ALT Text Codes?

antares60

Chieftain
Is it possible, during a game, when naming a unit, to use a text code so that a symbol, such as a club, or a cross, appears in the unit's name? When a leader appears, I want to designate that unit with some kind of symbol, as opposed to just the name of the unit at that time.

Haha, clicked Wolfshade's link and it led to a thread that I created last year. So perhaps it's not surprising that I looked in to this thread.

In short, the symbols that you'll be able to use depend on which version of Civ3 you have, and by version, in this case, I mean which locale, such as English or Russian. Each locale uses a different ASCII code page. The English version uses Windows-1252 (and I think this applies for the Mac version as well, although as a Windows user I'm not 100% sure about that). If you're using the English version, you should be able to copy characters from that Wikipedia page and paste them in to the Rename Unit box in-game (or any other similar box), and a quick test worked for me just now. By constrast, the Russian version of Civ3 uses Windows-1251, and the symbols available are not all the same.

I don't know for sure what all the other Civ3 versions use. My guess is that other western European versions such as French and German also use Windows-1252, since that includes all the symbols needed for writing those languages. But the Chinese version, for example, uses something else. I never have found a list of all the versions of Civ3 that are out there, and I live in the U.S., where only the English version is available, so it's hard to test this sort of thing. But the takeaway from this paragraph is that, while this process will work perfectly fine on your computer (as long as you either run the English or Russian version, or can figure out which code page your version uses if it's a different one), if someone else with a different locale loads up your save file, the symbols may be different for them.

As for myself, I'm still running the Russian version of Civ3 ever since I ran a utility that said it would convert Civ3 installs to the Russian version. And it did do that successfully, it just didn't provide any way to switch back... even re-installing didn't do it. I still haven't tracked down what exactly it changed to accomplish that. Some day I hope to repeat that experiment, but in a virtual machine, and solve the mystery or what controls the code page that Civ3 uses.

I don't follow all of what Quintillus said, but anecdotally I can say that we used some non-ASCII characters in LotM: í, û, etc. I know the official editor lets you enter Unicode characters using the alt-numpad codes, and obviously the txt files will allow anything. How the game will handle it is another matter. Depending on what exactly you want to do, you may need to experiment with one or both.

Top Bottom