Age of Ice Walkthrough and explanations

Frostyboy

Never Beaten
I just finished the scenario, but still there are so many questions to this, that I've been looking for.

Is there a text document somewhere which explains the role of all the character, the marks availbe to the Children of Kylorin and so on. A kind of walkthrough and explanation to most of the aspects.

The Civiliopedia isn't that helpful regarding this.

Theres several characters and aspects which I didn't see through the game, even with Worldbuilder, for instance the Ogre Chieftain, and animal capturing, dancing bears and so on. What is Mokkas role? He dissapeard in my game.
The religious offer from the White Hand - which effects does that have if you reject them? When Taranis got loose, he just dissapeard. Thought he was goint to attack my cities.

I have tried to look around on this forum, but only a few questions I can find the answer to. Please tell me there's an easy way to learn most about this great scenario.

Animal Capturing is an ability you can give to Recon units. So Scouts. It allows them to capture an animal if they would have normally killed it. Do that to a Bear and you can bring him back to a City to build the Dancing Bears.

Ogre Chieftan IIRC is only available through a random event where the Ogre offers to join you. Won't always happen.

All I know about the White Hand is that you lose the game if you accept them in your city while you only have the starting city :)

Thanks. That explains a bit :)
I got the Ogre, but is the Chieftain an upgrade?

Yes, he can upgrade to the Warchief or to a Stoneskin Ogre.
Too bad I did't see that. He had about 90 XP, and died to a Frost Giant at last, although he had over 97% chance of winning.

But I didn't see a way to upgrade him. Which prerequisite is it for that?

That's strange. I have alle the techs, and still isn't any upgrade available for my ogre.

Ah, so the Ogre up in the northern city could suddenly turn into a Chieftain then?

By the way, do you know the mission of the different characters?
Mokka
Taranis

Like Lugh the Wolf has a pretty important key as the Doviello surrendern when he dies.
Is there perhaps something Frostling issues if Mokka is caught?
And what about the warning when you pick up the Orb of Sucellus? Taranis get's free, but so what? I thought he was going to be trouble.

Like Lugh the Wolf has a pretty important key as the Doviello surrendern when he dies.

I recall killing Lugh fairly early (via Fireballs) without making the Doviello surrender. I figured it had something to do with the number of cities they had. Perhaps it could be both: The Doviello don't surrender until they're down to one city and Lugh is dead.

...Hang on, I've just checked the python code, and found this:
Code:
		if pLoser.getUnitType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNIT_LUGH'):
			if pPlayer.getCivilizationType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_AMURITES'):
				pPlayer2 = gc.getPlayer(pLoser.getOwner())
				if pPlayer2.getNumCities() == 1:
					popupInfo = CyPopupInfo()
					popupInfo.setButtonPopupType(ButtonPopupTypes.BUTTONPOPUP_PYTHON)
					popupInfo.setData1(pLoser.getOwner())
					popupInfo.setData2(pPlayer2.getCapitalCity().getX())
					popupInfo.setData3(pPlayer2.getCapitalCity().getY())
					popupInfo.setText(CyTranslator().getText("TXT_KEY_POPUP_DEFEAT_DOVIELLO",()))
					popupInfo.setOnClickedPythonCallback("defeatDovielloFunc")
					popupInfo.addPythonButton(CyTranslator().getText("TXT_KEY_POPUP_DOVIELLO_PEACE", ()), "")
					popupInfo.addPythonButton(CyTranslator().getText("TXT_KEY_POPUP_DOVIELLO_WAR", ()), "")
					popupInfo.addPopup(pWinner.getOwner())

So, as far as I can tell, the Doviello surrender when they're down to one city and Lugh the Wolf is dead.

And on another note entirely, is Lugh the Wolf at all related to Donal Lugh?

Is there perhaps something Frostling issues if Mokka is caught?

Frostlings are undead, and Mokka's got that necromantic Cauldron wonder in FfH2 proper. I'm fairly certain I've seen fewer Frostlings after killing Mokka, but I can't be sure about anything. I don't see any mention of Mokka (either UNITCLASS_MOKKA or UNIT_MOKKA) in the Python code, so it's probably just my imagination.

And what about the warning when you pick up the Orb of Sucellus? Taranis get's free, but so what? I thought he was going to be trouble.

Taranis has attacked me before. Unfortunately, by the time you're actually able to get to the Orb of Sucellus, he's pretty pathetic compared to your troops. Or, at least, he's certainly way too easy to kill for someone who is the utterly unchanging arcangel of the God of Winter and Stasis and who managed to stymie the God of Nature in combat.

Well, he's been on that island a looooong time.

Good to look through the Python code.
Says Mokka has somehting to do with the Blizzards

if pUnit.getUnitType() == iMokka:
if CyGame().getSorenRandNum(100, "Mokka") <= iLairSpawnChance:

I am no programmer really, and at least not a Python scripter,

but this was the only place he's mentioned in the script.

Ah, that's the problem. I was looking for UNIT_MOKKA and UNITCLASS_MOKKA, but not iMokka. Okay, that gets a more meaningful result.

From onBeginPlayerTurn:
Code:
if pUnit.getUnitType() == iMokka:
	if CyGame().getSorenRandNum(100, "Mokka") <= iLairSpawnChance:
		newUnit = pPlayer.initUnit(iFrostling, pUnit.getX(), pUnit.getY(), UnitAITypes.NO_UNITAI, DirectionTypes.DIRECTION_NORTH)

I presume this means that, as I'd guessed beforehand, Mokka is capable of spawning new Frostlings.

In other words - don't get rid of him, as frostlings are a good XP source (although a bit annoying :p)

Top Bottom