BTS - with mod Realism:Invictus ver. 3.5 Screenshots from my game

Civ4ScreenShot0110.JPGCiv4ScreenShot0111.JPGCiv4ScreenShot0112.JPGCiv4ScreenShot0113.JPGCiv4ScreenShot0114.JPG
Somehow I'm not sure if the screenshots comes "in right order" when I press printscreen so fast - but it still gives a good idea...

Civ4ScreenShot0123.JPGCiv4ScreenShot0124.JPGCiv4ScreenShot0125.JPGCiv4ScreenShot0126.JPGCiv4ScreenShot0127.JPGCiv4ScreenShot0128.JPGCiv4ScreenShot0129.JPG

Last for now: Status and placement of my Northern and Eastern armies after the first 2 battles:

Civ4ScreenShot0057.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0055.JPG

Goodday,

I notice you don't use the "military" icons much, but instead show the resources throughout the game, that would make it harder to keep track of the locations of your own troops as well the movements of the enemy... any particular reason for that ?

Hmmm - never used this feature. I do not know why - guess I didn't knew it was here and therefore never needed it.

1st German city taken.

Lost 6 units, killed 5.
Civ4ScreenShot0077.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0078.JPG

Not much has happend since last post.

My war with the Germans has ended. I got 3 of their cities including above - the Greeks and Portuguese took the rest - end of that nation.

Since then I'm still doing my best to catch-up with the best in tech. I'm still somewhat behind, but not as much as before. And I have settled 5 new cities, partly in two open "gaps" between the former German cities, partly in the north along the coast towards northwest.

I'm still a little puzzled that the AI seems a little reluctant to expand with more cities. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the distance between the cities. I've been using 6 tiles of distance throughout the whole game, a distance I've used before with no problems.

But maybe it's because there is so little "money" present in the game that the AI can't really "afford" to make more cities.... Anyway, I'm not able to add "more money" to the game, it has to come as the game expands with more knowledge and technology - and it's slow because that's what the game is "set up for"- but I can try to reduce the distance between the cities to 5. At least for the next 100 to 200 turns. And then see what happens.

I'm not too worried about running into the memory problem on save files (the famous 4Mb), because it seems that a game on a flatmap can handle a significantly larger savefile than a game on a roundmap. I've written a bit about it in the RI forum in the past, but nothing "useful" has come of it. Yet.

But now I want to make an attempt. At worst I just need to change the distance back and then replay the last 100-200 turns.

So it's not because I haven't continued playing or that nothing has happened in the last several days when I haven't updated the page.

I "just" haven't gotten it done.

So something must be done about it - now!

1st. I'll continue with some presentation of my fellow-leaders (oh noooo, I "hear" some say).......

Here is a true warmonger.Here we have a real "warrior". Alp Arslan, leader of the Turks. I have already been at war with him once......

Right now he is busy defeating Poland together with the Greeks. Poland is (soon was) my buffer against, among other nations, the Turks, so I'm not entirely happy about that. I am also not happy that my common border with the Greeks is being extended to this "continent" - the border is quite long by now......
Civ4ScreenShot0058.JPG

Next leader is Ekeuhnick of the Finnish Empire. Baby it's cold outside - just look how good warm his clothes are. When you look at his cities and country, you can understand it... With the sound on, you can hear the cold wind "hooting" in your ears......

Incidentally, I also had a little war with him - passive war, but still a kind of war.

Right now he is at war with the Russians and has lost quite a few cities - more on them (the Russians) later...
Civ4ScreenShot0060.JPG

A few "pictures" from the cold north (the huge wasteland of the Finns - although somewhat smaller now than before):
Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Last edited:
Mindaugas - ooohhh yes. Rather unlucky leader of Lithuanian. Nobody really liked him. Not the Ukrainians, not the Russians, not the Turks and, for that matter, not the Finns or the Poles either....

His country is currently part of (hmmmmm - remember this is just a game) but mostly Russian - and a little Turkish.
Civ4ScreenShot0061.JPG

While we are at it. Shouldn't we just finish that area...

The next leader is Vasile Lupu from the Ukrainian. He isn't a perfect choice as he isn't from Ukraine and he lived "out of sync" with the other leaders - but never-the-less: He is certainly the best choice I could find among them all (the leaders) - after I had used Vladimir II Monomakh as leader for the Russians.

I didn't get to meet the person in question - he died long time before I reached that area. But during one of my initial tests, where I checked that everyone got off to a reasonable start (using WB) - I think I can remember that he attacked the Mongols first. And he probably shouldn't have done that.....
Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG

And now for the Russian leader. a somewhat brutal gentleman, but probably not much more than what was standard at the time.

I have "scanned" his waters to find out how big he is. And he is big - and he do not like me (nor do I like him). His family probably originates from either the Scandinavian peninsula (Norway) or the Danish region of Jutland... The first of his family who settled "over east" was named Rurik (next is "stolen" from the Britannica.com site: Rurik, also spelled Rorik or Hrorekr, Russian Ryurik, (died ad 879), the semilegendary founder of the Rurik dynasty of Kievan Rus).

Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

Last edited:
It had to happen - so even if I didn't like it, then.....

Because it was not possible in the long run to simply watch and let the Greeks and Turks divide the Polish territory between them. I simply could not allow that. So the war against Poland was inevitable. The fact that I had very good relations with the Polish leader was something that I had to ignore......

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

And one more from the war:
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

This war ended some hours ago with the defeat of Poland. I "won" 7 cities, but had to pay a rather high price in the form of well-trained troops. But the Polish troops were also quite good after many, many years of constant war with their neighbors to the south and east.

