1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Mods

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by HughFran, Apr 12, 2016.

1. HughFran

HughFran Prince

Hi all,

I know this might have been asked in the past but I just wanted to start a new thread that I can keep track of. I was browsing through the Civ 5 mods on Steam the other day and it was a bit overwhelming how many there were and I couldn't figure out where to start!!

I am looking for a few good mods to spice up the Civ 5 experience and I was wondering what people think are the best ones out there. Believe it or not, I've never installed a mod before because I was always afraid of breaking the game or not being able to revert back.

What is the general consensus on the best mods out there? I am thinking along the lines of scenarios, terrain and improving gameplay.

Thanks!

2. Kriogen

Kriogen Warlord

If something goes horibly wrong, you can just delete Civ5 and let Steam reinstall it.

You also play Civ5 mods by clickiing "mods" button. Its not a "regular" start.

I liked "better barbarians style" mods. More barbs that can take cities and abduct defeated units. Because it was so weird, different. Google "Civ5 white walkers".

Mods in the line of "better AI" where also good.

3. HughFran

HughFran Prince

Can you combine mods and have more than one running in one game? I've been looking online and saw a good one for religion, another good one for terrain and another that fixes the ethnic look of units - could I add all three of these and run them together or would that break the game?

4. KingKong76

KingKong76 Warlord

I'm not a huge mod user, but until now, I did not came acros any mods that ''broke the game''. Neither across 2 mods that would'nt work together.

I use on regular babsis.

Enhance User Interface (self explained)

4UC and 3 UC (3rd and 4th Unique traits, units, buildng, etc for every civs in the game) Very well done, logical, buffed some civ that needed a buff... I like it...

Ingame editor (let you edit EVERYTHING!!) Very nice to test specific situations without having to wait for it or spend several minutes/hours to provoke it.

5. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Multiple mods (particularly if made by different mod authors) can conflict with each other, particularly if they try to modify the same menus or other game features. Some of those conflicts merely trigger minor glitches, while others can result in game crashes. But none of that should dissuade you from playing with multiple mods -- if you encounter problems, use process of elimination to identify the conflicting mod(s), disable those and play on.

6. HughFran

HughFran Prince

I added a few mods yesterday and it definitely makes for a new experience! I added on that completely changes the perks you get from Pantheons which is interesting. I also added one that modifies each unit to give them an ethnic look for each nation and I added the 'smart AI' mod. Two others I added were the new promotions mod and the mod that allows unlimited experience from killing barbs. I don't think I'll play with them all the time but it definitely brings a whole new experience to the game!

7. Troller0001

Troller0001 Watching from a safe distance

I like infoAddict, cause you know, GRAPHS.
    The Mod is basically an advanced version of the demographics, accessed via the drop-down menu like the demographics (All the AI has access to the same information as well, so it isn't considered cheating)

8. rover6695

rover6695 Prince

I have to say I LOVE these mods:

-Outposts....which means you can build an outpost outside your city territory, station a unit in there...and then get the adjacent territory IF it is not in range of another city...and then you can improve the tiles and get those resources....love it....nice to be able to have outposts without cities

-Global Warming....excellent...really adds a curveball in the later game...keep those workers handy to make repairs and beware of massive hurricanes