Apollo difficulty guide: ARC

DISCLAIMER: I have a new and updated guide that is a more generalist approach to the Meta. Please feel free to continue using this guide, but do note it is out dated and specifically tailored towards the flavor of playing as ARC. It may be missing things that I have since discovered. You can find the new guide here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...y-rt-potentially-multiplayer-friendly.685025/

Hey guys it's me again! After some messing around with ARC because a friend suggested I try it, I've come up with what I think is a solid way to beat Apollo difficulty with this faction. I recently posted a far more in depth guide on Apollo difficulty it self but the build and tech order was for Hutama. Still a lot of good stuff in that thread so feel free to check that out.

Okay so let's get into it. As always, I like to play on massive maps. This time around I've been playing on Quick pace, but I am certain that ARC would be a very strong contender on any pace. Note that this guide is only for Domination victories, with all other victory conditions turned off. I haven't looked into the other ones for this faction yet, and besides I find the Domination to be the most fun and a lot less luck dependant. I mention map size and pace in my guides because they do vastly change how one plays the game. The good news is this strategy should ideally work in any map of your choosing, with some minor tweaks to respond to the environment.
I'm gonna keep this guide short because I'm writing it late at night, so I'll get into it all now.
For starters, we pick up artists, tectonic scanner, and pioneering. Realistically you can change artists for anything you like, I just find culture is the slowest resource to gain and so getting it for free is quite nice.
Unlike the Hutama playstyle where we rush to Academies and spam them everywhere in our first 5 cities, the way I play ARC fundamentally revolves around the use of Spies, but also the Node tile improvement. The reason for this is Nodes are a leaf tech right underneath Computing, and so it's quite fitting to pick up. As it turns out, ARC has problems with energy as it doesn't get the massive boost from international trade routes. In my opinion, the biggest difference between winning this difficulty and losing is the correct use of tile improvements.
Okay so your build order in the initial game is very similar to Hutama. Your capital builds a trade depot, a worker, a convoy, and buys Old Earth Relic. Send trade convoy to any outposts to get them to grow. We only get one convoy per city, and I think it's good to get a city founded rather than buff 1 city in a minor way. After that the first city builds 1 colonist, 1 worker, and repeats this until you have a total of 5 cities. Going above 5 is going to make your health so unmanageable with this strategy because you don't get any health buildings till a fair bit later, unlike the Hutama method. Send your first Explorer and soldier off around your land to find coasts and Titanium, then manually move them towards all other factions. I highly reccomend manually moving them each turn as they will act dumb if blocked by an alien in the way, thus taking a lot longer because they end out back tracking. When you've met at least 4 other factions you can automate explore with these 2 units. It can be handy to the explore head back to a city to refuel on expedition modules, but only if convenient. Target Progenetor expeditions for a free affinity level if lucky. If you want, you can save artefacts but sometimes you never get enough to unlock a good building, so I don't bother, but if you know artefact combinations by memory then use it to your advantage.
Your second city should ideally be off the coast, and it will produce an additional 5 workers.
Third and fourth cities will ideally be on the coast and should build 2-3 Gunboats each before anything else.
Fifth city can be either coastal or inland, and this one builds 5 Soldiers, but maybe more if the need arises such as an early war.
For techs, we start with Chemistry to get that recycler, petroleum, and laboratory straight away. There is a case for picking this up later instead, but I think this one is a good choice for a first tech as you might be able to buy some Recyclers in your cities earlier than expected.
Always buy Old Earth Relic in every city that doesn't have one, as soon as they become available.
Immediately upgrade your default personality trait to level 3, then pick up the increased spy speed from Political. Then grab production from Domestic, then military production from War.
The only essential agreement's are outpost growth speed from Africa or the colonists found immediately which often comes from Duncan. Africa's agreement is really cheap so i get this any time im building new cities regarsless of whether I need to upgrade my own traits. After you've maxed your traits get whatever agreement looks good in the context.
Never automate your workers until you're confident that all your tile improvements are done. At first, focus on improving every basic resource and Mines on any hill areas. Only when that's done, you can automate them until it is time to build Nodes, BUT it is a far better use of time to start laying down roads between cities. As soon as you unlock Nodes, take every worker off automated, finish what they were improving, then spam Nodes on every tile that exists in your first 5 cities.
After Chemistry, we immediately go for Computing via the Ecology side. We need to be able to remove miasma anyway, and Vivariums are very good, especially on Icy maps.
Once Computing is done, go one down and grab Nodes, and build the Master Control wonder when it becomes available for the free worker maintenance and movement. If Daoming is in the game she may well beat you to it but its worth trying to get this in the early game.
After you get Computing, this time around we head straight up towards the tech that unlocks the Gene Smelter building, and picks up Pharmalab along the way health has been bad for a while and we need to fix it asap or our growth and production will suffer really badly. Then we can head over to Robotics, snagging ourselves the Autoplant and Thorium reactor buildings. Finally, the last tech for the early game will be for the Alien Preserve building.
After you've built your first army, you can focus on building a trade depot, Recycler, Clinic, Vivarium, Pharmalab, Gene Smelter, Autoplant, Thorium Reactor, and Alien Preserve, ideally in that order but is more dependent on what your deficits are at that time in the game. Trade Depot and Recycler should always come first if you want to change the order. Quest rewards are situational, pick what's needed at the time.
At some point one of your inland cities will have nothing to do, so snag the Ultrasonic Fence and reverse the polarit with the quest, allowing you to start sending trade convoys between your cities. My convoys always go for the highest production, but I'll go for a little less production if it gives me even 1 food.
Virtues for this one are pretty straight forward. We want to immediately get the free colonist from prosperity, then head over to the industry tree for +1 energy from basic resource, 25% production for buildings already in the capital, then bee line through the middle to Mangasanti. Then I grab the % energy based on income, and any other virtue of your choice in industry to complete the synergy for another 10% production. After this, personally I go to the Millitary tree and go straight through the middle till the very last virtue, then pick up 50% strategic resources. After that just get whatever you feel like, but we don't get much culture with this style so you'll likely beat the game before you get another virtue.

