Best Natural Wonder?

Since this 'problem' also ocurred with me a few times, I always turn 'Policy Saving' on. A couple of games ago I stumbled on Mt Kilimanjaro on t6, maybe not that special but I was playing as.. The Inca! Without a doubt the most easy DV I've ever won :goodjob:

Yup, see my post earlier in this thread. Incan slingers with mountaineering upgrade into some pretty lethal ranged units.

Fountain of Youth, or maybe Uluru. Getting that early religion can be really powerful, especially if you have something like a jungle start and snag Sacred Path.

One time, I had a game with FoY and Kilimanjaro both in my borders. I ended up supercharging one of my Companion Cavalries... March+double heal rate is incredible.

There really aren't any NW's that are BAD... save for perhaps the Grand Mesa. Some can be harder to use, but even something as seemingly small as Old Faithful or Baringer Crater can be really good.

Best combination
I re-rolled again as Spain and got GBR and LV. What I said about LV is rubbish this NW is ace. My LV city managed to get Alhambra and FP which I never get, needless to say when I decided to go to war the world took note as paratroopers that can attack after they para-drop are OP. Add in a GBR and you can probably say "I win".

^ the good ol days of blitz XCOM.

Kilimanjaro is a very good strategic wonder, and so is FoY. I'd put them highest on the list especially if I want domination. plus altitude training and Inca or generally anything that has extra movement would be incredibly good (berserkers, impi)

Best combination
What I said about LV is rubbish this NW is ace. My LV city managed to get Alhambra and FP which I never get

Yup, as I mentioned, there are times when LV is just an awesome NW. Glad you managed to use it to its' full advantage.

There have been a lot of good threads ranking various civs by tiers, and I've found them to be interesting reading. The caveat, of course, is that some civs are "conditions dependent". I'd say if we did the same thing, ranking NW's by tiers, LV would be one that is godlike in some circumstances, and just a source of unhappiness in others (OK, it will never be THAT bad).

Who wants to start a NW tier list?

Well, I can, for one.

Based on all of this discussion, the very best seem to be Ulura (which I obtained in one of the deity challenges, were it was great), Lake Victoria, Fountain of Youth, Great Barrier Reef, El Dorado and Mt. Kilamonjaro. So, here's a proposed rough system:

You have tiers, I'd say 'Game Breaking', 'amazing', 'pretty good', 'normal good' and 'waste of time given other things you could be doing'. If a wonder would be notably better with a certain civ or strategy, then it gets an asterisk.

The Game Breakers seem to be Ulura, Fountain of Youth and Lake Victoria.

There are tiers that's for sure. When I roll a Spain game, I consider things like Old Faithful, Grand Mesa etc to be secondary wonders. On continents you sometimes get a 'good one' and also a secondary one.T he good ones obviously are the ones discussed above.

I guess I'll do this tiers thing.

Game-Making (I wouldn't call it breaking) - Fountain of Youth, Uluru, Great Barrier Reef, King Solomon's Mines, Lake Victoria.
Excellent - El Dorado, Sri Pada, Mt. Kilimanjaro, Rock of Gibraltar.
Good - Mt. Sinai, Mt. Kailash, Mt. Fuji, Cerro de Potosi.
I'll take it, I guess - Old Faithful, Baringer Crater.
Nope - Grand Mesa.
What the hell, game, how exactly do you expect me to work that? Why are you so useless! You could have been so good! - Krakatoa.

All of these assume that they've been found at a fairly early stage in the game. Bonuses fall off hard later. Even something like 10gpt, which can be huge early, is not particularly impressive later. The game-making ones are the exception because with the exception of Uluru, I believe they retain their usefulness throughout. FoY is doubly good because you don't actually have to work it to get the happiness, it just has to be within your territory.

ADDENDUM: Asterisk by all of them for Spain, hah. Spain can turn most NW's into game-makers, and anything above 'Good' becomes a game-breaker.

Top Bottom