Beta: The Epic Mod of Epic Proportions

Meteor Man

Cylindropuntia imbricata
Added v.2.6 - Jan 30, 2016
Added v2.5 - May 31, 2011

Wars are won by people who actually go out and do things.
-George Patton

The Epic Mod of Epic Proportions

This mod attempts to relive the period of human history spanning approximately 6000 years from 4000 BCE to circa 2050 CE. This includes technologies starting with the invention of the wheel and the first farming, to integrated defensive systems and even anti-matter weapons. While the gameplay was modified to create a mod that parallels human history, it does not follow it. Rather, this mod is meant to be a historical simulator, much like the original Civilization games were, including Civilization 3.

The History

Idea for this mod first came about around two years ago. I was playing an epic game as suddenly one of my frigates lost to an enemy galley. This got me thinking. Renaissance frigates, wielders of cannon, should not lose to ancient galleys whose only weapons are arrows. The only logical way to fix this without changing the base rules was by increasing the amount of hit-points carried by a frigate. This idea soon expanded to include land and air units as well. This is how the mod file came to be called increased. (It's not anymore. The new folder name is "To End all Mods." v2.6)

Features

1. new units
2. completely re-done technology tree (see screenshots)
3. civilopedia entries (need to be completed)
4. governments
5. hitpoints differentiated
6. re-done units lines
7. re-done unit stats
8. new terrain and terrain improvements
9. new resources
10. new buildings
11. new civs
12. culture specific wonders explained below
13. new music

Culture Specific Wonders

Have you ever scratced your head when it was announced that the Americans had built the Pyramids, or that Leonardo's Workshop was completed in Bejing? The new culture specific wonders will change that. For example, only Asian civs will be able to build Sun Tzu's Art of War (which puts barracks in every city). But other civs will not lose out on its benifets: the Europeans can build the Reichstag which does the same thing, and the American civs can construct the Battle of Gettysburg. Not all civs can build all wonders though, so keep that in mind. The Africans for example don't have a wonder that puts barracks in all cities like the Europeans, Asians, and Americans. Wonders are researched via "wonder-techs", seperated from the main tech tree in order to achieve culture specific wonders. For example, the Eiffel Tower can be constructed after the discovery of World Fairs which is not required for era advancement and needs the tech Europe as well as Industrialization to be researched. Europe is awarded as a free tech at the beginning of the game to all Europea civilizations.

Offensive Defense

The best way to defend is to attack and the best way to attack is to attack. At Chancellorsville, Lee was asked why he attacked when he was outnumbered three to one. He said he was too weak to defend.
-George Patton

The whole of this mod revolves around one key strategy: offensive defense. The units are made especially for this, their attack being higher than defense in most ages. Take the necessary precautions against enemy cavalry, and don't say i didn't warn you!

Recommended Settings

Works best on standard to large map where there is lots of competition for wonders from other civs of the same culture. No wonder victory and turn off accelerated production (there are a lot of buildings that add production) and don't use regicide (mostly because the names of the leaders haven't been changed becuase i'm working on the leader names). This mod was tested thoroughly on Warlord, normal agression.

World Map
Soon I will implement this mod on a world map. Stay tuned.

Screenshots (changes added featured in BOLD)

Spoiler for old screenshots
Spoiler :
1. American Independence
New animation for the frigate
Spoiler :

2. African Archer civilopedia text
Hit-point info erased in civpedia, different terrain, warrior code part of old tech tree, new animation for African Pikeman
Spoiler :

3. The International Space Station Wonder
Terrain different, Miniturization part of old tech tree
Spoiler :

4. Era Two tech tree for Britain
Fuedal changed to Feudal
Spoiler :

5. A Midieval Japanese worker army
New animation for Samurai, old Samurai animation used for Bushi mercenary
Spoiler :

Spoiler for Screenshots from v2.0
Spoiler :
1. The Crusades Gone Awry:
Spoiler :

2. Shows how well this mod parallels the historical date:
Spoiler :

3. The Ninja Training School small wonder:
Spoiler :

New Screenshots (v2.5):

