Bonus resources: numbers please

mambo4

Chieftain
I'd really like to know what all the bonus resources in the game are and *exactly* what the bonus they give is.

I've been searching this and other CIV REV forums for this info but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Fish I know gives +2 food...but what about wine,oxen,marble,incense,iron etc...how much more of production/food/etc do I get for them?

What terrain types are each resource limited to? (ie, Fish only in sea squares, iron only in hills?)

I'm surprised nobody seems to have compiled a list yet...

Should be in the Civilopedia.

Of course, that's not much help to you if you're playing the DS version.

EDIT: Or either of the other versions... I just checked the Civilopedia and it doesn't have exact numbers, it only says "bonus" or "significant bonus". :(

Also, I think the bonus from resources changes between eras. If India started the game with access to all resources (at full power) then they would be quite a early powerhouse. They get access to the resources, but it's in the ancient era, so the bonus is weaker.

So I guess if someone was to give the bonuses of each resource, they could also include how powerful the resource is in each era.

Desert:
Spices + 2 trade - tech N/A
Oil + 4 hammers -Combustion
Sulfur: + 2 hammers - Gunpowder

Mountain:
Uranium: + 4 hammers - Nuclear Power
Gems: + 2 gold - tech N/A
Gold: + 2 gold - Currency

Hills:
Coal: + 2 hammers - Steam Power
Iron: + 2 hammers - Iron Working
Aliminium: + 4 hammers - Mass Production

Grass:
Cattle: + 3 hammers - Code Of Laws
Wheat: + 2 food - Irrigation
Incense: + 2 culture - Ceremonial Burial
Silk: + 2 culture - Literacy
Oxen + 2 Hammers - Horseback Riding

Trees:
Oak: 3 hammers instead of 2 - Construction
Game: + 3 food - Feudalism
Rubber: + 3 hammers - Automobile

Plains:
Marble: + 2 hammers - Masonry
Wine: + 2 trade - Pottery

Sea:
Fish: + 2 food - Bronze Working
Whale: + 4 food - Navigation
Dye: + 3 Trade.- Monarchy

This is to the best of my knowledge. If theres any mistakes tell me.

You're missing a couple, at least rubber (trees) and sulfur (desert)...

Could you update that list with all of the resources, and add the prerequisite tech to each of them?

edit

Just noticed that the list isn't correct either...

Whale gives +4 food, dye gives +3 trade, game gives +3 food, Cattle gives +3 food... I believe there are more mistakes, but those are the only ones I'm sure of.

It seems that a few of those bonuses get penalties when you unlock those bonuses in eras before you're 'supposed' to have them.

India 'suffers' a lot from this in order to nerf it a bit. They would be an unstoppable powerhouse if they weren't nerfed. England has this too, with dye.

I've yet to actually see that big of a bonus from the resources. It's still better to settle near them, but it's nothing that you should overstretch your means for. I've found that, unlike the other civ games, you don't need the resources for much of anything. You don't need them for weapons, you don't need them to quickly build wonders (stone as an example) and you don't need them for health or happiness.

In my opinion, the resources in this are like 'super tiles' and nothing more. They're nice to have, and can help specialize a city, but I don't think it's anything worth actively trying for.

Unless you're Japan with lots of coast (fish and whales) or India. Otherwise, naaaah.

The same was true in Civilization II. Resources were useless outside of increasing tile yield.

I'm not sure about this "cap" thing... Spain gets 4 food from whale in the ancient era. And I'm pretty sure England gets 3 extra trade from dye resources.

I'm pretty sure India is the only one that are able to "semi-use" the resources. And they too get full access when they get the tech.

i think you might be right shows what i get for believing the guide

actually i was wrong anyway the guide has it as era +1

2 for ancient
3 for medieval
4 for industrial/modern

Top Bottom