Bombarding stacks of units

Dusty909

Chieftain
I have a question about bombarding units. When I have a catapult, I figured out how to bombard a city.. the command appears in the command box when you have it parked next to the enemy city... My question is that I thought you were supposed to be able to bombard stacks of units as well. The bombard command is not available however, unless I am next to an enemy city.

That's correct. You can only bombard cities.

Dale

Then what are they talking about in the reviews about how effective siege units are against combating "stacks of doom"?

Collatoral damage (which is not bombarding).

I haven't found a stack outside a city to attack with my catapults yet (cannon are coming soon!), but my understanding is that some percentage (10%? 15%?.. probably varies by unit) of the damage you do to whichever unit stepped forward to defend is also applied to the other units in the stack. Some of the promotions will increase this damage. A single catapult by itself isn't going to obliterate and entire stack, but making all the units in it take 10% damage is nothing to sneeze at. And if if do it often enough (or have barracks, theology and hereditary rule), you can stack up the promotions and make the number much bigger (+30%?).

edit: 2kgames has posted the tech poster which includes the promotions. Three promotions to a siege unit gives +50% bombardment damage (or is it 100%? not sure if the promotion percentages stack), and also +10% combat strength vs melee and gunpowder units.

Yeah I thought I read somewhere that you can use siege weapons defensively to weaken stacks of invading forces! What happened to this? Was it never in the game and the people mentioning this were confused or was it taken out in the late stages of the game for some reason?

The stack of doom thing is still the only way to take out a city

I haven't tried, but I assume you simply attack with the catapult like you would with any other unit and the collateral damage will then be inflicted on other units in the stack. Sort of a mix between the way bombardment units worked in civ1 and civ3.

Lorteungen said:
I haven't tried, but I assume you simply attack with the catapult like you would with any other unit and the collateral damage will then be inflicted on other units in the stack. Sort of a mix between the way bombardment units worked in civ1 and civ3.

Yeah that looks like what you have to do! Attack with siege weapon and it will do collateral damage, then hopefully you have movement pts. remaining to retreat your siege gun back into safety of town- assuming the enemy wasn't right outside your town

Most arty only has one move.

What about ships? I've tried to bombard towns with frigates and then destroyers, but I can't find a way to do it. Just "attacking" the city doesn't work. :(

Seige weapon facts

Most Siege weapons can
1. bombard a city...result: siege weapon takes no(0) damage, +city defenses are decreased (some ships can also do this)

2. attack...result: seige weapon will take damage, possibly get killed, however most siege weapons have a high retreat chance, the attacked unit will take damage (possibly get killed) and units stacked with it will take collateral damage.

so a siege can't move back to the town if it successfully attacks a stack, but it likely only attacked the top unit and retreated...leaving a lot of the stack weaker.

attacking with a siege unit on a city (not bombard, and ATTACK) will only damage the one defending unit, no collateral in a city.

I'm 90% sure, anyone confirm?

MirvShag said:
attacking with a siege unit on a city (not bombard, and ATTACK) will only damage the one defending unit, no collateral in a city.

I'm 90% sure, anyone confirm?

I can confirm that you are wrong. I used them extensively to support and elephant and swordman army. When I ATTACKED with the catapult it caused significant collateral damage on the other defending units in a city. This was in a city. Maybe it doesn't happen out in the field?
Anyway, I used to catapults and reduced the defenders strength enough to get the city easily.

Interesting..... collateral always works in field, thought they removed it from cities to make sure they are hard to take... hmm I must investigate. Thats why I gave the 90% =)

You cause collateral damage by attacking like you would with any other unit, move them onto the square where the enemy stack is. You usually lose the catapult by doing this, but not always, they do have retreat ability. Reading the previews I didn't think I would use them much because it seemed like throwning a unit away if it was usually going to be killed in battle. But it only took seeing one that I built by accident in action to change my mind. It is a very effective tactic to soften up a stack with a catapult or two before sending in your Elephants to obliterate it.

Top Bottom