Okay so you've built enough army to fight off any other factions that declare war, and hopefully you've kept them close enough to defend rather than attack an ai. Unfortunately this is Apollo and without an army you will always lose, but you also lose a lot of turns to building an army when you could be making buildings, although we don't have a choice. By now you should start to have 1-2 Nodes in each city, and are now able automate 1-5 workers to naturally improve your cities. Also, you will have spies sent out to at least 3 other factions, where they will prioritise stealing tech, science, and energy, in that order. Do not underestimate stealing energy, because you will have energy problems until your Nodes appear, so steal energy whenever you have to, but then go back to stealing tech/science. During this phase, you will be given a quest to perform a tier 4 espionage, and the only one available is Coup de etat which is a garunteed war, so do this when prepared as it will make all your spies powerful. Also follow any espionage quests that you are given. You don't need to actually go after the other factions yet and I'd encourage you not to just yet, but be ready to defend. Because you aren't juicing science up with this faction, your deterministic tech progression will feel really slow, but that's okay because by stealing tech we get an incredible amount of affinity levels. I would always steal tech whenever I can instead of science because it's almost always garunteed affinity xp and the sooner we get to 7/7 in any 2 we can compete against a pressuring ai with just soldiers and gunboats.
When you've finished the above, it is now time to transition to the mid game. We want to unlock additional spies through the use of quests, and conveniently the techs to do this help us with our other goals. To get more spies, we want CEL Cradle, Command Centre, and Feedsite Hubs. Conveniently this gets us Tacnet Hubs, and so if you're at war I'd go for Communications first before the CEL Cradle tech. After Cel Cradle, we then want the tech that gives +1 science from all node improvements. This will ensure we can target specific techs if we need to.
Now is the time to send out 1 colonist and 1 worker at a time, for a total of 5 times to found 5 new cities. These new cities will want 2 manufactury tile improvements, and any basic resources improved, then the workers can be automated or you could build more Nodes or even Academies. Any city that doesn't have anything to do should build gun boats or soldiers/armours. Soldiers if you only want to defend, or armours if you want to go on the offensive a little bit, but remember our army is still weak at this point so don't over extend. Steal energy whenever you need to purchase units to defend your cities.

