1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Amra's ALH Modpack for v1.61 (using Animated Leaderheads)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Amra, Apr 4, 2006.

1. yexusbeliever

yexusbeliever Chieftain

Bad People mod and Spymod have some python files. But I will be waiting for these two mods into your modpack. Take your time on this because I do like you to enjoy the game too and not spend all your time trying to make mods. LOL

2. Amra

Amra the Lion

Thanks. I'm trying to play it a little but I've had a few ideas for some new civs that I don't think anyone has done yet for Civ4. That, and I wanted to add a few of the nice civs/LHs that the Civ Gold team has done (with full credit, of course, to them)

So far, I have added in the Aborigines (very cool LH), Carthage & Vikings from Civ Gold. I had been wanting to get Carthage & Vikings into my mod but hadn't had any good ideas for LH's yet. Anyway, Sevo has done some nice work on the LH's in their mod. I want to add the Turks but may do that from the original Turkish mod & try my hand at a new LH for them.

I also, have added the Zulus from Mattistic's mod (which I think Civ Gold based theirs on). I think when I reach an additional 9 civs to the first 13 that I included, I will post version 1.1 - Maybe in a couple weeks

3. Toys®Us

Toys®Us Warlord

The "Introduction" (logo & music) is perfect! The animation (new leaders) is well done. The idea to show a picture when a prophet (or a great merchant, etc) appears is good.
    Resources are really important now it seems. You really need it if you want to build a strong army. Technology is not enough!

Maybe you just need for now to modify a line in "Amra_GameTextInfos_Pedia_Bonuses". The correct one is : <Tag>TXT_KEY_BONUS_TEMPLE_PEDIA</Tag>

I found it by myself.... not so bad for a beginner.
    :)

Congratulations! Nice work! (Really)

4. Amra

Amra the Lion

@Toys®Us
    Thanks for the compliments. A lot of the stuff you liked was all done by someone else so they all deserve the credit, I just included it in my modpack. I liked the great person mod a lot also. Patricius did a lot of work on that.

Thanks for the catch on the temple bonus, I've changed it in the next version already. Sorry I missed that. I'm hoping to have the next version out in 2 weeks with about 10 more civs (including four from Civ Gold).

5. Toys®Us

Toys®Us Warlord

I just added a short description for the "Tank Mark V" (Attachment is included JPG). The rest of the Civilopedia is OK, despite the fact that the barbarian leader has a different "Head" in the Civilizations or Leaders sections.
    :D

Believe it or not, I use the Civilopedia a lot to get useful informations about the enemies, the resources, the units, etc.
    It's always a deception when something is missing...
    Now... perfect for me!
    Good luck with your future projects!

P.S. My favorites MODs are: yours, Sevo (but the IFV tank is too much easy to build), Fall from Heaven, Realism ; The Third Resurrection. I never said that the other MODs are not enjoyable to play... I don't have the time to play ALL the MODs.

Attached Files:

6. Toys®Us

Toys®Us Warlord

Zeppelin, Naval Mine! Wow! :)

My friend... approximately near the end of the game (Uranium, etc...), when a Great Person appears, there's no picture, just a blank PINK screen! Weird...
    Maybe there is nothing to show in fact, or some links are not valid somewhere?
    Bug?

P.S. The naval mines... don't know how to use it ... I don't want my ships to explode! :crazyeye:
    Nice add-on!

7. druade

druade Chieftain

Hi
    nice mod!
    though just discovered a bug : i'm playing with the french and i am able to b uild the unique greek knight.
    and second thing : when u plant forests, do u have to wait till they grow? cause ive build some and they dont seem to give back a prod bonus, nor can u cut them to have extra production.
    third : why did u put werewolfs in the game? just for fun or to make barbarians stronger?

8. Toys®Us

Toys®Us Warlord

@druade

Didn't try with this MOD yet.
    --> Plant a forest, open the City Screen, and put a Citizen on it.
    I think that if you put your mouse (cursor) on the square where the new forest is, it will tell you how many turns you need to wait until it will be "completely" mature.

9. Amra

Amra the Lion

Just to double check, I know you said "Greek Knight", but were you able to build the Companion Cavalry or the Hyapist? I've rechecked the xml entries for Greece & the Companion Cavalry and I'm not seeing anything right away. Also, the Companion cavalry shows up in the Pedia as Greece's unique unit so everything looks okay there. Anyway, I should have some time to play with the mod this weekend and will give it a good test.

[EDIT] Disregard my stupidity above, I think I just figured out the problem with the Companion Cavalry. In the UnitInfos file it is part of the Knight class but in the "CIV4UnitClassInfos.xml" file, it has it's own class. That, theoretically, would allow any civ to build it. To fix it, go into the CIV4UnitClassInfos.xml file and delete the entry about 8 up from the bottom. It should look like this:

<UnitClassInfo>
    <Type>UNITCLASS_GREEK_COMPANION</Type>
    <Description>TXT_KEY_UNIT_COMPANION</Description>
    <iMaxGlobalInstances>-1</iMaxGlobalInstances>
    <iMaxTeamInstances>-1</iMaxTeamInstances>
    <iMaxPlayerInstances>-1</iMaxPlayerInstances>
    <DefaultUnit>UNIT_GREEK_COMPANION</DefaultUnit>
    </UnitClassInfo>

That should fix it. I've just changed that in version 1.1 and will test it out this weekend. Thanks for your help in finding that and sorry for the oversight.

