Best leaders... and why ?

Willem Van Oranje, why ? Creative is not that good (at least, it's what I've heard, I'm still just a newbie), and his UU seems to be mediocre.

Frederick the Great is the best leader. That guy can occupy silesia in the morning and then write a symphony in the afetrnoon.

Willem Van Oranje, why ? Creative is not that good (at least, it's what I've heard, I'm still just a newbie), and his UU seems to be mediocre.
Financial can be very powerful, especially if your civ is geared towards naval domination (naval UU and UB).
I really like Creative: with it, i don't have to bother building Stonehenge if it's not convenient, it can win a few border wars for me, and cheap Libraries and Theatres i find rather nice.
Plus, he's new, so there's some hype ^^

Another question; some people on this forum have said Mansa Musa was often leading in terms of technology. Is it because of his traits or because of the specific AI personality ? Phi/Fin [Elizabeth I] seems to be a better combination to do so than Spi/Fin.

Elizabeth is the most insane, outrageously awesome, powerfully broken, and lethally glorious leader there ever was! Ever!

You can run a CE and an SE at the same time! It may have something to do with my opinion though, as I perceive Philosophical to be the best trait there is, followed by Financial, followed by Spiritual.

But come on! Philosophical is very powerful in and of itself, and financial is just pure awesomeness. Since more often I'm playing just for fun (a level lower than what challenges me, and custom settings), I'll pick Elizabeth and some other civilization, usually Holy Rome for the Rathauses.

Another question; some people on this forum have said Mansa Musa was often leading in terms of technology. Is it because of his traits or because of the specific AI personality ? Phi/Fin [Elizabeth I] seems to be a better combination to do so than Spi/Fin.

It's a combination of Financial + Mansa's personality. He is the biggest tech trader AI - he constantly looks to trade and has the highest threshold for WFYABTA. Meaning even after all of the other civs no longer want to trade with you, Mansa will happily continue doing so.

Any financial Civ has a decent shot at running away with a tech lead. Ghandi is exceptional in that he is consistently in the race for the tech lead but he is not financial. Peter will sometimes surprise you as well, but not as consistently as Ghandi.

Creative is an excellent trait:

- Culture in and of itself isn't all that glorious, +2 culture may not be very important, but could come in handy for a cultural win
- Rapid border expansion, this can drastically make things easier, especially in the early game
- Fast buildings are the primary reason I regard creative with higher-than-normal standars; the ability to quickly build libraries for the +25% is far underrated; the ability to quickly build collosseums isn't that useful; the ability to quickly build theatres can come in handy when warmongering, as a theatre is one of the first things to build after an invasion

Best leaders IMHO. Marathon speed, huge maps which is a point for selection 3

1) Ramses II. Industrious for most early wonders, spiritual no anarchy plus fast temples. UB almost guarentees founding christianity and shrine by getting 2 priests in city where stonehenge was built. Early powerful UU.
2) Agustus. Industrious as above except his UB adds 25% GP rate which is a mini IND/PHIL leader. Imperialistic and UU go in another direction totally and is a very powerful combo. The city of Rome is a great wonder building city, while everyother city can focus on Prats early on utilizing the faster GG production.
3) Washington. Noone talks about him much but I found he is pretty good. He can grow the large cities quickly because of charismatic and expansive traits. Fast graneries/Harbors, plus quicker promoted units. He also starts with fishing/agriculture so he can feed the cities faster. His UB and UU are late but with huge maps a cavalry rush really doesn't win many games (maybe in my games). His UU is awesome for amphibious landing and is usually built highly promoted at that point (it is nothing to churn out level 5 seals from several cities), how many UUs in the game can be realistically built that highly promoted except mongol cavalry (maybe). The UB offers alot of happiness and 20% gold you just have to tech refridgeration after electricity instead of beelining radio or industrialization.
4) Hyuan Capac for reason explained in previous posts.
5) Asoka. Organized/spiritual is a strong combo for any victory but he a great suttle war monger. An early religion, running any civics, fast workers (best UU in the game) and with BTS a very useful UB.
6) Napolean. My opinion the best war monger from beginning of the game to the end. UU is a bit weeker now that they keep up with Crussairs instead of cavalry (since we cannot build muskateers once we get cavalry because of rifling) and the UB is great only if running representation.