Once the above is done, you're now ready to head into the end game. The end game techs that we target are based on good units and orbital coverage, because you guessed it, this is another Phasal Teleporter strategy. To increase orbital coverage we want Neoplanitarium, Observatory, Repair Bay, Field Reactor, and Launch Complexes. Build all of these at least once to trigger the quest so we can get the most use out of them later. Before getting orbital coverage however, it's a very good idea to research the Aquilion unit when you can upgrade it to carry 2 aircraft each. Also grab the tech for Magrails, to speed up your army quite a bit.
Now is the time to build cities anywhere and everywhere you can see, and spend any spare energy on Recycler, Old earth Relic, Trade Convoy, and Autoplant, in that order. Autoplants are expensive so buy all of the others first in each new city. Like before, put 1-2 manufacturies in each new city for a comfy end game production line. Buy a couple of Pharmalabs to keep health above zero when needed.

It is now time for war. The techs you choose are now personal choices or just shift click them all at random, it doesn't matter anymore. Your army will consist of 7 spies, which you will he using liberally to target either 1 faction really hard, or any and every faction for whatever reason you like. Drain their energy, and drain their army. You'll likely not be able to coup de etat anymore but if you can, do this at the right time. There is only 4 useful military units in the entire game in my opinion and that is the holy Aquilion, the Armour, the Tacjet, and the Destroyer. Make 7 Aquilion with 2 Tacjets each, and 14 armours, alongside 3 Phasal Teleporters. If you chose the correct upgrade, your cars will hover over water and ignore zones of control. Your destroyers ideally will have additional range, your Aquilion with additional aircraft capacity, and your Tacjets have either strength against cities or against wounded/land/sea units. You might not always get 12/16 Supremecy or Purity for the planes first so if you get Harmony, just grab whatever upgrade looks nice to you. For any other upgrade its personal choice, I personally like the healing so I can maintain an assault a little more comfortably, but higher damage is usually best. If you have spare destroyers, and you should have spare destroyers, send them up by sea along with your new army. Always keep enough army at home to defend, and start building tacjets in every city when you get their second upgrade, only after buildings of course.Try and get orbital coverage next to capital cities and teleport up your army. If you put your planes on the aquilions at least 1 turn before teleporting, they will immediately be able to attack, so do this to kill any units around, prioritising melee units that can reclaim cities. After you've cleaned up their land of any would be attackers, start air bombing their cities and taking them with your Armours. Repeat to win. It's a good idea to leave some army behind just to defend newly captured lands. It can be helpful to try and make peace once you've secured their capital so as to not waste time.

And there you have it, how to beat the game as ARC. Good luck out there and may your spies bring you good fortune.
Turns out this might be over powered in multiplayer...

Last edited:
Thank you for the effort, but the text could be a bit more organised to highlight the essentials with a few more paragraphs or bolded text.

I want to ask 2 questions if you care to answer.

1) why would I want to go Political trait with ARC? Isn't getting artifact combo enough to max my speed and thus save a Political trait for something else? Or do you think it is better to keep the 3 artifacts for something else with ARC?

2) why would I want the Prosperity free colonist with ARC? I don't need Prosperity at all with ARC. ARC benefits the most from extra spies so I'd try to go towards those things, or go towards Might's 20% more affinity from techs, or Industry gold/production bonuses. I would never touch Prosperity with ARC for any victory condition... since the main reason to take Prosperity is to deal with unhealth, and ARC is ok with a low amount of cities (because they can tech just fine with only spies), and thus no need for health or unhealth reducers. I would rather fill my capital in Manufactories...

