Blimp Unit - pesoloco

pesoloco

Civ-aholic
I have finished the blimp unit. I haven't decided on stats yet but I use it as a non-attack, bombard immobile air unit.

(Unfortunately my trial period for animation studio has run out so I can't post animated gif previews of the blimp. If someone would be kind enuff to post some, I would really appreciate it)

here zip #1 of 2
(Ver 1.00 - no civilopedia yet)

*** MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD BOTH ZIP FILES ***

Though I cna't find a lot of use for this unit it is an excellent addition and of great workmanship. This would be great for a WWI or WWII unit.

Originally posted by Scipio Africanu
Though I cna't find a lot of use for this unit it is an excellent addition and of great workmanship. This would be great for a WWI or WWII unit.

Thanks for the compliment. This is designed to be an early bombing unit.

The Red Baron is on the to-do list
I've been taking my time on it, but I think I better speed it up a little or it will never get done.
:lol: :lol:

and now I just started working on a dinosaur mod too

Excellent. Not trying to rush you, but your Red Baron looks like a cool unit.

On a separate note, how do I make a link to my mod in my comments section like you have for your units? I tried to copy the link as a shortcut and paste it, but obviously that didn't work.

Thanks again for the blimp.

uh-oh, more people have downloaded the second file than the first. Please note that you need BOTH files.

First create a subfolder:
\art\units\Blimp

and unzip the files into that folder

then use CivEdit to add a "Blimp" unit to your civ3mod.bic file.

Originally posted by pesoloco
uh-oh, more people have downloaded the second file than the first. Please note that you need BOTH files.

First create a subfolder:
\art\units\Blimp

and unzip the files into that folder

then use CivEdit to add a "Blimp" unit to your civ3mod.bic file.

I was wondering if anyone else would notice that.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by sealman

I was wondering if anyone else would notice that.:rolleyes:

It looks like it's starting to even out now. Hopefully everyone gets the needed files.

I was under the impression that blimps were used for recon purposes, not for bombing. Early WWI fighters were used to protect the blimps as they spied out enemy troop positions. {Or perhaps I am just an ignorant savage :}

They would be somewhat useful if they could be set up like a scout with the ability to see surrounding terraine. They should be vulnerable to attack both from the air and ground.

Once fighters were "perfected", it was just too dangerous to put up a blimp. Plus it gave away your troop locations...

Could someone confirm what the purpose of blimps was? ;)

In WWI blimps were used to make bombing runs against England. They weren't perfect, and fighters stood a good chance of taking them down, if the fighters could find them. The blimp had the advantage of long range, and it had a higher altitude ceiling than most fighters of that age. By WWII, blimps were obsolete as offensive units, though smaller unmanned blimp shaped ballons were used to keep enemy aircraft from strafing too low (if you look at old pictures of the Normandy invasion, you can see those ballons flying above the transports and the mulberries).

Top Bottom