1. Textile Industry
Spoiler :

2. Pirates!
Spoiler :

3. Transcontinental Railroad Construction
Spoiler :

Credits

Firaxis-- for its completely re-playable, addicting game
Thunderfall-- for creating the great CFC Forums!
Plotinus-- for his Javelineer unit
Sn00py-- for his awsome terrain
Vuldacon-- for his wonderful lengthened and colorful fireworks
Wrymshadow-- for his never-endingly awesome WWI units, Modern tanks, and his EU Battlewalker
Sandris-- for his amazing Ancient and Middle Age units
Steph-- for using some of his units that he used in his mod
Corn-- for his optionally used new borders
Pounder-- for his great, extensive terrain modifications, including his railroads, roads, and barracks/airfield/harbor signs
Pounder-- for his expanded wonder splash screens
Goldfool-- for his different barbarian encampments
Ares de Borg (I think)-- for some tech icons
Navy Seal-- for some of his Modern units and his Mig 18 unit
Orthac (I think) for the flyut, sloop, East Indiaman, and Frigate
Whoever made the Lion Swordsman civpedia picture
Whoever made the Continental Musketman unit graphic
Anyone who made wonder graphics, splashes, ect. (I used a lot of them)
MEM Mod-- for many units used
RAR Mod-- for many units used
Aaglo (I think)-- for the WWI Russ Tank
Heretic_Cata-- many units and ideas used from his mod
Google-- some tech icons
Wikipedia-- some civilopedia entries
A bunch of people whose units I used, I can't name them all, if you see yours, tell me and I'll add you.

If I missed anyone, then please bring it to my attention so I can add you to the list!

Note that this MOD is released as "freeware" and cannot be reproduced or released anywhere but the Civilization Fanatics Forums without the express permission of the author. For non-commercial use only.

Download Beta v2.6 (updated 1/30/16)

Without further ado, here is the download. This version is compatible with Conquests v1.22.
DOWNLOAD LINK
The .biq (the map and game file) is located in the uploaded .zip.

Unzip the large file as well as the .biq to your Civilization 3\Conquests\Scenarios folder.

While this mod is still more of a Beta than a finished version, it's basically, for all intents and purposes, done. I may continue to update the Civilopedia, because that's the only thing that is incomplete. And the leaderflags. May update those in the future. I'm not sure, right now college is my life.

New screenshots added. - May 31, 2011

Version 1.0 removed after 347 downloads.
Version 2.0 removed after 261 downloads.
Version 2.5 removed after 1970 downloads.

Last edited:
FYI typo on #4 Fuedal Age s/b Feudal. Hope to get to this next week, you sure have been busy with moddin. Hats off sir.

Our wizard has a mighty staff
It's of this staff we sing
For unlike any other staff
It doesn't do a thing!

(See attachment below.)

Attachments

• City Population.jpg
    City Population.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 1,240
I thought the civilopedia explained it... the city population is only produced in the capital, and the only thing it does is provide a bonus enslavement of the population when the capital is captured by a rival civ.

Also, it doesn't look as if you're playing with the option "show food and shields on map". This is why there appear to be palm trees in the grassland.

Congrats on uploading your mod, Meteor Man. I'm taking a gander at it now.

FYI, with Steph's editor you can use the same name for multiple units, so if you wanted to go back and eliminate the spaces in the various Spearmen, for example, you could do so.

The City population is an interesting idea.

Good luck to you!

Thanks Anthony. Finally did upload it, and just in time as school is starting this week. I haven't downloaded Steph's editor becuase i was a little antsy about the microsoft framework i was supposed to download with it. Could you tell me a bit about that? I'm just worried that my computer won't be able to handle it. (Intel(R) Celeron(R) M, processor: 1.30 GHz 1.29 GHz, 1.23 GB of RAM)(i've got a bunch of RAM, but no processor. Go figure.)

Steph could tell you a helluva lot more about it than I could. I was able to download it on my aging computer with no trouble but I haven't actually used it much. He included a number of features on it to make everyone's modding life a little smoother.

Finally started and selected Macedonia, but in the game they are Greeks. I know that Macedonia is Greek, but it made me wonder. Are there Macedonians and Greeks? If only one, then always refer to them with the same name please.

BTW I ruined the game as I got an SGL on my first tech and the second hut game a settler.