As far as the forests, I think Toys&#174;Us answered that. But just in case here is an excerpt from Sevomod & Greenmod where that was previously implemented: "Forest Replanting -- Originally a concept of GreenMod, and also some other replanting mods I've seen. The current system works as follows: A worker must spend a base 8 turns replanting forest. When the job is done a "New Forest" will appear on the plot. The city must work this square to get the forest to grow. After a few turns it becomes a young forest (gaining a +1 hammer), then Developed Forest, then it becomes a Fully grown forest and the plot may be used as a normal forest plot. Prior to the development of the "full" forest, the forest cannot be chopped for production! This balances the chop gain, because you have to spend time with citizens working on the plot to get the forest back when they could be mining, etc, so the system can't really be abused to repeatedly chop-rush (but you can still use a focused chop-rush to your advantage)."

And as Far as the werewolves, I just thought they were fun & something different. I think their "iCombat" rating is at 3, the same as Bears. Lions are at 2 and Panthers at 1

10. Amra

Amra the Lion

If you see a name for who the great person is let me know. I've heard elsewhere that there may be a few missing or mislabeled art files for that mod. It's such a nice add-on though that I still wanted it in my modpack, figured I could make a new DDS file for whomever was missing when I found it. I just haven't had the time to (very tediously) match the names in the xml to the art files yet. It definitely is in my future to-do list.

11. Toys®Us

Toys®Us Warlord

I saw the problem at least 3 or 4 times. It was ALWAYS a "Great Scientist". I tried to find a name (nothing, the same when you see him/her in the city waiting for your command). But you receive:
    +1 Hammer
    +9 Research
    +2 Culture ... (I Remember, I saw it at least twice)

Next time, I'll be more careful, try to send a JPG about it here, and more clues.

I'm sure that you have "one of" the best MOD around.
    I just hope that you'll continue to "fix it" for us.
    But do it for yourself. Add the things that YOU LIKE. Do not try to please everyone here, PLEASE YOURSELF first.
    :)

[EDIT]
    ===
    I saw too:

+1 Hammer
    +6 Research
    +2 Culture

[EDIT 2]

Which files ? The Great People folder and ? Let me know.... maybe I can help or try...
    I found something while I was playing with IrfanView and the DDS files...
    There are two Great Scientists... but they are the same person: Aristole & Aristotle
    Again! ---> Isaac Newton & Issac Newton

[EDIT 3]

VERY TEDIOUSLY, you're right. :cry:
    I'm not sure if the files are correct...
    1- Civilization 4\Assets\XML\Text\CIV4GameTextInfos_GreatPeople.xml
    2- Civilization 4\Mods\Amra's Animated Leaderhead\Assets\art\GreatPeople

I did it for fun...

I found something, maybe it will help you or not.

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ALEXANDER_GRAHM_BELL</Tag>
    Alexander Graham Bell.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_AL_KINDI</Tag>
    Al-Kindi.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_AL_KHWARIZMI</Tag>
    Al-Kwarizmi.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_AL_RAZI</Tag>
    Al-Razi.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ANTONY_VAN_DIEMEN</Tag>
    Anthony van Diemen.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_DVORAK</Tag>
    Antonin Dvorak.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_CHUANG_TZU</Tag>
    Chang-Tzu.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_CHARLES_AUGUSTIN_DE_COULOMB</Tag>
    Charles Augustin de Coulumb.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_JS_BACH</Tag>
    J. S. Bach.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_JACQUES_CARTIER</Tag>
    Jacque Cartier.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_JALAL_ALDIN_RUMI</Tag>
    Jalal al-Din Rumi.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_JEANNE_ARC</Tag>
    Jeanne d'Arc.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_JOHANN_GOETHE</Tag>
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_JOHN_D_ROCKEFELLER</Tag>
    John D. Rockefeller.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_KOBO_DAISHI</Tag>
    Kobo-Daishi.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NABU_RIMANNI</Tag>
    Nabu-rimanni.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NOBERT_RILLIEUX</Tag>
    Norbert Rillieux.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_REMBRANDT</Tag>
    Rembrandt van Rijn.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_RRICHARD_WHITTINGTON</Tag>
    Richard Whittington.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ST_AUGUSTINE</Tag>
    St. Augustine.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ST_JOHN</Tag>
    St. John.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ST_PATRICK</Tag>
    St. Patrick.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ST_PAUL</Tag>
    St. Paul.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ST_PETER</Tag>
    St. Peter.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ST_THOMAS_AQUINAS</Tag>
    St. Thomas Aquinas.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_WILLIAN_MORTON</Tag>
    William T.G. Morton.dds

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_WOLFGANG_MOZART</Tag>
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.dds

