@AUTOBUILD question

Barocca

Chieftain
does anyone know definitively how many structure the AI can handle using the @AUTOBUILD instruction in CITYPREF.TXT?

what i am seeing is the domestic advisor losing the plot when it comes to build structure 22

??

B.

no
not the advice text

civ2 fw/mge/ucc

when you select auto in the build menu
you can define what gets built and i which order by creating a text file called citypref.txt,

the first line in this file you write
@AUTOBUILD
and then list the improvements in the order you want (on succeeding lines)
(spelling must match rules.txt)

for a scenario this file is put into the scenario folder
for a regular game it is put in root folder (where civ2.exe resides)

this text file tells the "domestic advisor" what to build and in which order,

when set to build on auto the "domestic advisor" will run down the list and build the next item in the list providing you have the tech for it

my question is
IS THE LIMIT for this file 21 structures?

(NOTE you can tell the military advisor NOT to build defensive units by putting the @NODEFEND switch in the same file either before or after your list but this switch must NOT be placed between @AUTOBUILD and the list)

Example

@NODEFEND
@AUTOBUILD
Temple
Marketplace
Library

cheers,
B.

It gets confused if the entry in CityPref does not match the one in @Improvements exactly. Theoretically speaking, of course. Never would have been so careless to do that myself. ;)

I think I've also seen it falter if the improvement's preq is discovered after its 'turn' in a city's queue. Never tried much beyond 8 entries, though. Just couldn't figure out enough of standard sequence that was suitable for all cities.

Once you have a good CityPref, though, it really gets rid of a lot of micromanaging. :goodjob:

well spelling is ok (thanks for the suggestion)
and it falters right at entry 21, I just added a new structure into the list (around entry 18 or so) and citypref is failing a structure earlier than it was.

still, it takes care of the first 20 or so for me :)

Boco said:
Sounds like a finite length limit. Have you tested moving the line (21?) at which it falters, to a much earlier point in the file?

good idea, i shuffled the list to check that,
thought maybe one errant structure, but no

however, you did give me another good idea, (thinking on a tangent here)
if, when you get to the "lockup" point you turn autobuild off And build a unit, then set the city back to autobuild/domestic then it will work it's way through the rest of the list just fine.

cheers,
B.

Top Bottom