Assyria is Asserious!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by El Caballerion, Aug 6, 2013.

1. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

Damn. On my Immortal Marathon game last night, I was on a continent with 5 civs, turtling with only one city right before Medieval age and severely lacking in technology. After building 3 army units, and especially, two Siege Towers, I knocked down 3 rival civs (razing all non-capital cities and keeping the capitals), and gaining 7 techs in the process.

I'm easily in a position to take out the other 2, but I need to trade with someone, don't I? :mischief:

In any case, what are your thoughts of Assyria? Are they OP? Or UP?

And yes, Asserious is not a word. ;)

2. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chef Tain

Kinda off topic, but may I know why do you put a red pepper to all your threads?

3. Ryoga

Ryoga King

I guess those that find it OP are mainly immortal/deity players.

On Emperor and below they are very good especially if you start conquering early with the siege tower, but then the UA is as if it didn't even exist.

4. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    It helps me find my thread easily as it gets laid asunder by tons of other people's threads lol. I'm also Hispanic, so it's kinda... relevant in some way lol. :goodjob:

5. reidzeibel

reidzeibel Chieftain

OP because of the Siege Tower, early game 3 CB + 1 Siege tower can take 16 Strength City.
    Lay siege on the tech leader with 3 cities and you'll save many beakers.

I'd destroy the other two civs if I were you, just trade with City-States ;)

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 4

6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I would consider Assyria to be a great civ for the beginner who is interested in domination victories.

7. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

QUESTION: Can you steal techs from city states upon occupying a city, or does it only work with CIVS?

8. Ryoga

Ryoga King

I seem to remember that I got a tech from conquering a CS.

9. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

Just got a chance to use the siege tower and... oh my. Dampened somewhat by the promotions not sticking with upgrades, but still!

Not sure how they do in MP, but against an AI that doesn't have units by their city, it's a killer.

Now I'm wondering how long they'll stay relevant; they give 50% vs cities to all units within two tiles, so as long as they don't get touched, they could conceivably hang out in the second ring of an enemy city until the city can one-shot it, at which point it can still hang out in the third ring until artillery or bombers are built. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

10. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

They are even more OP in early game (just like the Huns) in BNW because the early game seems much more peace-oriented than in G&K. Does anyone else get that vibe?

11. Atwork

Atwork Immortal

That's the strategy I work with. Use the ancient and early classical era to build up my capital and a supporting military while planning on a late classical explosion. Build roads in the anticipated direction of my expansion via conquest, rush two siege towers, hit the road with my military, and bam....back in the game!

I even keep a siege tower (don't upgrade) around until the end of the game.....I haven't seen that the AI targets my towers.....plus, if you time everything right, you can bring the tower into position to hasten the city's fall big time with that +50%. Add a General and bonus for adjacent units......cities fall like a hot knife through butter.

12. Tibbz

Tibbz Chieftain

Meh they are ok I'm not a fan. Their passive is sort of too random for my liking. I am a heavy warmonger and go domination. I play on immortal, standard, pangea. It seems whenever I play Assyria I get stuck out in the middle of nowhere surrounded by mountains so I can barely even make use of the siege tower.

Personally, my favorite civs are china, poland, shoshone, and zulu.

13. Duponey

Duponey Chieftain

The only problem is with human or on deity (immortal sometimes).
    Humans tend to place troops in front of the siege tower, blocking them.
    The AI on deity level may do the same only because he tends to have too many troops...
    Even on the highest levels, the AI as no clue how to fight, making the warmongering easier than a peaceful win.

14. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

True. The more I play CIV, the more I realize that this is its greatest flaw.

15. Tiggurix

Tiggurix Warlord

Doesn't work. The promotion explicitly explains that you have to be BY the city for the promotion to have an effect.

16. oxygenjoe

oxygenjoe Chieftain

When capturing a city as Assyria, do they prompt you which tech was stolen? Or are we supposed to keep track of all our researched techs?

17. The QC

The QC Quietly Confident

You get the same message that you get when you take a tech from a hut, for instance.

18. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

I only wish there was a sort of notification (besides a minor one that appear through trading) as to how many techs the other CIV has. I lost so many units invading Jakarta last night only to capture the city and not get any free tech bc I was more advance than they were.

19. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

Drat. I guess placing them by my own city with Bombers in it is out of the question then :rolleyes:

20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I throw a trade route to all my neighbors to see who has techs that I don't (and how many). When the trade route expires, I pop over and raze a few small cities. Surprisingly, my warmonger status never stayed for long because I didn't take any capitals or wipe them out. It's like picking apples off the tree.