AI money

Toxicman007

Custom User Title
In my current game as China, I recently traded some techs and such with America. I traded Metallurgy for Astronomy, Printing Press and 76 gold per turn.
Now, at the time, America had about 50 gold, and had never had more than 100 throughout the whole game.

So why the sweet <snip> are they able to give me 76 gold per turn when they clearly make nothing even CLOSE to that much? I'm not exactly complaining, the 76gpt really helped me upgrade my outdated veteran Riders to Cavalry, but still...

I don't know if they had to abandon units in order to pay me, but they went the full 20 turns, paying me 76 gold every turn. My question here is how can they afford this? It's not the first time something like this has happened to me, as I've often been given 100+gpt in exchange for a tech or two, even if the civ giving me all the gold is usually quite poor and has never had much money.

Moderator Action: Innapropriate language deleted.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

They could have been getting the money in a trade or investing that money in science, so when they made the deal with you they had to turn down the science investments.

Is this conquests? Before conquests I believe there was a way to get more gpt out of an AI than it could afford.

You can find out how much income the AI has by offering a trade and asking him for 999 gold/per turn. It will change to whatever his income is (that's before any of his expenses).

Yeah, in Conquests. I remember using that glitch/bug/whatever in Vanilla to get stupid amounts of gold.

... or investing that money in science, so when they made the deal with you they had to turn down the science investments.
QUOTE]

I don't think that is possible; here is why: In the beginning stages of the game, I could be up 3 techs and offer to trade them for 1 tech, which the AI would agree to. However, if I ask for 1 gpt they turn me down - even though the trade would be a windfall for the AI. I've NEVER been able to get any gpt from the AI in the beginning. I'm sure it is due to them running at max science, and them being unable to free up that money. It's like the money they dedicate to science is not considered "tradeable" money. But then this begs the question of "where" does their "tradeable" money come from.

You never see the AI with money that isn't a multiple of 5 (well, rarely), unless you've given them an amount that will counteract that. I think the whole system of AI money is probably very basic when it comes to coding. I should look into it.

You never see the AI with money that isn't a multiple of 5 (well, rarely), unless you've given them an amount that will counteract that. I think the whole system of AI money is probably very basic when it comes to coding. I should look into it.

Is that because their starting money is 10gp and they get 25gp per barb hut? At first there is no way to spend the money and the beginning techs are all pretty much incrimental to 1gpt for an improvement. If they are running max science and taking in 0gpt, then they would naturaly sit at multiples of 5gp. Thus you would only see a change when their economy is large enough to produce excess gold that cannot be used to incrimentally increase research or they are in a government that allows them to use gold for upgrades/rushes. To my knowledge the AI never rushes anything other the units (no buildings). Not sure about that.

Top Bottom