I let you alone now with your work!
    Sorry to bother you...
    I wrote too much I think :rolleyes:

:goodjob:

12. Amra

Amra the Lion

@Toys&#174;Us

Re: Great Person Art files. I believe the .dds files located in MOD\Assets\Art\GreatPeople are referring to the English name listed in \Assets\xml\Text\CIV4GameTextInfos_GreatPeople.xml. the xml file is not part of my mod version 1.0 but I will be including it in version 1.1 since I found Aristotle mispelled (Aristole?) and have fixed that in the file. I took some time today :sleep: to verify the art file names because it was bugging me also and I found 6 art (dds) files that were not spelled the same as in the xml file. To be specific they were:

Al-Kwarizmi.dds (s/b Al-Khwarizmi.dds)
    Chang-Tzu.dds (s/b Chuang-Tzu.dds)
    Charles Augustin de Coulumb.dds (s/b Charles Augustin de Coulomb.dds)
    Jacque Cartier.dds (s/b Jacques Cartier.dds)
    William T.G. Morton.dds (s/b William T. G. Morton.dds)
    Joseph marie Jacquard.dds (s/b Joseph Marie Jacquard.dds) Capitalized middle name, not sure if that would make a difference or not)

I've changed the file names for my next version and will try to test it out before posting.

The Great Person Mod thread is located here. I will check it out as maybe someone else has already solved the problem and can save us some time.

PS: Thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

13. Caradoc

Caradoc Emperor

An excellent piece of work. I have just finished my first game (as Cimmeria in your honor) and everything seems well balanced. It was great seeing some new flags and faces, as well as Master Lexx's resources. The units look very good on the map, but the small icons on the city display are not clearly delineated.

As you add more civilizations, you might consider defining families of civs. For example, the player could choose modern, ancient, eastern, american etc and have a game with random civs from that family.

14. Toys®Us

Toys®Us Warlord

Which file we need to fix, I don't know. The Great People folder or the CIV4GameTextInfos_GreatPeople.xml file?
    I'm not sure that it is so easy....
    I hope! ;)

Don't forget to take a look here:

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ANTOINE_LAURENT_lAVOISIER</Tag>

It is an ORIGINAL Civ 4 file !

<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ANTOINE_LAURENT_LAVOISIER</Tag> is the correct way to write it I think. Maybe.

Good luck!

15. Amra

Amra the Lion

See this thread for the GP mod, check the last couple posts by me & Rabbit, White. The .dds files need to match the <English> Name

16. Toys®Us

Toys®Us Warlord

OK. We need to match the English names!
    So I won't use a line like
    "<Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_JEANNE_ARC</Tag>
    as a reference.
    So, as an example, the correct name for Al-Kwarizmi.dds is <English>Al-Khwarizmi</English>, I mean: Al-Khwarizmi ?

If I understand well...

17. druade

druade Chieftain

i guess this mod is not compatible with v1.61? does it take lots of time to make it compatible? will you make it compatible? just to know cause this mod is great and for now i think i wont install the next patch just to play this mod.

18. Amra

Amra the Lion

:hammer2:Well that just set me back a bit. I wasn't aware v1.61 was that close to being released. I figured (I think like everyone else) that they were not releasing any patches until the expansion. I had 11 more civs (including 2 new ones by me!) added in, just needed to do about 6 more LH's and a few UU's then I was hoping to post my next version early next week.

Oh well, I'll download the latest patch take a look at it on my computer and take it from there. :badcomp:

19. Amra

Amra the Lion

Yes, I think I caught them all when I went thru a few days ago. I changed the following:
    Al-Kwarizmi.dds (Changed to: Al-Khwarizmi.dds)
    Chang-Tzu.dds (Changed to: Chuang-Tzu.dds)
    Charles Augustin de Coulumb.dds (Changed to: Charles Augustin de Coulomb.dds)
    Jacque Cartier.dds (Changed to: Jacques Cartier.dds)
    William T.G. Morton.dds (Changed to: William T. G. Morton.dds)
    Joseph marie Jacquard.dds (Changed to: Joseph Marie Jacquard.dds)

That's all I'm going to do on that for now until I can test it. And, as you can see from my previous post, I need to check out Patch 1.61

Fun, Fun, Fun

20. Amra

Amra the Lion

Okay, I installed patch 1.61 and my mod had various xml errors then when it finally loaded I had no text whatsoever on screen :confused:. I read in another thread here that supposedly a clean install would solve that but for right now this is what I am going to do with this mod.

Since I am so close to releasing version 1.1 of my mod (for civ4 v1.52), I am going to work really hard on it over the weekend in an effort to post it on Monday or Tuesday. Once that is done then I will look at the 1.61 patch again. From what I saw already, the patch definitely changes a lot of python files as well as xml files. That could take a lot of time to reintegrate the interface changes into the new updated/patched files. As I mentioned in a prior post, I'm still learning python but am able to get by somewhat :crazyeye:.

At least this way, whoever may be interested in this mod will be able to play for a while until I update it for version 1.61