Any luck running it on sub-par machines?

jinif

Chieftain
I was just curious to see if anyone has had luck running this game on a machine that doesnt quite make it to the minimum standards.

I have a dual core processor that is fast enough, but only 1 GB or RAM (2 GB coming in the mail tomorrow) and a 256 GB video card that looks like it is just barely not the right kind of NVidia (according to graphic card higharchy chart from "Toms Hardware" I am just one level below minimum)

I have had luck running other games that I dont quite measure up to (Victoria 2), but wonder what people's expiriences with CiV is.

I loaded it on my laptop here at work.

1.7 GhZ Core-duo
ATI x1600m w 256MB (uses system RAM too)
2GB RAM
Windows 7

The game runs and is playable but slow and choppy.

im playing here at work, DEMO, on a athlon 64 X2 @ 2Ghz, 3GB ram and using the onboard geforce 6150LE graphics.

everythings on low settings 1280x1024. slow/chopy, but its working to get an idea of what i'll be doing once i get home in a couple hours

The Civ5demo works on my computer which is below the minimum spec for graphics + processor.

I have a single core 4000+ amd cpu
Geforce 8500GT gpu

In 2 hours Ive had 1 crash which was after frequent alt-tabbing to post on forums. The crash specifically occurred when I switched back to normal view from tactical view. I read that someone else with a bad system experienced this issue also, so beware.

Anyway happy civving! Im going to start a new game now that Ive realised how difficult city sieges are with only archers and war chariots.

I'm running

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+
GeForce 7800 GT
1 gig ram

Game runs, have had 2 crashes so far, one while going from strat view back to normal view... Another for some random reason ~ For what I percieve as safest and performance reasons - I'm playing the entire game in strategic mode with this machine.

Yeap, I'm running a Core2Duo laptop, Win7, 4 GBs of RAM, and a crappy 9200Gs GPU and the game is playable with everything on low. It does take a while between each turn, and well, quite frankly I wouldn't want to play on this machine too much.

Hope this might help people who have a good GPU card but a sub par CPU.With this setup I was able to run the demo with the graphics set on high and AA on setting 8.

Now granted it was the demo not the full version,but I was very surprised how well it ran :eek:.I will be getting the full version very soon :)

CPU Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 180
Frequency 2376 MHz
No. of CPUs 2
OS Windows Vista Home Premium (Build 7600)
System Type: 64 bit OS
Memory Amount:3966MB : Available:2626MB
Hard Disk[C:\] Free Space:122.34GB Total Space:186.51GB
Hard Disk[D:\] Free Space:2.46GB Total Space:4.25GB
Hard Disk[K:\] Free Space:1324.08GB Total Space:1430.79GB
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465
Chipset GeForce GTX 465
VRAM 1024.0MB
DAC Integrated RAMDAC
Driver nvd3dum.dll
Version 8.17.12.5896
Vendor ID 4318
Device ID 1732
Subsystem ID 342177858
Revision Level 163
WHQL Certification Level 1
Local VRAM 993.4MB
Available VRAM 2720.7MB
Available Texture Memory 2720.0MB
Vertex Shader 4.0
Pixel Shader 4.0
DirectX Version 11.0
Sound Card Speakers (Realtek AC'97 Audio)
Sound Card Driver RTKVAC64.SYS
Version 6.0.1.6305
Updated 6-19-2009
Network Card Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Network Card Driver RTL8023x64.sys
Version 6.108.331.2008
Updated 3-31-2008
CD-ROM/DVD-ROM Drive LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S ATA Device
CD-ROM/DVD-ROM Drive TSSTcorp CD-ROM TS-H192C ATA Device

I'm using a HP Pavilion 3gb ram AMD Phenom CPU tri-core 2.2 GHz
Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE

The game runs, but slow and choppy

I have a GeForce 8800 ultra 768mb on its way to me that SHOULD make a difference

My machine (sort of subpar, because the processor *is* five years old):

Pentium D (3.0 GHz; mind you that's the processor before Core 2)
3 GB RAM
GeForce 9800GT (though only a PCIe 1.0a motherboard)
Windows 7 (64-bit)

Demo runs pretty zippy (all Medium settings, except for Shadows/Terrain Shadows, these are on Low) after the first 2-3 turns (the first turns are pretty laggy, but then things speed up). Works about as well as Civ4, so far - though the demo doesn't have the biggest map ever.

Cheers, LT.

I'm on a AMD Phenom II X4 965 with 4 GB memory and a X1950Pro (dx9). I'm running the demo at a fairly high resolution (1680x1050) but with otherwise low settings. I can't say it's a pleasant experience. It's rather sluggish even this early in the game and it's full of graphical glitches. Even the intro-screen is messed up. Many of the icons are scrambled sp that you can't read them, and the resources in the city screen are duplicated so that it looks like you get 4 food instead of 2 etc.

The mouse-over pop-ups seems to have something to do with it. Whenever a pop-up appears the game will freeze momentarily and fill the terrain with grey tiles which then quickly disappear.

After opening the civilopedia and closing it again, the game slowed to a crawl and I had to restart. No crashes so far, but it freezes when I alt-tab.

The game really looks like crap with these settings though (worse than Civ4 and runs much much worse). I tried updating the graphics drivers but it didn't seem to help. I reinstalled the system just 3 weeks ago. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and get a new graphics card, although I'm not sure all of these issues are caused by inadequate hardware.

Fortunately, I haven't had any significant issues -- not even a single crash. I've had a problem with the opening movie, but I disabled it in the .ini file just now.

I have a 2.4 Dual core MBP with a Geforce 8600 and 4GB RAM. Right now, I only have a couple graphics settings set to medium -- the leader animations, and the terrain -- and there has only been about a 5-to-10-second delay between turns. For someone that was really expecting the worst in terms of performance, I'm happy.

I took a break from playing, so I could alleviate my hunger headache, and then watch Glee.

Top Bottom