All leaders have some strength in thier traits/UU/UB so each situation is different. But the above leaders are my favorites.

the ability to quickly build theatres can come in handy when warmongering, as a theatre is one of the first things to build after an invasion

The reason I build theaters in captured cities (and only if there is a courthouse) is to expand borders fast to the fat cross size. The culture trait eliminates that need.

Theatres are still +3 :culture: if i'm not mistaken, so it goes from +2 to +5. It can be a tremendous help to reclaim some strategic resources, or simply fight a border war, not to mention replacing the local culture by your own much more quickly. This can be useful if you don't eliminate your rival at the end of the war.

Theatres are still +3 :culture: if i'm not mistaken, so it goes from +2 to +5. It can be a tremendous help to reclaim some strategic resources, or simply fight a border war, not to mention replacing the local culture by your own much more quickly. This can be useful if you don't eliminate your rival at the end of the war.

If I am cultural I think I would prefer a library over a theater. Captures cities I build courthouse/theater/barracks/granary/library unless I am cultural then I eliminate the theater.

Tooks the words out of my mouth Percy. By that stage in the game there will be a lot of local culture to overcome. With theaters at 1/2 cost it's very feasible to whip them with the inevitable unhappy population that is there after anarchy ends.

Creative isn't a trait that a human can "flex" to get a gain a lot of leverage out of but it does make a lot of other, important tasks easier.

Not to get off track on this thread but as far as keeping captured cities. Doesn't if have to do with culture and your own population growth? I will usually whip a courthouse (or theater if needed), a barracks if I want to build some defense fast ot happiness if I am running nationalism, then a granery. I usually have some mature food sources, so if I whip away excess population with a courthouse and granery I can quickly replenish the population under my own flag which reduces the likelyhood of it going into rebellion. I think that is faster than trying to build it culturally. The culture is important for the fat cross which is not needed with a cultural leader.

I've recently been corrected on that point: the % you see of the population being your own or your opponent's seem to solely depend on _cultural_ factors, not on population points.

I assume it works this way: when you take the city, it had generated X culture for its nationality. When you take it, you start generating Y culture for your own. These are the numbers used to weigh the different nationalities present in the city.

Ideally, someone will confirm using the XML.

I've recently been corrected on that point: the % you see of the population being your own or your opponent's seem to solely depend on _cultural_ factors, not on population points.

I assume it works this way: when you take the city, it had generated X culture for its nationality. When you take it, you start generating Y culture for your own. These are the numbers used to weigh the different nationalities present in the city.

Ideally, someone will confirm using the XML.

I never realized this. I have captured enemy cities and culture bombed them with GAs only to have the cities still go into revolt. I always thought it was population but I guess I am wrong.

I never realized this. I have captured enemy cities and culture bombed them with GAs only to have the cities still go into revolt. I always thought it was population but I guess I am wrong.
As i've said, i don't know, i assumed culture AND pop were important, until someone told me i was wrong. It needs to be confirmed =)

Mediocre traits: Protective, Imperialistic
I disagree. It depends on the trait combination - imperialistic+organized is pretty cool. Protective is extremely helpful when you start building Riflemen.

So I think that Charlemagne is one of the best leaders in the game. Imperialistic+Rathäuser means that you can get a big empire fast and cheap. And more Great Generals+Protective means a LOT of promotions once you reach Rifling. He's the perfect Warmonger imho.

I also like Cyrus's Imperialistic+Charismatic though it's somewhat hard to establish a good economy with these traits.

Top Bottom