Alliance? What alliance?

There is no rationality to the diplomacy. The Chinese chick "condemned" me on the turn that I hit Affinity level 12, but in the diplomacy screen she was listed as "friendly" in the turn before AND the turn after she comdemed me. Not kidding! They need to tear down all the diplomacy software and just use what they had for CIV4.

That's the 'deception' aspect of diplomacy. Sometimes they lie.

I didn't play with alliances until recently. Gave my first try at Apollo, playing as Brazilia. Thing was, until now I really hadn't been attacked by other players (I always play Single Player), and was more concerned with aliens and the odd uppity settler so my military force was minimal. And BOOM! Sneak attack by Polystralia and ARC going for my throat as I was down (This was also the first time I'd seen the "carpet of Doom" in BE).

So, the next games, I went back to Soyuz and made alliances when possible. And my third game in, Hutama was squeezed right up next to me and teching up so Alliance, Alliance, Alliance! It kinda worked, as PAV and AU, my allies, were wedged up to Poly again and strong in tech and affinity. Which, BTW, I wasn't. Bad terrain, poor planning and aliens galore... I was lagging, barely level 8 in Supremacy. But I was never attacked by Hutama, which was good as he was at least 13 in Purity.

And then Hutama completed the warp gate, and PAC and AU declared war on him. And suddenly I was at war with Hutama at 13 Purity. It... It didn't end well. So, alliances can be useful in my experience, just by intimidation alone. But they can be a double edged sword.

I've had issues where I'm at truce with an AI for about 10 turns. Then they DOW on me because someone else attacks me and they're allied with them. What the hell man! We had a truce! Why can't I condemn this guy for being an oath-breaker?

The AI certainly does it to me when I make a promise not to do something bad and the very next turn after making this promise, they condemn me for being an oathbreaker! What?

Alliances. They work for the AI... not so much for Humans.

Top Bottom