Beyond Earth 2?

I'm curious though, why they wouldn't provide the number of science victories in Civ VI since the beginning of the year or something. Why just July?

I'm curious though, why they wouldn't provide the number of science victories in Civ VI since the beginning of the year or something. Why just July?
I'm curious how Firaxis+2K collected that statistic.

Is it something we agree to in their EULA(?)
Does the game send a notification or something to 2K servers? How does it work?

84, 721 is a very specific number, rather than an estimate. 🤔

The moon landing happened in July, but even at that they are a few weeks late. Why post it now?
With Midnight Sun's almost ready (?) perhaps 2K+Firaxis were evaluating the market potential for BE 2 so were collecting data in July and decided to share an interesting statistic that also served as a tease?

It sounds like there's been a definitive decision.

I'm curious how Firaxis+2K collected that statistic.

Is it something we agree to in their EULA(?)
Does the game send a notification or something to 2K servers? How does it work?

84, 721 is a very specific number, rather than an estimate. 🤔
Seems like a Steam number to me. For people who play online, with Steam active, they can probably track number of Science Victories, Diplo Victories, Conquest Victories, and so on.

Seems like a Steam number to me. For people who play online, with Steam active, they can probably track number of Science Victories, Diplo Victories, Conquest Victories, and so on.
Ah, from the "Mission to Mars" Steam achievement.

Yes, the studios/publishers must get access to those statistics. So you're probably right. But...

...there are many people who have Civ VI from Mac App Store, Epic, etc. who won't be accounted for. So the actual number is over 87K.

Ah, from the "Mission to Mars" Steam achievement.

Yes, the studios/publishers must get access to those statistics. So you're probably right. But...

...there are many people who have Civ VI from Mac App Store, Epic, etc. who won't be accounted for. So the actual number is over 87K.
Indeed! And even for those who are playing on a PC or console with Steam, they only get the achievement the first time that they win a space victory. There are more people who won their 2nd, 5th, or 10th space victory during the month.

Indeed! And even for those who are playing on a PC or console with Steam, they only get the achievement the first time that they win a space victory. There are more people who won their 2nd, 5th, or 10th space victory during the month.

Oh yeah I forget about those 😁

According to Steam charts there were ~35K active players of Civ VI in Jul 22 on avg.
That means each would have had to perform ~3 space victories to get above 87K. 😦

That seems doubtful to me. I've not had a space victory in ages! (Mostly because Monopolies will give you an early culture win nowadays).

...and to throw some water on this:

Looks like Firaxis' Civ Twitter is sharing some stats.
But now I'm sure they have misinterpreted the results. It's a cumulative stat.
Not just for Jul 22.

See: Steam stats for achievement "Veni, Vidi, vici".
20.6%

That's close to the 26% quoted by Firaxis, if accounting for non-Steam Civ players.

I'm still speculating that they have access to more data than just the achievements. Achievements are a one-time event. No matter how many times one wins a Domination Victory, or a Science Victory, one is awarded the achievement only once.

Since Steam can display how many people fire up the game, can report daily play statistics, I would posit that each time a game completes -- and the Steam connection is online, not offline -- that Steam collects some data about that just-finished game. What type of victory, which civ was played, which game modes and DLC were active. Consider how valuable that data about the game would be... if X number of people bought the Barbarian Clan part of NFP, but (hypothetically) only 0.25X were still using that mode 6 months later, the developers would want to know that. If Steam can provide those types of game data to developers, that is an additional incentive for studios to use Steam as their distribution channel.

Top Bottom