Barbarians renamed Terrorists after Modern Era

Apparently, the word originated from the Greek βάρβαρος (barbaros), and was later imported to Latin by the Romans.

Apparently, the word originated from the Greek βάρβαρος (barbaros), and was later imported to Latin by the Romans.

Yeah @Browd and @unpossible251 have it right - "barbarian" is originally a Greek word for anyone who wasn't cultured enough to speak Greek. I think its more general use as an insult applied even then, with various Greek city-states denouncing even their Hellenic neighbours as "barbarians" when they deemed it necessary.

The term was imported into Latin to describe uncivilised (i.e. not Greek or Roman) people. The term stuck especially in Numidia where it came to describe the Berber (Amazigh) inhabitants. Hence that region, and wider North Africa became the Barbary Coast, and from there the Corsairs got their name.

Then obviously the term stuck around as an all-purpose insult for any culture you deemed to be lesser than yours.

Then obviously the term stuck around as an all-purpose insult for any culture you deemed to be lesser than yours.

Which is the reason why I think it would make a good casus belli, though I'm unsure of what we'd call the current barbarians instead.

Last edited:
Which is the reason why I think it would make a good caucus belli, though I'm unsure of what we'd call the current barbarians instead.

To be fair, between the Holy War and the Colonial War casus we cover the two main historical reasons stated for anti-"barbarian" wars since the Middle Ages, i.e. they're barbarians because they don't worship our god, or they're barbarians because they don't have guns.

Perhaps an equivalent to Colonial War for low culture output could also apply, though. Hojo would be pleased with that.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

There should be an era to call barbarians "partisans." After all, spies can recruit partisans.

Im sure in Civ 1&2 they were partisans that would pop up after you capture a city in later eras, another feature that disappeared for no apparent reason!

Top Bottom