Amending the Constitution

Anybody can initiate legislation for the Constitution and Code of Laws.

Originally posted by chiefpaco
What does 3 mean?
How about this for a proposed amendment:

F. Forum Moderators
4. May hold positions within the Judicial Branch. May not hold positions in the Executive or Legislative Branch.

#3 means that the mods are not officials in the demo game simply because they're mods. That is, the government of the demo game is the elected officials, mods are only the CivFanatics staff.

#4 is a bit wishy washy. You don't want to do exclusions and inclusions. Stick to one or the other. Try:

4. May not hold Leadership positions in any branch except the Judicial branch.

Looks good, cp. Maybe we should take #3 out.

I like your sentence better, Shaitan. So, we'll have section F look like this?

F. Forum Moderators

1. Are responsible for handling elections and site maintenance.
2. Are responsible for enforcing Civfanatics Forum rules within the Democracy Game Forums.
3. May not hold positions in any governmental branch except the Judicial branch.

I took out "leadership" in case anyone confuses that with a deputy position. Do we need the word, "governmental"?

Many of the non-elected positions are attached to various elected offices.

3. May not hold Leader or Deputy positions in any governmental branch except the Judicial branch.

or:

3. May not hold elected positions in any governmental branch except the Judicial branch.

It's a Code of Law change, so no Council Vote. The next step is to write up a poll proposal (with all the necessities like end date, link to this discussion and the info polls, etc.). Then request Judicial Review for the proposed poll. The justices take over then and will post the actual poll after they've completed review.

Ok. Using your template. Requesting Judicial review... (and waiting for my copy of modifying the rules for dummies, a template, something...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
POLL - CITIZEN POLL FOR CHANGE IN THE CODE OF LAWS

Allow Moderators to hold positions in the Judicial branch?

Poll question and options
Do you support the changes in the Code of Law detailed in the first post below?
  • YES
  • NO
  • ABSTAIN

First post
Summary: Passing of this poll will amend the Code Of Laws allowing Moderators to hold positions within the Judicial branch of the government (Judge Advocate, Public Defender, and Chief Justice). Previously, Moderators were not allowed to hold any position within the government.

Old:
F. Forum Moderators
2. Are responsible for enforcing Civfanatics Forum rules within the Democracy Game Forums.
3. Are not officials.
4. May not hold Leader positions.

New:
F. Forum Moderators
3. May not hold elected positions in any governmental branch except the Judicial branch.

Poll particulars: This topic was discussed in this thread:Amending the Constitution.

Support for Moderators holding certain, predefined positions was shown in this poll: What level of involvement is acceptable for the Demo game moderators?

Support for Moderators more specifically holding positions in the Judicial branch was shown in this poll: INFOMATIONAL: What Positions sould Mods be able to Hold?

This poll will remain open for 48 hours or until a quorum is reached, whichever comes later to a maximum of 96 hours. Quorum for this poll is 21 votes.

Chief Justice's Review
Change to Section F, Points 3, 4 of the CoL

Upon review of the Constitution and Code of Laws, I find that this proposal does not conflict with any law or article. Therefore, despite my own opinions, this proposal passes my review.

Notes: For the proposal wording, I'd recommend stating Section F, rather than just F.

My personal opinion is that moderators still may abuse their power, and therefore urge citizens to vote against the passage of this change. Also, if it does pass, and Shaitan wants his spot on the bench back, I'm doomed...

I created additional discussion related to this topic here.

Judge Advocate Review
Code of Laws, Section F, Point 3 and 4

Moderators Holding Judicial Positions

I find that this law does not violate the constitution, or conflict with other laws or standards.

Therefore I cast my vote in favor of allowing a poll for passage.

Bill
Judge Advocate

Public Defender's Review
Code of Laws, Section F, Point 3 and 4

I find no conflict with existing Articles, Laws or standards. This poll therefore passes review.

Top Bottom