AI can't win science victory

omniclast

Prince
I'm playing through an Immortal game as Germany. I am quite far behind, but the AI is unable to close out the game because it does not seem to know how to repair pillaged spaceports.

The AIs have all built multiple spaceports, and then (from what I can tell) used spies to pillage each others' spaceports. None of them has repaired a spaceport to continue the victory condition. So I am slowly catching up and now I have nukes, it looks like I'll probably win by domination. (No one is close to a culture or religious victory.)

Brazil started snowballing in science in the industrial era, and has had spaceports for something like 30-40 turns (on quick), but has only launched the satellite. I have had spies in his three cities stealing research, so I've watched him most of that time, and the spaceports have never been repaired. Kongo has spaceports in most cities, all pillaged, also just satellite. Other AIs have built spaceports, per the victory screen, but I can't see them so I don't know why they're not using them.

My guess is the AIs have not been coded to repair districts, or just place very low priority on it (similar to how they place a very low priority on upgrading units and still have a ton of slingers in the modern era). However, they appear to aggressively attack each others' spaceports, which then prevents them from actually winning a space race.

I'm not sure whether to call this a bug, or just bad AI. People are saying they ended some of their games because they were too far behind in science... but has anyone actually lost to an AI who completed the science victory? Can anyone confirm they can actually do it?

People are saying they ended some of their games because they were too far behind in science... but has anyone actually lost to an AI who completed the science victory?

I was wondering the same thing, actually. Before my kitties unplugged my computer, I was probably about 50 turns behind the AI, maybe more, but they weren't building the final spaceship parts. They got the satellite and moon landing out very quickly, but despite having had researched the science techs since like forever, they hadn't actually launched any of the final parts.

I might have been able to win the game if I had been persistent, but I figured I didn't deserve to win, so that's part of the reason I stopped.

I am not sure, but aren't repair times of districts insanely long? If i remember correctly in one of my games stupid barbarian destroyed one of my districts and repair was almost long as it took me to build it. But interesting stuff from your game, if AIs tends to do that, they will surely open path for human player even heavy behind.
...and AI should use more counterspy if they don't want their victory condition going up in flames.

Last edited:
Top Bottom