Best Uses for Great People

Great Generals: Keep or Golden Age as needed.

Great Scientist: Tech, early academy (if your tech is 18 then an academy just makes sense)

Great Engineer: Wonder or Golden Age

Great Merchant: City State for some cash and a nice big influence boost people seem to forget about the boost.

Great Artist: Culture Bomb water tile for oil thats just out of reach. Or Golden Age. Yes they can use bomb while embarked.
also - why cant the developers name it whatever they want?

I almost always use a Great Engineer for wonder rush build. it's very useful in this sense.
Culture bomb of the Great Artist is only useful when a strategic resource are in the region. And when you really need one, you normally don't have the other........ so GA is normally the option.
I tried to keep two GG so i have options to fort one when things gets rough or making two front wars at the same time.
Great scientist = Free Tech. I always use it this way.

Engineer is especially good to quickly pop wonders in cities where you can realistically produce one for policy bonus.

Great Generals: Keep one if at war, if not then golden age
Great Artist: golden age
Great Scientist: free tech or golden age if way ahead of others
Great merchant: trade if need money, golden age if not

Once I have 5 great people popped into golden ages in sequences. Helped me deliver pain to Darius who was laughing at my longswordmen with his riflemen only to be laughed at back with mechanical infantries spawning every 2-3 turns (arab and their gold....)

I recently learned that culture bomb also works on citystates. It can be nice if you're crammed for space and there's some nice tiles/resources across the border. Otherwise, golden age.

if you aiming for cultural victory great artist improvement is actually thing you will be looking for
among all of improvements i think artist's one have most reason and use.... having 4-5 of those (artists easy to farm) will give you nice chunk to culture bonuses, multiplied with sp bonuses and wonder bonuses that a quite big chunk of culture outcome..

Its super nice when you spawn great merchants from educated elite.

just trade mission into whicher city state spawned it, and put the gold into another.

If you have some useless desert tiles, you can settle the Greats to make Buildings.
For example, the Great Artist builds a Landmark that adds (I think) 4 or 5 Culture.

That is a good point, had not thought of that. And Artist or Merchant would be a good fit for a useless tile in a huge city. I can't imagine it being worth it for a small city, but a large one in a late age with a useless tile could really be benefited.

Read my post. Stick the fort out in the middle of the hallway. Don't even put anyone in it. Watch as they all die walking past it because the AI is dumb. Kill the 1-4 HP units at the end of the hallway until his whole army dies.

The fort gives a double defense bonus and cannot bombard.

Anyone know if that stacks, so if you have a Panagea passageway covered with forts could you just sap a complete string of armies?

Top Bottom