Any idea why I can't trade resources?

RedWolf

Deity
Hi again... This game is making me feel dumb so I could use some help again.

I'm playing later in the game (1970 or so) and before this I was making resource trades all the time with most of the AI civs. All of a sudden I lost my source of coal (from romans) so I tried to set up another deal with the Egyptians.

My trade advisor shows me that I can trade coal with the egyptians... so I open up negotiations... cleopatra has 1 coal.. so I select that. But then I look at my side and none of my luxuries or resources are showing.. literally the word "luxury" and "resource" aren't even on the list for me to choose from.

I know I have two sources of oil for example... I'm not exporting any of it. My empire only uses 1 correct? So why can't I choose any of my resources/luxuries to put on the table. Like I said this was working before.

Maybe roads you had linking to other civs before have been cut?

Sorry I was going to mention that - I don't actually have roads linking the other civs.. just sea routes since they're on different continents.

Strange thing is that when I talk to the Germans my luxuries show as available for trading but not my resources.. yet all my cities are linked with roads and rail.. so how can luxuries be available but not resources?

ALSO.. isn't the fact that my trade advisor shows "can trade coal with egypt" proof that I have valid trade "paths" with them?

Resouces that an AI already has will not be available for you to trade to that AI. You cannot trade your extra oil because the AI already has oil.

Resouces that an AI already has will not be available for you to trade to that AI. You cannot trade your extra oil because the AI already has oil.

Great thanks... that makes sense.

I no longer need the coal as I took a french city and got my own source but i just wanted to understand what I was seeing.

Thanks again.

Is it possible to cancel a trade embargo I have against someone? If so, how?

It it isn't binding anymore you can cancel it at any time.

If it is still within the minimum 20 turns then your only option is an engineered DoW from your embargo partner. Can be done by failed espionge mission (make them angry first), pillaged trade route (peace + lux/resource import), the AI bailing out of an alliance (peace + MA +...+ MA), or placing a privateer in a harbour and hoping it is attacked. All fairly exploitive though.

It it isn't binding anymore you can cancel it at any time.

So if the 20 years have passed I'll be able to cancel it via the diplomacy options when talking to the leader?

Its not obvious how to get rid of an expired deal that is hanging around beyond the 20 year limit. Look for the tabs labeled New and Acitive. Selecting Active will show the current trading deals, selecting the trade you want to delete will delete it. I think it was intentional to make this difficult to find.

Another possible reason for preventing a trade route via oceans is the AI civ doesn't have any harbors. Check for airports, if they have one, you can build one and establish a trade route that way.

Top Bottom