So... now it's about not being too clever (read foolhardy).

The Russians have long been at war with the Finns - and the Finns have taken so many beatings that they now only control a few small islands in the northern Arctic Ocean.

The Russians are also at war with the Greeks. I have seen both their armies and the Russians are by far the largest. That army is heading west, towards some Greek cities, across the - still open - areas that belonged to Poland before I "took over".

In addition, the Portuguese have just declared war on the Greeks and are attacking from the opposite side (south-west).
So now I have some pretty exciting days ahead of me, mostly because I now have a long border directly against the Russians (see screenshots next post).....

I know I will need frigates to keep the Russians from invading me from the sea side. So I can't reduce the emphasis I put on science to free up more gold for a faster upgrade of my musketeers.

Screenshots of the recent conquests of the Russians:

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG

Life goes on - there are not two opinions about that...

The Russians attack the Greeks in one place.... and destoy the target
Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

the Greeks attack the Russians in another place....... and makes a take over.
Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG

Now that isn't anything of my business - is it????

OR????

I told you (wrote it anyway) - the Russian leader is a brutal man. He is also somewhat confident that he will get what he wants.....

Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG

Heck NO. I do not like him and I do know he does not like me either. So....
Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG

That was a surprise I say. Declare war against the "No 1" in this world (me) - and now in war with 3 (well call it 2 and a quarter as the the Finns are almost finished (at least well-done by now)).

Last edited:
So just one final round for today.

2 minor naval battles between mine and the Russian fleet have taken place around one of the northern Finnish islands.

The first encounter ended in a draw as I lost as many ships as the Russians.

The second meeting has not yet been decided. The Russians managed to land a large force on a Finnish island before I could attack their transport ships. So far I have lost one ship and they have lost 3. The battle/pursuit will continue tomorrow.

Civ4ScreenShot0020.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0023.JPG

Last news for tonight is that the Russian army moved from the destroyed Greek city and a little east towards another Greek city, located on a peninsula. They also conquered it - but without destroying it.

In the meantime, I have moved my troops down so that I am now blocking the "exit" from this peninsula.

I will - probably - try to capture this city (and keep it) - but right now I'm not quite sure. Partly because we seem to have the same number of troops, partly because the city is on a hilltop..... and that's not so good (for me).
Civ4ScreenShot0022.JPG

I finally captured Krakow, but I lost many of my troops on that mission. In particular, the first meeting was "expensive", but also a Russian attack from the city with Cossacks was costly. All units in my first attempt to bring reinforcements forward were lost - but the Russians subsequently lost most of their mounted Cossacks.

But in the end it worked out...

To the north, our fleets are still fighting for the upper hand. It helped a lot with some frigates, but they are not completely invulnerable. It will probably take some time before we find out who is the strongest there.

Screenshots are included with the next post .......

Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG

The war against Russia continues - and will continue for quite some time yet as far as I can see and guess..... Until now it has lastet for 50 years (100 turns) and the good Vladimir still refuses to talk. Now - we do not have much to talk about anyway, so.......

First of all after being able to build frigates, I lowered the techrate to give me more gold available to upgrade my best units. So far most - most, not all, not yet - of those with most exp.points in my northeastern lands (the area nearest the Russians) are upgraded to Line Infantery. This is very expensive, but IMHO its better to use trained troops than sending new troops with only the most basic necessary training in combat - they are - again IMHO - just pure cannon fodder....
Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG

Troops in the northwest and my homelands (including what I captured from the Germans a long time ago) are not upgraded to same level - that must be later, but hopefully not too late. You never know what happen in areas, where you do not have full focus.....

But back to the Russian War. I did take 2 of their cities and have just landed my army near a 3rd. So I am backed up by the Fortune of War.
Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG

Or am I ??? Time (and next screenshot might give both you and me a hint.....).
Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG

Edit: I forgot to add to above: Already when I'm able to train the first black-powder units, at least half of the upgrades I make are "aimed" for future use of gunpowder (pitch). I know those kind of units are weak specially towards archers/crossbow men, but then... I'll keep them back until my enemies are weaker......

Last edited:
Just time for a little info about the map.

This game and the newly ended game are the first games I play on a FlatMap since I restarted playing Civ4, using the [BtS] expansion with the R:I mod on top.

I must say (write), that I'm amazed, that games on flat maps seems to be much more - can you call it "stable" or perhaps better at handling the game's resources - than a game on a round map is.
Last game was Flat map, 200*128 tiles (7156 landtiles), 18 starting nations. the final turn after 3.254 turns was at an impressive - impressive for me anyway - 6.083 kB. I've never been up to that before - in fact, I haven't even been close to it.

This game is again with 200*128 tiles with 11079 landtiles including a large number of uninhabitable areas (ice, tundra, steppes (without water) and deserts), and with 25 starting nations including my own.

The maps was generated with the Smartmap.py - and after that, I used a serious amount of time to ajust the map for my prefs.

I have also chosen to almost ignore "latitudes" on the map. It starts with water, sea ice and ice in the north and ends with water/grassland/steppe/deserts in the south. As you might notice, there are no "fixed" limits of e.g. sea ice along the entire edges - it has proven to be completely unnecessary and a waste of "good" playing-tiles. I simply do not understand why so many map-generators put such "border-limits" on the map.

Back to my Russian War.

As expected, it turned out to be nothing more than a short visit - at least not at first. It quickly became clear that I was unwanted on that island.....
Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG

Top Bottom