supremacy or health)
- Autoplant (purity & culture or supremacy & free maintainance)
- Launch Complex (orbital coverage or unit production & supremacy)

First off, absolutely fantastic mod. I love the way that it makes the game play, where if I truly want to rush an Affinity, I have to focus my buildings in certain ways (Harmony instead of Supremacy? Spam Laboratories instead of Thorium Reactors). Makes for a much more interesting game, and I feel this is the way affinities should have been handled in the base game.

One question though - you said in one of the previous changelogs that you removed the base affinity yields from tile improvements - was this meant to include plantations? Whenever I settle a city next to, say, fruit, I end up going harmony because plantations still yield a base yield of +1 Harmony. Not sure if this was intentional or not.

Again, great mod, and I look forward to seeing what happens with it in the future!

EDIT: Checking through some of my past games, I also realized that by having plantations give Harmony, the AI almost invariably goes Harmony. They pick up plantations as top priority, never choose not to work it, and then get Harmony as the dominant affinity before they can even get one of the other affinities started.

@GenEngineer, glad you're enjoying it.

The harmony yield from Plantations is intentional, it was meant to provide an early source of Harmony to counter the early Purity/Supremacy available from the Relic and Library, but it may be a little too strong.

I'm toying with the idea of having a trio of mutually-exclusive national wonders to unlock affin yields from the basic tile improvements, instead of having them unlock directly from techs. The AI usually ends up getting all three of those techs eventually, and so gets roughly equal amounts of all three affinities from worked plots, but national wonders might lock them into one or the other.

It's been a while, but I finally put in those mutually exclusive national wonders I mentioned in the previous post... plus a whole bunch of other changes.

Updated to ( v 46 )

Complete overhaul of which buildings provide affinity and how much.
- Buildings with an affinity level prerequisite now yield that number of points per turn, creating more of a snowball effect where gaining a few levels enables you to gain future levels quicker.
- Some buildings are now grouped into mutually exclusive trios (one yielding each affinity), so that only one of that trio can be built in a city.
- All wonders give percentage modifiers to affinity yields (sometimes to more than one).

Added several new buildings
- Municipal Yeastworks
- Milk Orchard
- Extrusion Works
- Sonic Minefield
- Colonial Seedbank
- Colonial Power Grid
- Colonial Nature Reserve
- Imperial Mining Guild
- Imperial Defense Net
- Imperial Forestry Comission

Basic Tile Improvements like mines, farms and generators no longer yield affinity by default. These yields are unlocked by building a Colonial or Imperial Wonder.

Added rudimentry AI helper script, to ensure AI always builds the new Colonial and Imperial wonders.

Added compatability with Awesome Affinities (And Delayed Victories) and ImprovedAffinity mods.

Added custom icons for the new buildings, including coloured versions to work with the Colorful Tech Web mod.

Amazing! Glad to see you are still working on the mod, since it really is a game changer compared to how boring affinity is in vanilla.

Are you planning to do anything with the new hybrid affinity system from Rising Tide? Since you can now get some very powerful bonuses from leveling up the minor affinities, it might be worth making those levels harder to get on your off affinity. In previous playthroughss, I got high levels on the other affinities without even trying-although it sounds like the natural wonder solution should help reduce those free points.

EDIT: Just took a peek through the new buildings, and I definitely like what I see. Seems like you took the affinity points off of basic buildings like the cyrtonursury and the thorium reactor, but left in the option in some of the building quests. I think that alone will go a long way towards limiting off affinity points. I also like how you have the option to take, say, a Harmony Colonial wonder with a Purity Imperial wonder, which really fits with hybrids. That alone gives nine unique approaches to affinity gain, which is a huge improvement over the old system.

The only critique I'll add is that I would nerf the harmony from Biowells. The AI LOVE this improvement, almost more than terrascapes. In the previous version, I put it at +1 harmony, although it might be worth having it be an affinity neutral improvement like the academy.

Good Afternoon,

I tried the trick of reloading the mods to make the uit screen come up... still not working .... any ideas?

Good Afternoon,

I tried the trick of reloading the mods to make the uit screen come up... still not working .... any ideas?

