An Open Inquiry: Ladder Interest

Even working around the clock, I think I will need one more day to get the SP ladder out. Thus, the launch date will be pushed back one day to Sunday. I am still finishing up some of the code as well as the help pages and documentation. There have also been some new unforseen problems that have cropped up and I need to get those fixed before I can release the ladder.

Stay tuned.

Trajan

Thanks for the kind words. I will hold off on the launch until all bugs and outstanding issues are resolved. I'm going through all my code right now in an effort to eliminate all bugs I find. This is a long and laborious process (and something I don't particularly enjoy, but it must be done).

The ladder itself is done. Just the testing and FAQ and help pages remain. I will let all of you know when everything is complete.

Trajan

The SP ladder is pretty much finished. I've tested the majority of the site and everything seems to be working ok. Last week I started adding small features, little things that seemed like they would be a nice addition. Last weekend I was out of town so I didn't get much time to work on the ladder. Now I'm just finishing up the help pages. Once that's done I'll start things up. I should be done by the end of this week.

After that I will take a break (probably two weeks) before working on the tribes system. It won't take that long to finish, but considering that I've dedicated the better part of over 125 hours to working on the ladder in the past month, I think I need a change of pace for a bit.

Trajan

The SP ladder is done and ready for initial use. Please read the FAQ closely before signing up for an account. I've tried to debug/QA test the site as much as possible, but I'm sure that some bugs still exist. Please post errors/bugs in this forum or on this thread so I can fix them.

There are two sections that are still incomplete. One is the statistics page, this page will be created once we have some working data (ladder accounts) to work with. The other page is the Tribes page. As I stated earlier, I will finish the Tribes section soon after I take a brief break. Enjoy!

Ladder site: http://civladder.dyndns.org

Trajan

Trajan,

Thanks for making yet another ladder :goodjob:

I'll be looking forward to kicking ass for points again :die:

One point though:

Why does a username has to be min 6 characters? Now I have to add a number, I remember 5 being ok on the old CF ladder.

Actually, I just set the minimum username length arbitrarily. I felt that 7 characters was a good length for a username.

Please help spread the word about the ladder. I have written to Thunderfall in hopes that he might post a news item on the front page of CivFanatics about the ladder, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

Trajan

I have changed the minimum requirement for username length to 4 characters. Anybody who registered before this change can have their username changed to something shorter if they wish. Email me at pleaseannoyme@hotmail.com and I will change your username to what you like.

Trajan

Trajan:

One comment about the ladder. When you go to Ranking, you see the ranking and the player names, but it's a pain to actually find out which opponents a player has played to get to his current ranked position. Furthermore, the game comments section is very out of the way and difficult to get to.

I suggest these changes in the long run: On the rankings page, there should be a link from each player's name to his entire game record (with all of his opponent names and game comments). This makes for easy tracking.

With the way it is set up, with a user having to search for the games to see the game history or comments, I can tell you that this function will rarely be used. Just my two cents.

There is no requirement on what type of game you'd like to play. PBEM is a perfectly ok way to play a game on the ladder.

Trajan

Two notes about the ladder:

1) The ladder seems to experience server connection problems from time to time.

2) The restriction on a user's ability to report two or more games within an hour is, I believe, prudent but unnecessary. I just played atawa (a short game) and then played stars (another short game), and the ladder won't let me report the second game (it says I must wait an hour). This is quirkly frustrating, because I don't want to wait an hour to report, and I certainly don't wish to come back the next day to report. It's just a setup that will cause tardiness among players.

Another thing that causes tardiness is the loser confirming the victory. In the Gameleague setup, the winner was granted immediate points and those points were taken away if the loser contested the victory. This, I believe, is a superior system. In the current civladder setup, the loser has no incentive to confirm a loss and see his points taken away.

Both of these points combined seems to encourage tardiness and discourage active ladder playing.

Any similar thoughts from ladder players?

Spartan, here's my responses to your comments.

1. Regarding the connectivity problems, sometimes the ladder is down because I'm rebooting the server or because I've been changing some code. It'll happen from time to time when I make bug fixes and changes. When there is a major change needed, I will take the entire site offline and advanced warning will be given.

2. The hour long restriction was put into place for database maintenance reasons. If I let a player report a game anytime he/she wanted, they could just spam victories. Your response would be: "Well, I could just reject all reports that are invalid." Unfortunately, it's not that simple. As the database administrator, I would then start to have a ton of bogus information in my database that I would have to clean out and decipher- and unfortunately, I'm not willing to do that if there's a way I can avoid it. However, I can shorten the time restriction to 30 or even 15 minutes.

3. As for the loser confirming the victory, I'd rather have the loser confirm before the points are awarded. Otherwise, this just encourages people to spam victories since the points would show up in the rankings. That's a definite no-no in my database adminstrator book. Also, because the loser has to confirm, this makes it easier to rollback error reports because the games themselves will not have been committed yet. In fact, no rollback would be even required since nothing will have been committed. If we have to roll back reports already committed, I have to go in there and manually correct them (or build a tool to do so), but I don't want to invest another 30 or 40 hours programming and debugging such an internal tool.

I will go ahead and change the time interval between game reports to 15 minutes. From talking to people, this seems like a sensible change.

Trajan

Excellent job there Trajan! :goodjob:

good to hear from you again and remember: take it slow ;)

It wouldnt be me if i would have some advice to give you as well, I will be brief: check out
this ladder

I know its german, so I will explain what I think is strong on it and you could exploid by copying it:
1. challenge system. You can challenge someone and post the settings you want to play in. Even when you agree in chat to play eachother, this function is usefull, by writing down the rules of the game. When you save and continue next time, you can read it back. I use this almost every game i play here. They call it here: Herausforderungsformular.
2. The report system. Notice that every signed up player is in the drop down bar. You can never be mistaken or have that question:'who the hell was i playing again?' (its under melden)

I am not exactly sure what a ladder is, but I have been on this site for about 3 hours trying to find out how to play a game. If this would allow me to play a game I am all for it. Unfortunately I don't have any advice about what you should do as I am not exactly sure what it is you are attempting.
Bruzer_58@yahoo.com

Top Bottom