• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Apeacement

I make nice if I'm going for a Diplo win, also do that teching-up a weak AI to give an attacking Big Dog a harder time.

I find giving the AI gold when they ask for it makes them oftentimes attack another AI, instead of me.....although my massed military with fixed smiles may also play a part.....

There are different levels of AI diplomatic threat. Threats can be weak implied threats of do this "or else", (basically a poker style bluff), or strong demands of do this or we will attack you.

How the AI react to your response will depend on your existing diplomatic relations with them and the strength or weakness of your military.

The ultimate appeasement gesture is to give up a human controlled city, so as to buy peace or ward off an invasion. The good / bad consequences of such appeasement is situationally dependent. If the city is a border city you have captured from an enemy, of little or no strategic values, which you can not defend, then I am happy to use appeasement to stop a war. If the city is a core inner city that I built, or a captured city that has high strategic value, then appeasement is bad.

Generally speaking you can use appeasement to your advantage, but you have to work the diplomatic screen to get the maximum benefit. For example, I remember one game on Emperor, where I shared a continent with 3 civs, but had a very poor starting position. I therefore attacked one civ to gain room and resources and I eventually reduced them to circa 3 cities, but that left me massively overstretched, and very vulnerable to the other 2 civs, with whom I had poor diplomatic relations. Each of them had made demands of me and I gave in to all the demands they made. The civ closest to my core cities was the stronger, and so I gave away / liberated two captured border cities to the weaker civ. This increased their weak power. I adopted their religion and civics, and gave away tech and trade goods to massively improve my diplomatic relations with them and increase their power. That civ then attacked the other one, rather than me, and as both these civs were now equally balanced, neither of them was able to obtain swift gains. This gave me the time and the breathing space to consolidate my existing position, and during that time I gave into yet more outrageous demands. I eventually joined in the war to win a few more cities from the closest civ, and I then back stabbed the civ I had appeased earlier with cities, techs and gifts.

I ended the game in control of the continent, and won a Space victory, but I had used appeasement as part of an overall strategy, rather than as a knee jerk reaction to a one off threat made out of the blue.

You can therefore successfully use appeasement on a huge scale in the right situation, but only when it is an integral part of a greater overall strategy.

Regards - Mr P

Does anyone ever use Mercantilism? The commerce hit from that hardly seems ever bothering with at all.
I use it frequently. If you're a warmonger and at war with 2/3 of the world and the other 1/3 are your vassals...Merc is the way to go. Free statue of liberty, woohoo!

It also has it's use in the modern era if a stronger civ has founded some corporations and starts spreading them to you while you want to keep your own corporations alive.

Intersting. I rarely leave Free Market. I considered Environmentalism there last game, but that would have cost me ~300 commerce per Turn and 50% more Corporation costs
Free Market (-25); Enviro (+25)

~50 Cities w/ 5-10 commerce per Trade Route.

Free market IS still the best for corporations and/or when you have trading partners that aren't your vassals.

Free market IS still the best for corporations and/or when you have trading partners that aren't your vassals.

State Property is still the best for intercontinental warmonger, right? Because I'm too old to change my ways.

State Property is still the best for intercontinental warmonger, right?.
It definitely is for Vanilla and Warlords. In BtS it depends on corporations: Got a lot of them and use them? FM, even if you've got no foreign trade routes whatsoever.

No corporations? SP. No doubt.

Generally I'm very liberal about giving anything but advanced tech or core cities. Gold and resources are definitely give-aways, even iron to the Romans, as it is a short-term cost for long-term relationship gains. But yes, lower difficulties and you don't have to yield, higher difficulties you don't have anything to yield.

One thing I never yield is my latest shiny new piece of tech. Even if it's immortal or deity and you risk war, because you need that tech to trade and bargain with.

I remember some Civ-style game where you could negotiate even demands, so you could turn it into a trade that the AI wouldn't accept and then they'd refuse it and forget that they were supposed to be threatening you.

Top Bottom