An interesting bug.

rhaul

Warlord
Playing a game of Civ fooling around, it occurred to me to give technology to the Egyptians so that they could defend themselves from other civilizations. When I exchange 4 or 5 technologies the diplomacy screen changes and the following appears:

I was totally unaware of this bug, and in fact I had never changed so many technologies in the same turn and even I do not rule out that it is due to some error in the translation of the game to Spanish, as I found this bug playing the translation. I attach the game so that it can be reproduced but I warn that the game is the Spanish translation of this game and therefore there will be totally incoherent texts in the original version.

Attachments

• CIVIL2.MAP
    14.3 KB · Views: 14
  • CIVIL2.SVE
    37 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
From the look of it, and my experience of CIV.EXE, one of the memory areas (there are 3 iirc) for image data, apparently the image buffer used for current game screen (diplomacy with Egyptians) got overridden by the contents of GOVT0M.PIC which was loaded as soon as you gave "Invention" to Egyptians.
"Invention" is the Tech that will switch advisors graphics and diplomacy background from "Ancient" looks (GOVT*A.PIC) to "Modern" looks (GOVT*M.PIC).
I've seen other testimony in the forums mentioning a similarly weird behaviour.

It is a good data to test, as soon as a civilization asks me for invention I will give it to them to see if the same thing happens.

Is there any chance to fix it?

Not giving invention, getting invention in an exchange triggers this (even though it is kind of illogical).

Not giving invention, getting invention in an exchange triggers this (even though it is kind of illogical).
Ah yes it makes more sense in fact, in the Tech discovery routine for the player there is probably a special check for Invention that triggers the image/palette load stuff, regardless of which screen is currently displayed (e.g. diplomatic)...

I think I have seen this bug too... long ago... on a real computer... amazing how many bugs there are in civilization yet it still plays great and is a fun game ! ;)

Top Bottom