Are there any Diplomacy Guides?

ragindrunk

Chieftain
I have a real hard time guaging other Civs thresh hold for staying friendly. In the past I've decided against declaring war when a Civ asks and it is not in my best interest to ruin relations with the target Civ. Doing so over time seems to degrage relations with that friendly Civ for not declaring war.

I do know if you ask to wait 10turns and then decide against it, you will receive a penalty. What has happened in my last couple of games though is I've went ahead and declared war when a Civ asks me to, then waited until I can negotiate peace. Multiple times this ends with them trading me a city for peace and then a few turns after that the Civ asks for DoF even if I never attacked them.

Other experiences are being completely friendy to a Civ, giving free gifts, multiple trades, and helping them in a war conflict and having a complete list of green actions on the diplomacy window. One bad vote in congress and they denounce me completely and remain guarded the rest of the game.

I do not understand why after so many years Sid has not simply added a hate meter for each CS an Civ. Then you can visually see how a particular Civ feels about your actions, maybe one Civ might be more sensitive than another...I don't personally believe the diplomatic system is that advanced however, it is so broken they ignore the issue and hope continue to percieve it as mysterious.

I have done the same as you, been a Friend to a civ for ages, given them free resources and ever gold, gone to war with them then just one little change or one fight too many and they are denouncing me and guraded or worse the rest of the game. So many bizaar things like that take place that you could not possibly think the diplomacy system relies on AI, but only on triggers that don't balance past actions very well.

k, done with my rant...I will say being on the same Ideology is a relationship changer globally.
But see that one makes sense.

While diplomacy has gotten better with patches/expansions, there's still no exact guide to it.

When a Civ asks you to declare war on another, I think the basic rule is don't bother unless the war benefits you.

Diplomacy guide: Ignore it :p In my cases, the AI will always tend to hate you for something at some part of the game. They'll ask for ludicrous trades and settle in your face and tell all their friends how horrible you are if you ask them to stop it. It seems the AI's strongest weapons are nasty words and a mean face, as they often attempt to defy me for whatever reason this time, and usually have nothing but cannon fodder to stop me (then again, I've only played on prince and king)

The hardest part of diplomacy in this game for me to learn was realizing that declaring friendship with everyone is a good way to get hated on by everyone. If you become friends with 2 civs who hate each other, both civs will start to dislike you for being friends with the other guy. Try your best to focus on world diplomacy and make sure to have 2 or 3 strong allies who are all DoF with each other (or at least not denouncing each other). Denouncing the civ all your friends hate will earn you one enemy, but it will give you a few longtime friends that you should be able to keep up.

Also, I tend to ignore people who ask me to enter a war I don't care about. If you have a strong military though, entering isn't the worst thing in the world if your friends aren't allied with this civ. Just try to avoid taking more than 1 city by force in a war (even your friends will hate you for taking cities outside of peace deals), liberate stuff if you can, and get a favorable peace treaty with the civ you go to war with.

I always face "friends of me" declaring war on myself.

So I don't know how diplomacy work also.

Top Bottom