I meant to ask about the Tactical Traing Camp. I rushed it with the leader, but it says I need to master Warriror Code. I could not find that tech, is it actually Bows? Probably not as I do not have armies in my build queue.

Some really nice representations for many of the techs in the tech tree.

Not sure what triggered it, but I now see small armies in the build list. A popup about the palace making a city pop ocurred. This unit has no pedia and no action button that makes sense to me.

I figured it was a unit that could be moved to a town and join or be upgrade to something else, but apparently not.

PS: The pedia does show they have 1 movement, but you cannot move them.

I meant to ask about the Tactical Traing Camp. I rushed it with the leader, but it says I need to master Warriror Code. I could not find that tech, is it actually Bows? Probably not as I do not have armies in my build queue.

Some really nice representations for many of the techs in the tech tree.

The civilopedia's not done so there is a reference to the Warrior Code.

Not sure what triggered it, but I now see small armies in the build list. A popup about the palace making a city pop ocurred. This unit has no pedia and no action button that makes sense to me.

I figured it was a unit that could be moved to a town and join or be upgrade to something else, but apparently not.

PS: The pedia does show they have 1 movement, but you cannot move them.

Said a bit earlier in this thread:
I thought the civilopedia explained it... the city population is only produced in the capital, and the only thing it does is provide a bonus enslavement of the population when the capital is captured by a rival civ.

Also, it doesn't look as if you're playing with the option "show food and shields on map". This is why there appear to be palm trees in the grassland.

Finally started and selected Macedonia, but in the game they are Greeks. I know that Macedonia is Greek, but it made me wonder. Are there Macedonians and Greeks? If only one, then always refer to them with the same name please.

BTW I ruined the game as I got an SGL on my first tech and the second hut game a settler.

Yeah, guess there was a little indecision on my part. I think I will stick with the Greeks.

The Greeks are fun to play as: spartan hoplites, Macedonian Phalanxes, a lot of Ancient Mediterranean wonders, and I think it has a flavour Modern Armor. Stick with it. :goodjob:

Start back on this tonight a bit and found that SoZ is not flagged to require any resources. I had it pop up as a selection and do not have Ivory. Checked the editor and sure enough, nothing listed.

Pedia says it need Ivory, probably a carryover.

In the build queue Archer and Swordman are both indented with a leading blank.

More schizophrenia in that in some places Argentina is called Inca, same as Greeks and Macedonia. It is a bit an issue, in that I ma not that familiar with the tribes. So I have to look to see, if the Inca are also the Argentians, when they want peace.

PS:
Mayan / Columbia.

I am putting these up as I find them and not stacking them as it is easier to see the points as individual entries. You do not have to respond to them individually or at all of course.

I found I had maybe 25 units, but on had cost of for 10. I had to go to the editor to figure out what units I had that required support. Probably not something that others are going to be willing to do as they expect to find in in the pedia.

Well maybe some day as there are a lot of units. BTW what is the deal with many entries in the editor for some units. I think I saw about 10 spears in the list.

I am jumping from civ to non civ games and that makes it hard to remember things.

Ahh yes. The SoZ. Well, back when I was first implementing this mod on a world map, the greeks were put on the greek peninsula, not surprisingly. There are no elephants in Greece, so I had to take Ivory off the requirements.

The leading blanks are there because I don't have Steph's editor, so I can't make many of the same type of unit name. Instead of there being a swordsman with 8 spaces afterward, I put maybe 2 spaces in front and another one behind to individualize the names. It was intentional.

I find it strange that not all units have a support cost. The ony ones that shouldn't are one that cannot be built but are auto-produced by certain buildings (crusader), or unuts that cannot be disbanded (city population). Can you give me an example of one of these mistakes?

BTW, there are a lot of spears in the editor because there are a lot of flavour spearman. Roman spearman, Indian spearman, Aztec spearman... They all had unique names at one point, but it was changed to clean up the city view.

There. See if that answers anything. ;)

I figured it was do to the units being flavored. AC and peasants are the ones I had that were no cost, iirc. I see that peasant become serfs and they do have support cost. I guess I freak as AC and Crusaders normally do have support cost.

I am fine with SoZ not needing Ivory, just so it does not say it does require it. Was not going to build it as I knew I lacked Ivory. Then a town popped up with it in the queue.

Top Bottom