Basic GIMP Command Reference

Gray Wolf

Winter Wolf
This is just a quick and dirty GIMP reference list to help people who are just learning GIMP.

Here are the most heavily used commands:

Tools/Selection Tools/Rectangle Select ('R' key for short)
This lets you select a rectangle area in the image.

Tools/Selection Tools/Eclipse Select ('E' key for short)
This lets you select a circular area in the image.

Tools/Selection Tools/Fuzzy Select ('U' key for short)
This lets you select everything in a contiguous area. For example, you can click 'U' and then click on the background color to select all of that area of the image...

Edit/Copy
This copies the currently selected area. If nothing is selected, it copies the whole image.

Edit/Paste As/New Image
This pastes an image as a new image...

Edit/Paste As/New Layer
This pastes an image into the top left part of your current image. Then you can use 'M' to move that image somewhere and Layer/Merge Down to lock it into place.

Tools/Transform Tools/Move ('M' key for short)
This lets you move an object that is selected.

Windows/Toolbox
This shows you the toolbox and you can see the foreground color and background color. They are both stacked on top of each other. Foreground is on the top. You can double click on a color to change it to something else.

How to Change Color of a Selected Area
Use 'R' to select an area. Then right click and then Edit/Change Color to Foreground color (which you set beforehand using the Windows/Toolbox commands described above)

Image/Mode RGB
This changes the image to RGB mode.

Image/Mode/Indexed
This changes the image to indexed mode. And what you want to do in Civ 3
is set the indexed color total = 254. And then you pretty much have to Export the file as a pcx file
and re-open it to change the palette. To view the palette, Windows/Dockable Dialogs/Colormap.
Then you need to set index=255 to Pink (ff00ff) and index=254 to Neon Green (00ff00).

Layer/Merge down.
Merges the top layer down 1 level.

Well, those are the most important GIMP commands and I am adding them here because when I first started using GIMP I had no idea what to do. So this can help people get started...

Top Bottom