Thank you for the effort, but the text could be a bit more organised to highlight the essentials with a few more paragraphs or bolded text.

I want to ask 2 questions if you care to answer.

1) why would I want to go Political trait with ARC? Isn't getting artifact combo enough to max my speed and thus save a Political trait for something else? Or do you think it is better to keep the 3 artifacts for something else with ARC?

2) why would I want the Prosperity free colonist with ARC? I don't need Prosperity at all with ARC. ARC benefits the most from extra spies so I'd try to go towards those things, or go towards Might's 20% more affinity from techs, or Industry gold/production bonuses. I would never touch Prosperity with ARC for any victory condition... since the main reason to take Prosperity is to deal with unhealth, and ARC is ok with a low amount of cities (because they can tech just fine with only spies), and thus no need for health or unhealth reducers. I would rather fill my capital in Manufactories...
Hi there, thanks for asking. So in my experience, it isn't always garunteed that you can find the artefacts, unless of course you are exploiting them by rushing explorers in the early game, which is a viable strategy if you have the Starships unlocks, but I choose not to do this because it is way over powered and makes the game feel a lot less fun. Covert speed caps at 80%, and the wonder doesn't give you %chance for spies to not die during operations, where as the personality trait does.
As for prosperity, we only take 3 points in it for outpost growth, and the free colonist is very nice as well. I see Apollo difficulty as a battle of overcoming the early game, and if you can do that, you can win against any AI in a Domination only setting. So, the sooner we get cities up and producing soldiers to defend, the more likely we are able to stay alive against a very aggressive AI. Also it seems to help when I rush my next batch of cities, which allows me to overwhelm the AI because I have more production capacity.

With all that being said, if you've found a way that works better for you, then by all means go for it, this is just my own playstyle.I write these guides because I haven't really seen anyone else doing it for Apollo difficulty, but I still have more to learn.

Thanks for the clarifications. We can agree that the hardest part of the game is the early game, and that there are multiple ways to survive and thrive.

Yes, The chance for spies not to die is good to have, I had not taken that part into account, but maybe that is because it's not very often that I've had spies dying, so once again, I am not really sure how useful that is overall.

So in my experience, it isn't always garunteed that you can find the artefacts, unless of course you are exploiting them by rushing explorers in the early game, which is a viable strategy if you have the Starships unlocks, but I choose not to do this because it is way over powered and makes the game feel a lot less fun.

It's not guaranteed exactly but by rushing for Pods and later Alien Nests, even if you are unlucky with Progenitor Ruins, I think a player can have that in 8 out of 10 games, and that is without Starship Unlockables.
I believe you are overestimating Electromagnetic Sensor by considering it OP. It is certainly the best option, that would be hard to argue against. But it's mostly something just very convenient. By spamming Explorers (or Boats for water start), we can find most dig sites anyway, you will run into them because you are hunting for Resource pods anyway, which is the single best thing you can do early game for free goods and Old World Artifacts.
Electromagnetic sensor is bound to grant your more affinity by rushing directly towards Projenitor Ruins and Devices or Alien Skeletons but overall affinity isn't the only important thing. 80 production in the early game is just as fine, to rush Trade Depot / Recycler / and other important things in 1 turn. If anything, I would accept that E.S. spoils the mystery of the world maybe too much.

By not having Electromagnetic Sensor, you'd be having Tectonic Scanner which makes titanium available earlier, which, for Domination, I think can be just as good.

As for prosperity, we only take 3 points in it for outpost growth, and the free colonist is very nice as well.

Ok, but I wouldn't trade 2 virtues for outpost growth or free colonist with ARC even if my life depended on it. I'd rather take free worker and 3 extra expeditions virtues. Cities just don't scale for ARC as they do for other factions.
Free colonist for any other faction (especially Polystralia) is an ok option.

