[BTS] BOTM 269: Julius Caesar, Immortal - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 269: Julius Caesar, Immortal - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD

Did you win?

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 269 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

First? Dom (and Conquest) 1665. As reported in the 1AD spoiler, I went after Toku first, capturing 4 or so cities before I ran out of steam. Monte then attacked me and I managed to vassalize him. Catherine then attacked poor little me, but not very effectively; I protected my exposed soon-to-be-Moai city, captured one of hers, and took peace. Once I'd built up a decent force again, I attacked her and her new vassal Toku, wiping out him and eventually vassalizing her after taking a lot more cities than I thought would be necessary. From there it was pretty quick to subdue Hannibal, Pericles, and finally Wang. I followed my usual path to Steel and grens (and eventually rifles and cavalry), which were ignored by a couple AI who worked up to Assembly Line--didn't do 'em much good without Gunpowder, though. (I think Wang had just gotten Gunpowder when I vassalized him.)

The toroidal fantasy map kind of hurt my head, but it worked out a bit faster than usual for me. The AI seemed to build fewer units than usual. Maybe maintenance costs messed them up? The cheap Roman courthouses were certainly welcome, in any case. Thanks for the game, DS! I finished one! And surely the OCC game will be quick, right? :)

Last edited:
I missed out on an espionage cultural victory by 13 turns after Greece won via UN in 1870s. Never tried one of those before... so close.

Here's my 3x level 1 population Legendary culture cities. Praetorians v cavalry to take them off the opposition
13 turns too late cultural victory 1886 v2.png

13 turns too late cultural victory 1886.png

I didn't upload my incomplete game because I thought there was one more day. No worries... I was finally beating Japan when they capitulated to Russia who was Happy with me, and I had to give Russia a city to end the war. Maybe I'd get somewhere if I took my forces in another direction (trebs and knights) but more likely it would have ended more painfully. :run: Congrats to the winners, this was a tough one considering the neighborhood of meanies.

Given my bad starting situation with the double war, I figured I would aim for the cow award, so a slow almost domination with siege based armies, then space? I wanted to not capitulate anyone (Monty, Toku or WK), as it would also hurt my standing with the 3 other, more powerful AIs that were friendly most of the game.

Got to steel first and bribed Hannibal (military leader, but behind in tech compared with the creative, wonder building AIs) into a joint war on Catherine, who was snowballing a bit fast tech wise, and her vassal WK. Cossacks are pretty tough when you don't have rifles yet (pikes are surprisingly still relevant here), but managed to take her wonder-packed city of St Petersbourg before she capitulated to Hannibal (being the weakest AI left since I fully eliminated the weakest 3). That left half my army stranded in the city with no peaceful way to open borders until centuries later when she reverted to cautious.

Nevertheless, after that I got to State Property and that made this map so much easier (200 gold in maintenance savings from SP alone, even after spamming ORG courthouses). Went to war against Pericles with tanks and artillery, and also built Apollo project, but ran out of time for the deadline so I had to settle for whatever victory would present itself which was *check notes* a 20th century, post-UN religious victory... A fitting end to that strange map, which was in any case very fun to play!

I only dared to do this on monarch.
  • Firts WW
    • just about as my Praetorian rush was to begin, Monty, Toku and Catherina declared.
    • I took most Monty´ s land, and was able to destroy army of Toku, but Catherine pushed me back to Rome, razing 2 cities on the way. Then, without sufficient artillery, she destroyd several armies of hers agains Rome defenders.
  • Second aztec war:
    • I took his remaining cities and a lot o barb cities around. This was still done with praets.
    • I had good relations with Pericles and Wang.
  • second japan war.
    • I initiated with Praets again but only had marginal succes. Cathy declared again and I was soon on defensive
  • WW 2
    • hannibal, cathy and Toku declared on Pericles
    • Perciles asked for protection and I agreed, leading to immeadiate war with those three.
    • Toku vassaled to Cathy
    • Greeece lost a lot of cities, but eventually I destroyed Hannibals and Cathy s stacks, and started conquering Japan. This was fought with cannon/ rifleman stacks, as I never in the game had horses
    • this war never ended, although cathy and Hannibal offered peace, it was obvious Hannibal would vassalize to her any way, and he refused to capitulate to me. he eventually did it anyway
    • slowly infantry and tank brigades started to appear (tanks only on my side)
      • this let to demise of japan and carthage, leaving cathy with no vassals. after her stacks and few cities were lost , she capitulated, ending WW2 and the game.
  • wang was eventually angry with me, but luckily didn´t declare, as he was racing for space. I used massive espionage on him - techs, religion change, civics change etc.

note
fligh seems to hurt the ais, they overbuild airships

these land maps are alway full of drama and entertaining, but very time consuming. In the end i stopped improving terrain and only cared if on some front full stacks or multiple cities were lost.

1712743240272.jpeg

One thing I didn't mention in my previous post is the espionage usage given the Great Wall. As I mentioned in the 1 AD upgrade I'm not sure it was a great decision in retrospect, given that the map was more cramped than expected (maybe the CRE AIs and the toroidal wrap helped here). That said, I spent my great spy points in tech steals and city revolts against Korea (latter were a good way to deal with those PRO castles pre gunpowder), and used another great spy later to launch a golden age.

The other particularity of this game is that courthouses were much more valuable than usual, having them everywhere meant also more espionage (independent on the chunk of points from the great spy) so I could passively get city visibility on my next war target, rather useful.

EDIT: I also just realized how the weird AP victory happened. Greece had both the AP and UN in Sparta and the UN already passed worldwide free religion. However when I conquered that city, since I did not have Mass Media myself, the AP reactivated (was not obsolete anymore) and since no one was a member (no religions), only the AP owner was eligible for AP diplo victory, yet the victory was still possible, which I didn't realize was a thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom