• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Barbarians frequency

vbfall

Chieftain
Hey guys! This may have been raised before, but I'm not finding the thread - I've been trying a few games of MoM and getting a LOT of barbarian placement from the beginning. There are outposts spaced only a bit further apart than you would put cities without overlap. Questions:
  1. Is this intentional for MoM? Or something I did in the custom configs? (ErebusContinent map, raging barbarians turned off)
  2. Any suggestion on where to look for a parameter to lower barbarian placement?
Roughly 1/3 of the AI civs are getting killed early on by the barbarians, which is quite disappointing.

You may have some hard time with barbarians in the early stage of MoM. Once researching Warrior Caste tech, you will be given two 'experienced' military units. Then Rise of a Legend ritual will provide fairly strong Unique unit of your civ. And a few early spellresearch can provide free adepts. Gather these units and add one basic warrior(or two?) to the stack then go for the first barbarian fort. You do not need to hurry sweeping barbarians around your palace. You will become familiar with all these barbarians soon :) Just watch out Lizaardmen and werewolves. They can make a surprise attack and pick up your workers from unexplored territory for their movement point is two.

If you still want to reduce barbarian spawn, refer to this thread.(https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/reducing-the-amount-of-camps.624179/#post-14921739)

Thanks @Felis catus ! I can manage the barbarians, mostly I don't want the AI civs to be killed too fast. I found out that increasing the difficulty helps with that (gives them more bonuses), but I'll check that other thread as well.

I also tried messing with the values on the Full of Resources map script, but that didn't seem to have any effect at all. I'll try that XML pointed in the other thread to see if makes more impact.

I found out that increasing the difficulty helps with that (gives them more bonuses)
Higher difficulties than your average level will not be very hard to play with in MoM XT.

I also tried messing with the values on the Full of Resources map script
I have never tried that map script but I recommend to try ones with MoM_ in their names. Most of others are not very perfectly compatible with MoM usually.

Hi
Yes, I have noticed that AI is prone to keep lairs untouched, or even to found cities in nearby plot and then they get overwhelmed.
I think it can be tied on how the AI assign unit to stack foreseen for invasion and stack foreseen to destroy lair, which are different and dedicated to the mission. I would like AI to first train its combat unit to destroy lair and then assign them for invading other player.
Can't promise anything, but I hope for some improvements in v0.5 ....

Hi
Yes, I have noticed that AI is prone to keep lairs untouched, or even to found cities in nearby plot and then they get overwhelmed.
I think it can be tied on how the AI assign unit to stack foreseen for invasion and stack foreseen to destroy lair, which are different and dedicated to the mission. I would like AI to first train its combat unit to destroy lair and then assign them for invading other player.
Can't promise anything, but I hope for some improvements in v0.5 ....
If helpful, I noticed the AI did clear a few lairs in mid/late game, but usually only after I had killed the first 1-2 barbarians on it.

Top Bottom