Thanks for the clarifications. We can agree that the hardest part of the game is the early game, and that there are multiple ways to survive and thrive.

Yes, The chance for spies not to die is good to have, I had not taken that part into account, but maybe that is because it's not very often that I've had spies dying, so once again, I am not really sure how useful that is overall.

It's not guaranteed exactly but by rushing for Pods and later Alien Nests, even if you are unlucky with Progenitor Ruins, I think a player can have that in 8 out of 10 games, and that is without Starship Unlockables.
I believe you are overestimating Electromagnetic Sensor by considering it OP. It is certainly the best option, that would be hard to argue against. But it's mostly something just very convenient. By spamming Explorers (or Boats for water start), we can find most dig sites anyway, you will run into them because you are hunting for Resource pods anyway, which is the single best thing you can do early game for free goods and Old World Artifacts.
Electromagnetic sensor is bound to grant your more affinity by rushing directly towards Projenitor Ruins and Devices or Alien Skeletons but overall affinity isn't the only important thing. 80 production in the early game is just as fine, to rush Trade Depot / Recycler / and other important things in 1 turn. If anything, I would accept that E.S. spoils the mystery of the world maybe too much.

By not having Electromagnetic Sensor, you'd be having Tectonic Scanner which makes titanium available earlier, which, for Domination, I think can be just as good.

Ok, but I wouldn't trade 2 virtues for outpost growth or free colonist with ARC even if my life depended on it. I'd rather take free worker and 3 extra expeditions virtues. Cities just don't scale for ARC as they do for other factions.
Free colonist for any other faction (especially Polystralia) is an ok option.
It's mainly that I think expedition/artefact rushing is so unbalanced that it makes the game boring for me, like I am gautunteed to win every time with no difficulty because every time I do it, I end out with 15 affinity before turn 100. I know it's part of the game though so yes it is actually the best way to win.

By spamming Explorers (or Boats for water start), we can find most dig sites anyway, you will run into them because you are hunting for Resource pods anyway, which is the single best thing you can do early game for free goods and Old World Artifacts.
To be clear, we have 3 types of items to find while exploring:
- Biome Quest items: useful, but not urgent. The AI are pursuing the same things, but they can be "used" (excavated, biopsy, whatever) multiple times
- Resource Pods: Need to be rolled over. Boats can move quickly and get to all the ones in the water. Subs can get the ones hidden in ice at the poles, but they Move. So. Slowly. In the early game, just two hexes per turn. Explorers can get these, too, and are amphibious. But they are also sooooooooo slow. Al are competing for these, so they are urgent.
- Progenitor sites, alien skeletons, sunken satellites or spaceships: Require an explorer to visit, *with* enough expedition modules. AI are competing for these, so they are also urgent, but less urgent than the resource pods.

In my experience, I need to get to the Prosperity virtue to get the extra explorer modules. Until I get it, I spend a LOT of turns going back to resupply. I also like taking the Might virtue that gives science for killing aliens and squishing alien nests.

In my experience, I need to get to the Prosperity virtue to get the extra explorer modules. Until I get it, I spend a LOT of turns going back to resupply.
Nice post, maybe we should start a thread to discuss goodies and rewards in its own thread, seems like an interesting discussion to see what people prioritize and treasure the most.

One time I had an Affinity quest satellite crash somewhere and a rival Explorer went to it before I had time to reach it, he dug it and it has cost me the affinity quest! I think failing Affinity quests in this way is the most annoying.
Worth pointing out that sometimes it can be better to just stay on top of a Dig Site with an explorer even if it has 0 modules, just to prevent a rival explorer to dig it. Even useless alien units like Scarabs or Rippers can be used for this purpose. They can also destroy alien nests, with the exception of Drones, who sadly, can't.

Top Bottom