Barbarian/Settler spawn question

BobTheTerrible

Just Another Bob
I have 2 questions:

1) Is there an easy way (i.e. xml) to make either Barbarian cities or barbarian settlers spawn along with the civs? (I know barbarian cities/units don't form until the avg amount of cities for all players is 2, which is in the SDK; and I doubt there's an easy way to make them spawn with players. There's also the # of turns before barbarians spawn set in the handicap info xml, but the 2-city average in the SDK overrides this # anyway)

2) Is there an easy way (again, xml) to make civs begin with 2 settlers rather than 1 in the start of the game? I know in the civ-specific xml files there's a setting for starting # of settler units, but that didn't seem to help anything when I bumped it up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

For 2, try messing around with some of the stuff in Handicapinfo in Assets\XML\GameInfo
Maybe the iAIstarting_______ fields. I dont know for sure, this is just a hunch.

1 may be in there too, but i dont know where.

For 2, try messing around with some of the stuff in Handicapinfo in Assets\XML\GameInfo
Maybe the iAIstarting_______ fields. I dont know for sure, this is just a hunch.

1 may be in there too, but i dont know where.

Like I said, 1 is in Handicap info but the SDK overrides it. 2 is not in there either; there's a field for starting worker units, defense units, and explore units, but not settler units.

You can do 2 with free units in XML/Civilizations/CivilizationInfos. Put this in for every Civilization.

<FreeUnitClasses>
...<FreeUnitClass>
......<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_SETTLER</UnitClassType>
......<iFreeUnits>2</iFreeUnits>
...</FreeUnitClass>
...<FreeUnitClass>
......<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_TANK</UnitClassType>
......<iFreeUnits>4</iFreeUnits>
...</FreeUnitClass>
</FreeUnitClasses>

And every civ will start with 2 settlers and 4 tanks. Or, you can customize for specific civs such as the barb civ, meaning presumably you could give them settlers so that once they do spawn they set up a civilization quick. I wonder if barb cities recognize other barb cities as being of the same barb civ? Or how that works. I vaguely recall seeing barbs fighting each other. Maybe it was a dream.

Thanks for your answer. I actually tried this originally, but I put free settler units to 1, thinking that it would give me 1 in addition to the 1 that you normally get. EDIT: hmm... it's set to 1 by default, I could swear I tried setting it to 2 before, but I must have done something wrong. It worked this time.

I wonder if barb cities recognize other barb cities as being of the same barb civ? Or how that works. I vaguely recall seeing barbs fighting each other. Maybe it was a dream.

All barbarians recognize each other as friendly. If 2 barbarian citiies overlap culture, it forms a continuous, bigger barbarian state.

Top Bottom