Both BERT and the patch to vanilla that happened at the time of it's release broke this mod. (because I'm using custom versions of a whole bunch of user interface lua scripts, and the patch/DLC changed those.) So it hasn't been working for anyone the past week or two.

I've just uploaded a new version that works with Rising Tide, and hope to have a non-Rising-Tide version up in a couple of days.

Updated to ( v 49 ) *This version requires Rising Tide, and will not work without it.
------------------------------
Updated UI overrides to work with BERT.

Added affinity yields to new BERT wonders.
Added diplo capital yields to the mutualy-exclusive variants of the Old Earth Relic and Civil Creche.

Added appropriate affinity yields to new aquatic tile improvements (when correct colonial/imperial wonder is built)

Awesome. I had much the same idea but was told you couldn't create new yields without hacking the binary, which is way beyond my skills.

Had you actually seen my mod-design idea thread, HandyVac? It seems like we are totally on the same page.

I would really love to see the affinities cause-and-force really different playstyles to each other, in a self-reinforcing loop, and love factions that pursue each to have a radically and visibly different impact on the planet. See my first post in that thread for how I thought that could work out.

I can't wait to give this mod a try. Civ:BE as it was meant to be.

Incidentally, if you did want to follow your own vision as to which stuff yields which affinity, it should be fairly simple to write a mod that references this one and changes the yields from each building/improvement.

My lua code loads values from database tables, so all you'd need to do is flag Affinity As Yields as a reference/dependancy for your mod and use xml to update, delete or create new rows in those tables.

Incidentally, if you did want to follow your own vision as to which stuff yields which affinity, it should be fairly simple to write a mod that references this one and changes the yields from each building/improvement.

My lua code loads values from database tables, so all you'd need to do is flag Affinity As Yields as a reference/dependancy for your mod and use xml to update, delete or create new rows in those tables.

Awesome. So glad you found my ideas helpful.

This time of year, I'm doing a lot of travelling for work, so not as much time to play Civ as I'd like (my laptop isn't really up to the civ engine), and I'd really like to play through your mod before I start fiddling around myself. So I can't see myself getting going on a mod of my own before Christmas, if I even need to at all. Frankly, from your description, I'm not sure I will: it looks like you've done it all just as I would have liked to.

When I do get time, I may try to take a look at the fiction for tech and wonder entries. One of the things I loved in SMAC was that the leaders gave their own comments on new techs and wonders, from the perspective of their personality traits, explaining what was good (or bad) about the tech you'd just invented from their point of view. That really added to flavour, and helped deal with the problem of all sci-fi future tech that we don't really understand it, or think of it as "you've just invented horsemen, but with lasers".

If we invented three philosophical thought-leaders for the Affinities to give commentary on precisely why tech X was "a crucial step forward towards realising our destiny" (or was something that "may have limited xeno-infections, but only at the cost of losing a piece of humanity's soul"), then that combined with the visible impact your mod will have in terms of faction land being covered with affinity-relevant improvement should really boost the flavour of BE/BERT.

I can just see the flavour text starting out hopeful/worried, and progressing through excited/scared to fanatical/desperate, as you move deeper into the tech web and unlock improvements more crucial/inimical to particular affinities.

We'd have to get some volunteers to be "voice-actors", but there must be some possibilities in the civfanatics community who wouldn't mind reading a script.

Likewise, the quests, especially for building upgrades, could really use a look. The Firaxis fiction on these is very good, but many of bonuses need changing to make which choice is best depend on what strategy you're playing. Or have you already had a go at that? Do you know if it's possible to give three choices for quests instead of two?

Perhaps I might be able to take a look at some of these aspects even when I'm away from home/my desktop gaming PC.

Presumably there's no problem with forcing a window pop-up and playing a sound file when a tech is researched, just like currently happens with wonders?

Edit: I'd love to keep this conversation going, but I just realised I shouldn't be polluting this thread in "Released mods" with my ideas; this forum is intended mainly for release announcements and support for your user community. Do you have a thread in "Mod development" or "ideas and suggestions" for chatter about future dev? If not I'll necro "Playable affinities"

Top Bottom