BTS - with mod Realism:Invictus ver. 3.5 Screenshots from my game

Hmmmm.

Civ4ScreenShot0034.JPG

It's a very tempting proposition - but I'd rather give the Vikings a black eye.

Then the Greeks must come later. The Germans don't seem to be that dangerous now - at least not nearly as dangerous as when we had some border disputes.

A golden chance for a good war against the Vikings has just arisen. They have declared war on Hungary.....

So in a little while - when I have 7-8 catapults ready - it's time for my first aggressive war.
Civ4ScreenShot0038.JPG

Here we go!

Civ4ScreenShot0040.JPG

And an overwiev of my army:
Civ4ScreenShot0041.JPG

My biggest fear now is an attack in the back. I know that more than 60 Viking units have passed southeast between my towns a little to the east. But I also think/hope that the Vikings must have had many losses. They have been at war with both the Finns and the Hungarians.

Civ4ScreenShot0042.JPG

6 vikings killed just north of Tameswar - but 9 more is comming from the southeast.
Civ4ScreenShot0045.JPG

The city of Jelling has been conquered:
Civ4ScreenShot0044.JPG

All 9 viking units destroyed - at a cost of 8 of mine, more costly than I did expect considering the type of enemyunits :cry:

However not all news is half-bad. An enemy breakout-attempt from Uppsala was stopped with only a minimal loss of troops.
Civ4ScreenShot0050.JPG

P.s.: If this is too detailed, pls write so :splat:

Ok, I'll continue. At least until someone screams: :wallbash:ENOUGH! :spank:

Here came a somewhat unpleasant surprise. A declaration of war from the Turks.
Civ4ScreenShot0051.JPG

It's not because the enemy is insanely strong - but it's still stronger than my defenses. So I guess it's best to leave the area for a while - and only come back when I'm strong enough to smack him and his warriors into their helmets
Civ4ScreenShot0052.JPG

What I'm wondering about is that why did you attack with such a huge stack instead of smaller ones? Isn't the penalty from being over the stack-limit too penalizing?
Now it has been 47 years since I was really (as in really-really) good at arithmetic and mathematics.....So.... you might be right.

But I like to play a bit tactically and strategically like this - and not think too much about the "small" details. I could definitely do a lot of "things" better - but I don't really "want to".......... Call me lazy - just a little bit.

Now it has been 47 years since I was really (as in really-really) good at arithmetic and mathematics.....So.... you might be right.

But I like to play a bit tactically and strategically like this - and not think too much about the "small" details. I could definitely do a lot of "things" better - but I don't really "want to".......... Call me lazy - just a little bit.

Hehe, it's okay, and I understand :) I'm also not the min-maxer type of guy...

I was just wondering if it's indeed a valid strategy (enjoying the advantages of a huge stack) or the penalties are just too crippling :think:

Updates from yesterday:

The skirmishes around Uppsala continue. Viking skirmishers are (a little too) effective - now we'll see how it goes.

The Turks destroyed my small town and then sent their full force against my defenders at a nearby river. I had no "weapon" that could match their battle-hardened war elephants - so I accepted a peace treaty. Price: About 470 gold.
Civ4ScreenShot0056.JPG

Very well I did, for shortly afterwards my spy saw more Turkish troops on the way up towards my people......

Last edited:
The viking capital has been taken. I left the siege at Uppsala - I do hope the Hungarian troops are able to keep the Vikings at home, while I'm busy elsewhere.

Civ4ScreenShot0063.JPG

Some turns later Mother Nature hit me. And she hit hard. 2 gigantic tsunamies hit my eastcoast (hmmm, oh well Austria is obviously not a mountainous country here.....)

First Prague, 2 citizens and 5 buildings..
Civ4ScreenShot0057.JPG

Then Baden a little northwest of Prague, another 2 citizens and 5 buildings.....:
Civ4ScreenShot0064.JPG

See, that is also exactly what I did want with my changes to the nature-events. Disasters could and should be really.... disasters. Something, that you can feel and have to take action on. Not something "just" annoying.

Just beautiful.

My dear friends :shifty:- the Hungarians - captured and burned Uppsala:devil:.

So now I could propose to Birger Jarl to make peace with me - and he did.
Next moves are to move my troops (incl my own war-elephants) east-southeast to the border with Poland (friendly nation, but at war with the Turks from before) - and to consolidate with new cities in this whole large area (see screenshot below)
Civ4ScreenShot0074.JPG

Not much to report since yesterday.

I did expand as I wrote I would in the north.

Had a small - but passive - war with the Finns. They sailed a mid-sized fleet around my northern cities but did nothing. After some time without military activities, some "foreign" mediators suggested that we accept a peace, which we both did.

Orthodoxy has been founded "by the book" so to speak. The Greeks did it as far as I can tell - and their leader actually prefers this religion. Now we'll see if he also changes from the current one......
Civ4ScreenShot0057.JPG

BTW the Greeks. Recently I had a little diplomatic dispute with them and got a -1 in relations. It might look like it's leading to trouble - but they need a few more troops before I get nervous.
Civ4ScreenShot0055.JPG

Last for now. I'll have my first stonemine in 5 turns. Will be made in a little town up in the cold north...
Civ4ScreenShot0077.JPG

It was the Greeks, who founded orthodoxy - and here they converted.
Civ4ScreenShot0089.JPG

As for the troops that I noticed approaching. They were not Greek, but Numidian. I just didn't get a good enough look at first.

Well, but they came, they saw - and they were beaten. And then they were beaten again. And then they were wiped out. And then I got peace plus gold.

Civ4ScreenShot0084.JPG

Updates since last time:

Just building up and upgrading all units with 2 or more promotions. Units with 0 (zero) or 1 promotion were dismissed and assigned places in the soldiers' home for retired veterans.

Ohh, nearly forgot this: King Yusuf ibn Tashfin of Mauretania (also known as the Berbers) declared war against me again. Well he got a lesson: Don't bring too many catapults with you, unless you are sure to reach the citywalls. He didn't.

And now to something completely different: I declared war against the Germans.

I didn't expect to run into a large German army as soon as I crossed the border - but I did.....

Then I got the crazy idea to change the graphics from single unit mode to what is probably the default. I have to write - it looks quite good, but it's hard to keep track. However, I succeeded. Both my armies are still alive.......

Some screenshots of the battles to follow

And now to something completely different: I declared war against the Germans.

I didn't expect to run into a large German army as soon as I crossed the border - but I did.....

Then I got the crazy idea to change the graphics from single unit mode to what is probably the default. I have to write - it looks quite good, but it's hard to keep track. However, I succeeded. Both my armies are still alive.......

Some screenshots of the battles to follow

Goodday,

I notice you don't use the "military" icons much, but instead show the resources throughout the game, that would make it harder to keep track of the locations of your own troops as well the movements of the enemy... any particular reason for that ?

Civ4ScreenShot0096.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0097.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0098.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0099.JPG

Top Bottom