Best Gov for AW Game?

Corwin of Amber

Warlord
I'm playing up on Demigod as Emperor is pretty comfortable for me now. I'm on a tiny map and it is down to me vs. Babylon. They've got a tech lead on me that I don't think I can bring back, as they have more land. So, I need to take that away from them. My warring with them is tending to drag out. I just signed peace with them to regroup a bit and build a military academy and so forth. After I go back to war with them, I will just keep figthing until I get a domination win or conquest win. What government will be best? I'm in Republic now but they've got Universal Sufferage so I don't guess Republic will be that effective as last time my lux slider was up to 60%.

Since this is not AW, why not stay with whatever you are in currently? If the WW gets bad, make peace.

vmxa said:
Since this is not AW, why not stay with whatever you are in currently? If the WW gets bad, make peace.

I'll try it. After the peace treaty expires I'll go after them again. They are a few techs ahead and are going to beat me to ToE so I have to be careful. AI can do scary things to you when they have railroads and tanks and I don't have rubber, so I'd be defending with rifleman until I take their rubber. Hopefully I can use my Cav to cut up their rails though.

I have been playing on small or tiny maps to try to speed up games but I'm not sure it really helps that much and it changes the tactics so much. It ends being hard becuase you can't play the AI off one another when you kill one off and they kill the other off. Then you can only do pointy stick or self research.

If you have Espionage, you could try to sabotage the wonder being built. It is expensive iirc. The ToE could be yours if you had a place to do a prebuild and the time needed to research the techs is not too long.

IOW I would have a timed pre to get the ToE as soon as I got the tech. This should be good enough on DG. I can't really speak to tiny maps, never played one.

I'm something like five techs behind. I had a bad start and made some mistakes, should have been more agressive in attacking my neighbor. I can still win though, and the game has been a good learning experience. I'll see how it goes with the WW and will consider a switch to Monarchy. I may try it both ways to see what works best. I have three armies of Sipahi so getting the Pentagon done will lead me into an attack on them. The key will be to move before they are done railroading.

The best thing for me to do was to switch to Monarchy. I tried to make peace and stay with Republic but it didn't work out for me. By the time I was ready to fight again they had me waaaaay outnumbered and outgunned, with tanks, and I had only riflemen as they had the only rubber.

So I went back and replayed, switching to Monarchy and keeping the fight going. I settled a bunch of their land and after I built a few libraries and my borders expanded I won a conquest victory.

The critical thing was that I had three or four armies. I could send one behind their lines to tear up their roads/railroad connections to resources, so pretty soon I was just figting guerillas that I could pick off before they could get near me.

Maybe if I had just done twenty turns of peace I could have hit them hard and fast and stayed in Republic, but for this game I think it was easier for me to switch. Usually I do like to space out my wars and stay in Republic though.

Thanks for the comments.

One thing, AW means you cannot make peace. In the normal AW game you have to declare upon contact and never make peace. Weither you allow trades at the first contact is your choice.

If they are the only civ left there is no really important reason to wait the full 20 turns to attack. It's only going to trash your now irrelevant trading reputation.

If Babylon is the only other civ left, just conquer enough of their empire for a domination victory. Keep extra gold to rush stuff if you cant conquer the whole empire (rush cultural buildings). :culture:

Monarchy and maybe commie if the game is going to last a long time from the point you research it. Usually my AW games are pretty much over by the time I get to commie, thus the switch to commie isn't worth it unless you are religious and can avoid the risk of extended anarchy. Some people love to switch to commie, I usually don't see much added benefit.

Sounds like you did the right thing pillaging and grinding out the win. That is usually the best path to victory. The "no pillage" AW variant is a good bit harder.

As someone said earlier, true AW requires no peace ever. You declare on the turn you meet a civ. Some folks place a no trading restriction before you declare. Others will trade & then declare.

Top Bottom