AI's Favorite Techs

Old thread.

Doc T. has interesting comments. Having played with scientific civs, I've seen a few times that Korea will research Currency. I don't recall seeing the same thing with Greece, though their defender is stronger, and thus perhaps something with that affects other behaviors of theirs. For all I know the AIs could have different research choices because of a potential golden age?

Having played against a small set of AIs rather consistently for many 20k games/attempts I can say that I've seen multiple times that the Mongols will research Code of Laws. But Arabia and the Zulu are often in the pre-selected list. Arabia will research Polytheism, so that could end up ranked higher than Code of Laws. I guess the Zulu having a potential GA via their UU could also mean that they end up researching something other than Code of Laws. Like the AI has a tendency to put in have/aqueducts during a golden age? I guess that could explain the discrepancy between Korea and Greece, and Zulu and the Mongols.

But I think I've seen America have a tendency to research Polytheism too. ToA is just religious if I recall correctly. Maybe since wonder cascades almost surely were expected by the designers, if an AI is building a wonder already, it will have a tendency to research another wonder tech, and thus America will go the Mysticism - Polytheism path, since it has Masonry always. That could explain the Ottomans researching Polytheism too. Persia though may behave differently than the Ottomans, since they might have a golden age soon.

Does Russia have a tendency to research Code of Laws? They could, but maybe it could be harder to spot since the Mongols might have an archer or two or three instead of a warrior? Oh, but based on the wonder guess, Cathy has Bronze Working and thus would go for Masonry or Mysticism or Polytheism over Code of Laws.

I've definitely seen the Byzantines tending to research Philosophy thing as mentioned above.

Given that the AIs have tendencies to research different things, but that information gets hidden by bad starts, tech cost changes, etc. it almost seems like one would need to play several games in debug against just one AI to fully pick up on their patterns.

Probably a fluke. China got Code of Laws before Philosophy. Oh, the Zulu are on the map. I don't know them so far.

Edit: Nope. The Zulu didn't research Code of Laws. China did.

Top Bottom