Bliss Quit

Ferocitus

Deity
Maybe there's a better term for it than the title...

I have now played many games on ludicrous size (200x100) maps at marathon pace
against 25 to 32 other civs. (Not everyone's cup of gluten free yak milk tea I
suppose!)

After about 200 turns (out of 1500) I find that I am leading, or close to
leading in science or culture. I've got a glint in my eye and I'm not going to
sleep for hours. Then, around turn 500 I find that many other civs have got their
collective acts together and start closing the gap. Around turn 700 to 1000 they
start pressing in on me and I see the writing on the wall.

At some stage I decide that I am not going to be able to defend myself against
(e.g. Zule, Mapuche, and Mongol) armies circling my territory. It has taken me
around 15 to 25 hours of play at that stage and I quit, happy and satisfied with
how the game developed over time. "Yeah, you got me again you smart bastards!"
is about as rancorous a thought as I can muster.

I'm not sure if "Bliss Quit" is the opposite of "Rage Quit", which to me suggests
that either someone is taking the game far too seriously or they are
10 years old.

Self-Delusional Quit? Sleep-Deprived Psychosis Quit?

It's okay to just quit if you get tired or don't feel like playing any more in SP. It doesn't need special terminology. The game served its purpose if the experience was enjoyable.

At some stage I decide that I am not going to be able to defend myself against
(e.g. Zule, Mapuche, and Mongol) armies circling my territory.

I finally struck the Mongols in my current game (I play Marathon too, so I still have a few new Civs I haven't met yet in a game) to the south of the Cree who were to the south of me; and damn if that ain't too close! :hide: I've been sucking up to them like I've never sucked up to an AI before! Their friends are my friends...their enemies are mine too! I've been gifting him stuff all game long! I done my damndest to make sure the only thing he could resent about me was that I had horses... And it has made the game awesome!! It's why I love having the Mongol Horde in the game. They add that... je ne sais quoi :love:

And I got what I deserved for being such a suck up. No declared friendship, no alliance. But he ain't killing me :D

There should be a way of "part winning" a lot earlier in the game. If my score is twice that of my nearest rival, let's face it, it is over. I don't want to have to spend another 20 hours going through the motions, when I will clearly win.

There should be a way of "part winning" a lot earlier in the game. If my score is twice that of my nearest rival, let's face it, it is over. I don't want to have to spend another 20 hours going through the motions, when I will clearly win.

I think you've missed the point of this thread completely, i.e. that
you are happy and satisfied when you can see that you have
absolutely no chance of winning after playing for tens of hours and
hundreds of turns. :)

I’m just amazed that even happens. I’m now up to emperor level and yet to lose.

Well done!
Did you play against more than 30 other civs in your games?

No HOF means i never play past 150 or 200 hundred anymore. When its over its over.

Masochistic Quit

will be the word for this condition.

Depends on how you get your jollies. For me, masochism is calculating to >100
decimal places on one computer while blissing out playing Civ on another.:)

I'm not sure about "Bliss", but Civ6 is one of the very few games I can handle losing somewhat well. When I realize I am not going to win a game, or at least will be an extreme uphill battle, I simply concede. My rational usually being: "I KNOW I can do better next time, cause I made (errors X,Y,Z)."

That, for me, is one of the greatest strengths of CIV games: you always find areas to improve on, and every time you play, you learn new things about the game. Even if it's only subtle, every game is unique. The only other game I have ever found that to apply to, is Magic: The Gathering, which I have (also) been playing for over 20 years...

Depends on how you get your jollies. For me, masochism is calculating to >100
decimal places on one computer while blissing out playing Civ on another.:)

Emm I am referring to your satisfaction being destroyed by the AIs over 20 hours of game play. That is sooooo masochistic lol, but nice.

"Oh Shaka, Lautaro, hit me harder and kill me please."

I can almost hear that voice from your description lol.

Emm I am referring to your satisfaction being destroyed by the AIs over 20 hours of game play. That is sooooo masochistic lol, but nice.

"Oh Shaka, Lautaro, hit me harder and kill me please."

I can almost hear that voice from your description lol.

Your head noises are lying to you. :)
When it gets to that point I'm more than happy to quit and start
a new game.

'Honourable surrender and free exit under arms (limited to clubs only, though) of one regiment and one civilian company, including women and children, with necessary supplies to found a new settlement, and a free passage to and use of the nearest time machine to bring them back in time to precisely 4000 BC, but to a different liveable planet in a different universe, including free choice of the size and a few other geographical features of the aforementioned planet, and a possibility to choose a new team leader from the available candidates.'

If this appears to be too long and you're likely to run out of breath, 'gg' is an acceptable short form ;)

Top Bottom