Ancient Unit Spam

LanguishViking

Warlord
I'm actually starting to get pretty annoyed with the ancient unit spam. It's not just left over units that never get disbanded I think the a.i. might be allowed to build any unit. :tinfoil:

In my most recent game I invaded Arabia with my Roughriders + Machine Guns + Infantry. At that point my tech was progressing pretty quickly and as I finally got round to attacking cairo I had a few modern tank armies doing leading from the front. Now the AI initially defended with crossbows, spearmen, slingers and chariots. I was pretty much one-shotting all of these with my industrial era and modern era units. But the thing I noticed was the flow of slingers increased over time. Mostly they only got in the way as I advanced but the AI was quite obviously producing them. Now it is quit possible that the ai never took the dead end archery so slingers did not go obsolete.

It was mildly entertaining to see the slingers attack my modern tank armies, ping-ping-ping. I'm pretty sure the sound designers actually made the sound for this purpose.

But it was silly. They had reneissance era tech. No Knights, no Musketmen, no Pikemen, only a few crossbowmen and mostly slingers.

Meanwhile France had spent all her production fully populating the northern tundra with slingers, warriors and chariots. I just left them alone, built film studios and wonders and did the cultural victory. But, jeez, it's pretty damn silly to be fighting warriors and slingers all game long.

Maybe it's a lack of iron? The only reason I had any iron in that game (before conquering egypt) was that great engineer that gives you one of every strat resource that is uncovered on the map. I built one swordsman for a mission and disbanded it, melee units are pointless.

I don't think lack of iron explains it because I don't know any ranged units that require it. I'll keep my eye out for this one, interesting.

The AI avoids the military tech line, so they usually don't get any late medieval, renaissance or industrial military units.... instead they go straight to the modern ones available in the economic tech line.

To be fair it seems like there's some sort of bug related to a production cost disparity between ancient/classical units and medieval+ units.

Top Bottom