1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

boycott of civ 4 in UK NOW!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by troyDoogle7, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Overlag

Overlag Prince

its not against the law to walk across the road in the UK.... its the US......:confused:

2. Jürgen Hubert

Jürgen Hubert Chieftain

I faintly remember what this "peer pressure" thing was that the other kids were talking about. I only found out at the age of 27, when I was drafted into the military. ;)

Yes, it is annoying, and some complaints are appropriate. Still, I think a few people here are overacting...

3. balearicrazy

balearicrazy Warlord

I'll join the boycott but I annicipate giving in around November 4th.

4. Grizpin

Grizpin Chieftain

umm.... there's absolutely nothing else you can do with your time while you wait for the game? We are consumers of a mass audience. They will do the best to meet the needs of the audience as a whole. They would hate to see you not buy thier product but they won't starve if you don't either. I used to get just as livid about these issues. I've become numb to the abuse and take it as it comes... "thank you sir may I have another?!?!"

5. happy_Alex

happy_Alex Happiness set to 11

6. Overlag

Overlag Prince

i did the same with civ3, and i now own all 3 versions of it...i just use them as demos to see if i want to buy it....ive never looked back

7. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

Their credentials in the PC Games selling arena are pretty scant and they are sooo expensive. This wasn't always the case...early 90s, Union Street, Aberdeen that Virgin Megastore was a lifeline of computer games.

8. jakswan

jakswan Chieftain

Well he does have a point with regards to piracy, how many would happily pay for it but don't want to wait. They get it and then don't buy it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's right but the internet has been around for a long time, surely the game company could just say 'Look download it here pay £25 and you'll have it today'.

I think that would make a big difference to game companies finances.

9. TerraHero

TerraHero Terranigma Guru

i really wonder who gets hurt by a boycot?

Supose i dun buy the game, ill live. Actually got 40-50euros left to spend.

Firaxis/2K will be missing out on 50euro's

So looking the scale of loss, i think its bigger to firaxis then the guy not buying a game, since firaxis needs money to stay alive, but the person not buying it "could" live without it.

10. Alistic

Alistic Warlord

Man how can you boycott the only strategy game thats worth the $$ in the past 4 years.

11. THARN

THARN Warlord

some of these posts remind me of why I don't play online games that much anymore.
    Might have to pass around some diapers for these cry babies.

The ONLY reason you should complain about a game and who creates it is if the game isn't good. But to go off the deep end because you have to wait a week to get your hands on it is just preposterous.

12. jkp1187

jkp1187 Unindicted Co-Conspirator

What happened to stiff upper lip old boy? I guess the sun has finally set on England.... :D

13. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

Raging is very different from whining.

14. dpaajones

dpaajones Old England Forever

I can't believe what some people are saying here - we're talking about the greatest game since Civilization II and just because it's been delayed by a week people don't want it!! :crazyeye:

Ludicrous! :rolleyes:

I'm keeping my play.com order. For £17.99 it's well worth it. And I'll still get it when everyone else does - on the official release day! :lol:

So people, please stop whinging! :mischief:

15. Urederra

Urederra Mostly harmless

:lol: good one, I cannot say it better.

It is like throwing stones at your own windows, It is you the one that will be hurt.

16. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

This is excellent news. It means I can continue to pretend its coming out on Friday without being completely alone. :D

17. Magic Cat

Magic Cat Chieftain

Haha - I don't think you'd ever own, play, do, eat, drink anything if you boycotted it cos it was released a week later than planned! I'm sure other Engineers on this forum are laughing at the thought of projects being 100% on time lol. I'm slightly gutted in that my current contract ends this week & I was hoping I could pass a few days 'between jobs' playing Civ4. But my plan has changed - I'm gonna jump on a plane, lay on some tropical beaches for a bit and when I fly back Civ 4 will have been released. Woo & indeed, Yay.
    Cheers

18. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Indeed, it's a pretty stupid reasoning, troyDoogle7. It might have worked if you had actually convinced many people to do the same. But you haven't, so in the end you'll never have the game when every other civver in the UK will be playing it. Nobody has any plausible reason to follow you, it's just utter impatience.

The thing is that if you get killed, the driver who ran you over gets away. Your familiy can't bring him to court because you didn't cross the street when you should've to.

19. Daze

Daze Chieftain

What are you getting annoyed about. It costs a certain amount of money to get a factory producing the discs and then a certain amount of money for each disc produced, so it is only financially feasable to have maybe one or two factories producing the game. These factories will be producing other dics too so will have to be "rented" for civ4 when they finish their previous production run.

2K need a certain number of copies of the game to launch in a particular country, so with the limited production faclities available they have a choice, produce enough games to launch in one country and then store them while they produce the games for all the other countries or release the games in their best markets as soon as they have enough copies for that market.

So what do you want troydoogle, for everyone to have to wait until the 4th November (and for costs to go up) or for some to get it sooner and us get it on the day they said they would release it to us (as opposed to the day amazon said they'd sell it to us).

PS: With fans like you in the UK I can see why 2k aren't releaseing here first

20. rob.derosa

rob.derosa Chieftain

dunnow what its like in argentina. but here its called wreckless driving to drive through a red light. lol:crazyeye: