[BNW] Fun Petra Starts for various VCs - Emperor

drifter238

Chieftain
As I've been going through the BNW learning curve, I picked a few different civs (suited for the VC I wanted to try) and re-rolled (sorry) till I got a Petra start. The games were quite fun - it feels like I'm in slow-motion now in new games without the beloved Petra.

Anyway - I'd figure I'd post the T0 saves in case anyone else wanted to test out BNW with a bit of a head start. My VCs came in around T310 - I'm sure there are lots of ways to bring in earlier times for those that already know the ropes.

Culture Victory with Poland.
poland.jpg

Science Victory with Babylon.
babylon.jpg

Diplo Victory with Venice.
venice.jpg

Attachments

• petrastaCasimir III_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    555.8 KB · Views: 105
  • petraNebuchadnez II_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    549.9 KB · Views: 96
  • petraEnrico Dandolo_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    544.2 KB · Views: 73
Hi, thanks for uploading savegames.
The polish map looks nice. If you like desert with Petra try out the Dutch civ too. Polders on floodplains makes an absurdly powerful and large capital, adding in the observatory like the one you got with Poland also makes it very strong science wise. Getting the DF pantheon in addition and you are very much set for anything.'

Here is a Brazil start that was great for Petra (on Immortal). There is jungle nearby... Took me forever to get a culture victory - was my first try though. With 28 delegates I lost the diplomatic vote that would have won me the game, then got the culture win next turn.

Is it just me or is the diplomatic victory too close to when you would get a culture victory?

If anyone plays this map, would be interested in seeing how you play it!

Attachments

• 0ldAutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
  • Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 724
Poland map was fun. I got a turn 285 culture victory without founding any cities other than my capital. I just took some Spanish cities.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Just tried the diplo with Venice, won on 287. A question: was it also a boring, unending peacefest for you, too?

There's only been one DoW the whole game, between Portugal and Siam, and no action happened. When I won the game, I ranked 1 in soldiers - and I've not built a single unit since the two archers and caravels at the start, only had gifted ones from CS. Kind of a ridiculous performance by AI there IMO.

I played some of the Babylon map, sadly, this is almost not worth building the Petra for.

The other two starts are not good Petra starts at all. Desert does not mean Petra.
A minimum of 4 river desert hills make a good Petra start, otherwise the opportunity cost of the Petra is too high.

Will give the Immortal Brazil a shot - it looks like it might be good for Petra.

EDIT: the Brazil map is not a desert start - bunch of jungle...

Poland map was fun. I got a turn 285 culture victory without founding any cities other than my capital. I just took some Spanish cities.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Holy s. This really shows how huge a gap there is in CV difficulty scaling. No wonder people playing prince or below whined about random enexpected CVs

A little observation, settling a city on flood plains removed the floodplain feature status, which means that the city tile would also become eligible for petra. I don't know how much a difference this will make comapred to settling on a hill, though.

Cant say that these starts are bad, but they are far not godlike. I reroll such starts [all except may be one for brazil] when I want nice Petra city . And reason is rather simple:
obviously Petra is good on desert, but Petra becomes OP only if u have a lot of hills with farms, oasis or sheeps. Also you dont get Petra from start, u need to leave ~70-80 turns without it, so u need some good tiles from start. In perfect conditions - 2-3 salts on plains + a lot of desert hills near river.

I'm not sure what's going on here but, on the Cassimir start, I settle in place and explore. Do a one-turn DoW to capture a worker from a CS then make peace. Backward settle away from the AI for a 2nd city, and on around turn 84 get double-denounce, double-DoW from Catherine and Rakahamahamahamahamahamburglar with around 15 Spanish units arriving on my borders?! Don't recall seeing an aggressive AI opening like that in forever?

I'm not sure what's going on here but, on the Cassimir start, I settle in place and explore. Do a one-turn DoW to capture a worker from a CS then make peace. Backward settle away from the AI for a 2nd city, and on around turn 84 get double-denounce, double-DoW from Catherine and Rakahamahamahamahamahamburglar with around 15 Spanish units arriving on my borders?! Don't recall seeing an aggressive AI opening like that in forever?

You probably DoW'd a protected city state...

Top Bottom