AssignStartingPlots defaults for VP

Of course there are more aluminum than coal in the map. Compare the amount of submarines, advanced planes, light tanks/helicopters, power plants, spaceship factories, spaceship parts you need to the number of cities you have times two. It's supposed to be 2:1 though, your numbers seem a bit extreme.

Wait you only need two subs? The AIs tend to have a horde of them. Planes too.

It's seriously hard to balance around huge maps. The city states hold a bunch of strategics (and there are more of them), there's potentially more unsettled land, and the difference between tall and wide can be very extreme (5 cities vs 30+). Remember last patch people complained about there being too many strategics.

If all else fail there's always Hexxon, I guess.

Wait you only need two subs? The AIs tend to have a horde of them. Planes too.

Subs and advanced planes late enough in the game they get little use by me tbh. I guess the AI always has production to spare so they can pump out units, but I tend to be short on production relative to how fast tech progresses in the late-game. If I'm building spaceship parts and spaceship factories in my high production cities, I'm probably not building a lot of planes or subs.

I still think there's an imbalance. Let's say I have a bigger military with 8 subs and 8 planes; my aluminium use would be at 30. Say that I'm also playing less wide (or on a smaller map) and only have 8 cities for a total of 16 coal. That's just below a 2:1 ratio, and I would be much happier with that a 2.8:1 ratio.
Remember last patch people complained about there being too many strategics.

For the most part this version is an improvement! It's just the edge cases that are off, and at the moment Coal and Aluminium are at those edges.
If all else fail there's always Hexxon, I guess.

Only if you play Brazil, or get a Perfume or Incense monopoly. Most of the resources Hexxon is based around are strategics, and if you have more than 50% of the world's coal you probably don't need more coal.

Last edited:
Of course there are more aluminum than coal in the map. Compare the amount of submarines, advanced planes, light tanks/helicopters, power plants, spaceship factories, spaceship parts you need to the number of cities you have times two. It's supposed to be 2:1 though, your numbers seem a bit extreme.

Don't agree with that. Those are all units you wouldn't usually use and the aluminium is only used in the Solar Power Station which is the least likely choice. Even for space victory you only need 6 parts and you get refunded after you build one. Usually use way more Coal than Aluminium in a game.

@azum4roll and @tu_79 , do you think the abundance of coal should be changed, left as is, or perhaps more feedback from other players is needed?
This project is community balanced. Feedback is needed.
I can't say for myself since I can't play after medieval, I don't have the time to commit to a whole game for now.

So far reports say that sometimes coal is absent in large areas. We sent a small fix but can't say if it worked.

hey all,

i haven't read the complete thread, but i do have a questions since the title seems to point in the right direction.

for my AI testgames i like to add one or two additional players and often these extra players end up starting on tiny little islands.

i use the fractal map script most often but i think i've seen wildly uneven starting position also on other map types.

is there somebody who knows why this is happening and how the distribution could be made more fair?

hey all,

i haven't read the complete thread, but i do have a questions since the title seems to point in the right direction.

for my AI testgames i like to add one or two additional players and often these extra players end up starting on tiny little islands.

i use the fractal map script most often but i think i've seen wildly uneven starting position also on other map types.

is there somebody who knows why this is happening and how the distribution could be made more fair?
Player distribution is based on land fertility, not land size. The assignation roughly works this way for continental maps (see AssignStartingPlots.lua, GenerateRegions function):
0. Sort all areas (landmass) in decreasing order of fertility. Only take the first (number of civs) areas in consideration when assigning civs.
1. One player gets assigned to the area (landmass) with the highest fertility, unless the area already has max(total number of civs - 2, 2) civs.
2. Fertility of the assigned area is reduced by 80% x total fertility of the map / total number of civs. This number is balanced on the assumption that 80% of the fertility is in relevant land (habitable land).
3. Repeat 1. and 2. until each player are assigned to an area.

There are two things you can change to prevent players from starting on tiny islands:
1. Decrease the percentage of assumed relevant land.
2. Add a check to remove all islands less than a certain number of tiles from the table.

thanks. do you have some approximate line numbers or other hints? that file is massive ...

thanks. do you have some approximate line numbers or other hints? that file is massive ...
Change the 0.8 in line 1940 to like 0.6 or something. The other way could be cumbersome to implement...

Top Bottom