Brutal Dictators

I too am a bastard.

I whip my people until MY hands bleed.
I run slavery almost all the time.
I think nothing of razing useless cities I conquer just to make the remaining worthwhile cities capitulate.
I think even less of the losses my Vassal's incur so long as MY people, cities, resources, units remain unscathed.
When feeling generous I may (stress MAY) positition a defender in my Buffer Vasssal's cities just to rob him of the GG points (thus far the only success I've had with Machine Gunners).
I spread my faith far and wide, and should I assume a city without it I convert the heathens into ash along with the city if it even looks like the city might take any effort to make it worthwhile.
I raze enemy cities just to push their cultural borders back.
Emancipation is an untested concept therefore having no place in Crightonia, Vassalage & Theocracy being the watchwords of my rule.
I solve my War Wearniess problems via the whip.
I whip conquered cities down to 1 if possible to get their buildings up and running faster.
I have actually gotten tripple digit negative diplo modifiers from my alleged use of nuclear weapons (Im sure those @#$%ing hippies were whining about "global warming" too).
I will start wars for resources I don't even need, let alone the ones I do need.
I pay others to fight my wars only so I can have peace and prosperity (while I ramp up the invasions of my mercanaries).
Diplomacy is only a distraction, glad you're friendly with me, don't mind those stacks on the border they're just on holiday is all.

Ironically, outside my unit production cities, my people love and cherish me. I build them temples to make offerings in and to pray for my continued reign. I build markets for them to shop in with only the slightest of taxes. I "negotiate" the acquisition of marvelous wonders throughout the empire. The people love my overdevelopement of luxurious resources.

I am generally nice, except when I decide to commit acts of mass genocide by razing a city. I will also start an offensive war if I think necessary expansion is being blocked off for my empire. Of course, I blame both of these on the opponent, the first for not protecting their city enough, and the second for trying to cut off my expansion.

On a much less sadistic note, I am generally nice to my people. I will enable the slavery civic, but I've never used it. Similarly, I'll run Nationalism to have a nice backup plan if necessary, but have never forced people into battle.

As for battle, I generally try to put my side in the best position possible to win and to spare the least lives. I will not pointlessly send an non-upgraded warrior into a city in late-game to spare the 1 gold per turn (or whatever) I would gain otherwise.

If it means that I can eliminate a major threat to my Civilization, and have 45% chance to do it this turn, I will do it. I won't risk the enemy upgrading or building more units. Again, it's less than 50%, but if I've been declared war on, it puts my troops in the best position to win.

Nevertheless, if I become dictator of some country somewhere, it's safe to say I won't do half of these things, unless I find it necessary for the survival of my people. However, the object of the game is to win, and if it means knowing a rifleman or two will go down fighting units fortressed in a city, and there are a bunch of offensive units ready to attack me in the opponent's city as soon as I get through them , I will take that sacrifice in order to cut off the offensive units as quickly as possible.

I think that really I am a benevolent leader who is just misunderstood. I really love my people, so it's only natural that I would do anything at all to ensure the continuation and flourishing of that people. Sometimes it's kinda tough love, but I think they understand.

So yes, I race to Bronze Working and instantly enslave my people - for their own good, of course - and I will take my hand to the whip and not let it go for all the millenia until emancipation comes along (and even then maybe not). And if it does happen, you better believe there will be some serious mass burials the turn before.
Seriously, caste system? The only castes in my empire are whip-holder, slave, and cannon fodder.
Need axemen? Whip. Need granaries? Whip whip whip (to quickly get even more people to whip). People whinging or sick or just generally not doing much? Whip.
I rarely draft since it's not worth the anarchy and whipping with vassalage/theocracy works a charm anyway. Unless I'm spiritual, of course. And if I capture the pyramids, you'd better believe I'll spend the longest time running a police state. Although sometimes I'll grant universal sufferage and let my slaves cast votes just before I whip them to death because that's the kind of nice guy I am.

Right from the start, I'll be whipping conscripts into my army, clearcutting every tree in sight to arm them, and marching them off in suicidal rushes against anyone I can find. Even when there are massive tracts of prime land left unclaimed, I'd still rather build axes and let my neighbour build my settlers (and most of my workers) for me.
I will attack to claim land, I will attack to get resources, I will attack to get a couple of workers, I will attack to get promotions and great generals, but I will most often attack just to ruin a neighbour who looks to be getting a bit uppity and successful, regardless of whether the war directly aids me or not.
If his cities are tough, it just means I need to whip out a couple of extra cannon fodder waves to send to die gloriously softening up the defenders for my elite troops.
If one of them is extra tough, I'll just pillage it back to the stone age, take his other cities, sue for peace if I can demand a tech or two, then come back a few turns later with swords and catapults and finish the job.
If a captured city doesn't suit my needs, I'll raze it, even if it's a holy city half full of wonders. If I keep the city, I'll whip until I can barely lift my arm. Conquered civilians in my empire have an even lower life expectancy than catapult operators (those glorious martyrs!).
And when the war is over, peace will generally reign for just as long as it takes for my troops to heal up and get to the border with my next most powerful neighbour.

Nukes usually come a bit late for my tastes, but I am still rather fond of them.

Despite all this, I am often well-liked by a fairly large amount of the world, and I work hard to foster good relations.
I don't usually bother with vassals, since I'd rather wipe them out and save myself the diplomatic penalty that makes it that much harder to bribe everyone else into attacking each other and pointlessly ruining their economies.

I will almost never found a religion for my peoples' spiritual edification, but will instead cynically force on them the religion of my most useful current ally and then use it as an excuse to whip my people even harder. And if I happen to be in a three-civ religious "alliance" bloc with nobody else worth killing, I will send out heathen missionaries to convert one of my "allies" to a false faith while mouthing pious platitudes to the other to incite the two to war and then stab both in the back in turn.
My best friends are often Isabella and Montezuma, and we have kickin' parties with lots of sacrifices and heretic burnings and Montezuma always brings tequila so we all get plastered and wake up in the morning to find we've razed half of India to the ground. Somehow the invites to Gandhi's parties always get "lost in the post".

You know what's brutal? Forcing your people to languish in impoverished backwardness because you WON'T whip them and go slaughter all your neighbours so you can take their stuff. You monsters.

Nice... neah!!!! AWESOME!!!!! :lol: the funniest I read on this site so far!

My favourite part:

My best friends are often Isabella and Montezuma, and we have kickin' parties with lots of sacrifices and heretic burnings and Montezuma always brings tequila so we all get plastered and wake up in the morning to find we've razed half of India to the ground.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Whipping to complete the Globe Theater. No that's not ironic AT ALL

I love the draft :)

Top Bottom