[BTS] BOTM 218: Russia, Prince - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

kcd_swede

Jag är Viking!½
GOTM Staff
BOTM 218: Peter the Great, Prince - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD
Did you win?
Any weird effects from No Espionage setting?
Was the Minor Civ (Terrorists) a plus or a minus to your usual game?
Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 218 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry
Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

Very crazy game!
Spoiler :

Libbed rifling T163 and attacked terrorists with rifles+trebs. I had 2 cities by wang kong and shuffled my army over with galleys (was a little tricky since this baboon Al K Duh was whipping caravels on an inland sea map) War was a bit grindy but straightforward. I got shaka to make paece with him for 200g so I grabbed all his cities to myself.

Terrorists were dead by T209

Alexander was having a great time though

In my defense, once he got to like 12 cities he couldn't be bribed out of his war with roosevelt ("We'd rather win the game, thank you very much..." which I've never seen attached to a peace bribe before) Originally I wanted bombers but decided on nukes since his stack was growing much faster than I thought

Once I had a couple nukes I moved them over to his south border. I bribed Julius to attack him too. That roman rifle south-west of new york prevented me from nuking his stack and for a couple tense turns I was scared he would capture seattle and I'd lose my nukes

Did manage to nuke his stack and pushed his east border with drafted SAMs

Shaka was plotting me at the same time so I rushed my army over there

Quick war with shaka who capitulated quickly

Long grindy war with alexander, it was really just me nuking him to oblivion but it took ages before he would capitulate

GG :thumbsup:

For some reason this game had an ungodly number of great generals born (each of those markers in the ocean corresponds to a GG) When I got rifling T163 there were sixteen and when the game ended on T323 there were forty-one GGs born. Definitely wasn't a peaceful game but that still seems crazy high to me

:shifty:

Thanks for map, was pretty fun

Last edited:
@jnebbe
Looks like a very fun game. Amazing how an AI managed to grow that strong, swallowing up 2 neighbours. You don't see that very often.

This crowd was very war focused indeed in my game too. It didn't get them anywhere though. WangKon withstood an attack Alex did so too. Shaka was messing around. Rather late in the game he got targeted by a holy war and eventually capped to Julius. By that time I already eliminated Wang and Alex (and terrorists). Athens was home to no less than 6 wonders.
Roosevelt tried to be annoying with the ApostolicP but there was always someone else around to attack when a war was stopped.

I took the bait of the terorists to head for the path of conquest. Phi trait also pairs well with a Cuir tech path. And being Russian to move on towards Cossacks was also nice. I didn't do a 100% focused, overly award-competitive game. Set some resources aside to keep developing as well. At the end I made an annoying error to take a peace where I meant to take a capitulation from Mao less than 10T from victory.. This also blocked me from invading Shaka while I invaded Julius from the other side.

I liked the map and the unusual settings, thanks @kcd_swede ! :hatsoff:
I took care of the surprisingly strong Minor Civ, then started warring the regular AI opponents in a clockwise pattern.
Also had lots of fun going for Conquest with Cossacks, but since I played the contender save, my game isn’t comparable with the reports above.

Thanks for hosting, now waiting for the next BOTM to show up…:please:

The early AD continued peacefully for me, as I completed the GLH and Pyramids. Alex, Julius and Shaka all went to war with Roosevelt. When Julius asked me to join the war, I agreed for the diplomatic bonus, then all of those AI promptly made peace! I paid Roosevelt a few gold for peace. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, I saw Mao had been making an unsuccessful attack against Tobolsk, one of the Terrorist cities. I sent some units there, which had reduced the city's cultural bonus when a large Terrorist army appeared, advancing on my city at the end of the peninsula. I pulled my units back for a defense, while Shaka showed up and captured Tobolsk. :rolleyes:

Ultimately, my offensive resumed and the Terrorists were conquered in 1605. Along the way, Julius marched by and captured an independent barb city, which was much more weakly defended than the Terrorist cities. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, Alex and Mao had been warring with WK, and Julius went back to war with Roosevelt. WK offered to become my vassal, but that wasn't worth being drawn into that war. WK then capitulated to Alex. An AP vote brought everyone into the war against Roosevelt in 1615, in the same turn that I declared war on Alex/WK. WK was conquered by 1665. Alex finally bent the knee in 1775. I pressed on with the war with Roosevelt, who was conquered (mostly by me) in 1812.

I could have gone for a peaceful victory (particularly if I had converted from Free Religion to the AP religion of Buddhism), but I decided to continue my plans for world conquest. I picked Shaka for my next target (he still had a large army in Tobolsk). I captured that city first, then built a railroad through China to move my army to the Zulu homeland. Shaka capitulated in 1844.

I declared on Mao in 1850. Julius requested a tech in 1852, which I gladly gave him for ten turns of peace while I carried on the Chinese War. Then Mao capitulated in 1854, leaving me nine more turns to wait before I could declare on Julius. :rolleyes:

While waiting for the final war to begin, I continued my research. I already had infantry and artillery, which greatly outclassed the Roman army. Now Industrialism let me build tanks.

The Roman War began when the peace treaty expired in 1872. Julius capitulated in 1878. I saw my land was now slightly above the Domination threshold, but I decided to keep all of my captured cities, rather than giving a few back to may vassals to ensure a Conquest victory.

So, of course, the computer rolled its dice and awarded me a Domination victory in 1880. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty confident I've earned another Low Score award for my collection. :smug:

I played the contender save. Kind of wish I went with immortal because it looks like a whole lot of fun! Envious of @jnebbe s nukefest. :D
Spoiler Game :

The minor civ was a large suprise, I didn't expect them to be so strong. I settled the stone-city and lost it TWICE to attacks from the Terrorists. Had rotten luck when attacking them too.
Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG

I went for emancipation shortly after, the central peninsula had almost all green tiles cottaged so I got towns/villages very fast and that helped alot keeping the techrate up.
Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

State of the empire when I started the first GA, swappig to paci + emancipation.
Earlier revolts where slavery, then monarchy+burocracy and then represenation+organized religion.
Built a bunch of HAs, and then during the first 5 turns of the second GA (From Taj) I went into a brief stint into police-state+vass+slavery+theocracy, although I forgot to swap to the right religion... And then I whipped alot of cossacks straight.
Rolled over Mao taking all his cities first, then turned my attention to Wang.
All while making a beeline for mass media.
I did save a GEng to rush UN.
Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

Bribed everyone against Rosey to build up shared war bonus, and when he capitulated to Julius I bribed everyone against Wang instead.
Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

The OCC capital...
Tried to avoid scientific meth for the longest time to savour the lovely ToAR+GLib+4 Monasteries as long as possible.
Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

Took 2 turns even with the GEng. Could probably have done that better.
Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG

Julius is second biggest, so he will be my competitor. I bribe the both other guys against him and declare on him too.
Alex have to be in free religion so I can buddy up in Shakas religion.

I also swap to vass (Alex favourite) and then into pacifism (not needed) and buddhism. (Had 2 Buddhist cities. :D )
Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG

Right after I declared on Julius, Shaka wanted to become my vassal, but I didn't dare do that, figured that could jepordize the votes from Alex. Perhaps that was unwarranted as Alex where friendly with Shaka too.
Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG

I was very annoyed with the "No espionage" option. Apparantly that made all cities needing 20 culture to pop borders which was extra annoying. (Or is this because of classical era start...? )
That also took away the option to check if the AIs where building wonders (by peeking at huge costs in "sabotage production" in cities.
So no fan of that setting.

I liked the Terrorists, they gave a dash of always war. And I really enjoyed getting my city conquered twice by them because I underestimated them. :D

Classical era start was abit fun too, haven't really tried that before.
I liked the central peninsula too. :)

All in all, a nice, fun and relaxing game, thank you very much for hosting!

"And I really enjoyed getting my city conquered twice by them because I underestimated them. :D"

Great! I'll make sure that happens a lot in the next one (in honor of the 30th anniversary of Civ).:evil:

Maybe one day I'll win immortal without nukes but that day hasn't come yet

Thats even more impressive tbh.
To have the grit to slog on way into the lategame, pulling out alot of creative tricks out of the hat to get an edge is very nice.
In fact, I think thats exacly the piece missing for very many players, who have a good solid grasp of early game micro, and likewise master strategic thinking, for them to win imm/deity.

I know I certaly was missing that piece for ages at least. :)

Destroying the Terrorists took a bit too long. I stopped whipping units so as to keep a higher research rate during the war. As a consequence, I didn't have enough units for a second army group to claim some poorly defended cities. The Terrorist was wiped out in AD1400. Then WK, Alex, Roosevelt JC, Mao, and at last Shaka. In this game Roosevelt did a pretty good job in fighting against Alex and JC. He sent an army of 20+ units consisting of knights and siege weapons when I DOW. I left Athens empty to lure him in. In the next turn his army was slaughtered and he capitulated giving me a city he took from Alex. Towards the end, my power was about 3 times that of my strongest opponent.

Thank you @kcd_swede for a fun game! Minor civ was definitely a highlight - they were suprisingly strong, feisty, teching well, building wonders and fighting smarter than a typical AI! Map was also very interesting and the minor civ was located very strategically, blocking entrance to the mainland donut.

The minor civ surprised me with an unexpectedly strong attack and I forgot to switch civics (out of pacifism and caste) at the end of the first golden age (like in lockdown game). I hate anarchy, hoping to get Taj soon, but took longer than planned. Anyway, there is probably not enough time to finish this game - and I am much less motivated now since this blunder - so onto a Lincoln game, Mac save is now posted :). I will prolly finish it later as conquering with cossacks was fun in my test games.

After a longish hiatus because of the holidays I finished this game a couple of days ago with a Space Victory. Pretty late in 1844AD IIRC, I guess the classical start had something to do with that too (besides mediocre play of course, haha). The terrorists were conquered in the 1100s with trebs and medieval stuff, later knights, from there conquered Korea, vassaled Greece, then conquered China and half of the Zulu empire without vassaling to avoid domination. Nice green and rivers so a standard communist rush to the stars, be it on a lazy summer pace. ;)

Went with the challenger save.

Great map! Definitly one of the more enjoyable civ 4 games.

Used my archer to camp the terrorist at a hill. Reinforced with a spear and a axe. Kind of stifled the terrorist that way. While I teched for catapults. Whit 4-5 cats.. 2-3 axes i managed to snipe the terror cap. While they were stacking units in the wrong city (a hill city I wouldent be able to break whit my current army) after they broke their defensive positions.. to counter attack and I managed to take the terrorist before 300 ad I think. Then i had a ton of land and wonders to build. Got TGLH, MOM, GLIB, Parthanon (should have gone for mids.. but dident manage to hook up stone in time).

Ended up having the ap religion and be elected the leader. Which enabled a trade block and other shannaningens. Also brided shaka on Julius. The general tech pace was slow. Alexander got korea and then went for lincon .

Had 3x goldenages running and just curried down everyone. And later got cavalry. Won around 1540 ad. With 40 cities

Had a agreat gane!

Is it possible to test if i could upload my game? Currious if it works.

Last edited:
Is it possible to test if i could upload my game? Currious if it works.
Nope--software closes things down after the submission deadline.

Glad you're enjoying the old games. If I didn't play so slowly, I'd do it a lot more often.

Top Bottom